Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Talking Picking Up 1961 Caravel

We are leaving Saturday morning to pick up my "new" 1961 Caravel. I am excited to get going and eager to finally meet both Angie (Farm_Girl) and the Caravel (who needs a name badly).

I think we have everything we need for the trip. The trailer brakes and lights work, has new tires and bearings have been repacked. Durango has new hitch, wiring and brake controller. I have maps, AAA triptik and one week vacation for the trip. I don't know why I am so nervous. Maybe because I have never done this before???

Anyway, soon our Airstream will be home where she belongs. I say "she" because with pink appliances it must be a girl.

Kaye
kayelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Picking Up 1961 Caravel

Greetings Kaye!

Congratulations on your acquisition. One caution that I might make is that, if you haven't done so already, you will need to verify that the height of your hitch ball is correct for the Caravel - - the height according to the Airstream Weight and Measures page is 17.5". I suspect that your Durango may need a rather significantly dropped drawbar in order to achieve this ball height. Towing, even for short distances, with a hitch that is too high can have both handling as well as coach damage issues - - I thought that I could tow my Minuet the relatively short distance home with a hitch that was less than 2" too high, and succeeded in damaging the dump valve termination components exiting the previous owner's driveway.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Welcome to Airstreaming (and the wonderful world of 61's)! Looks like you got a great trailer--and gotta love those pink appliances (soooo Jane Mansfield)!

Kevin is right about the hitch height--though don't panic if it's too high! There are adaptors you can get for a reasonable cost (I think we paid about $70) that will attach to your existing car hitch. You can get this at a trailer supply store.

While you are at the trailer shop, you'll want to buy a "blue boy"--a plastic grey water tank (grey water is the leftover water from showers, sinks, etc.). On the old trailers, they just let this drain off, but trailer parks won't allow that these days (I suppose there's something bad about soapy water). We were advised to get one of the big ones with wheels--that was certainly good advice, since the wheels make it much easier to handle.

When you pick it up, have the previous owners show both of you how to start up everything--and if you can, take notes and photos. It's kind of tricky with these old ones to light the fridge, water heater, heater, dump, make connections if you aren't familiar with trailers. I picked up our trailer by myself and a few months later I had the darnest time figuring out how to get the fridge started (but I did remember, finally)!

You may want to go down to the library and borrow (or buy) a good book or two about rv maintenance. That way, if a problem occurs, you will have a reference to work with. It's also good for the checklists they have for reminding you of all you have to do before moving the trailer. We like Trailerlife's book,RV Repair and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston, fwiw.

Make sure you arrange insurance now, if the selling state requires it for temporary tags. Also, be aware that the DMV will probably take some time to figure out the procedure for issuing temporary tags for this old a trailer--allow several hours for that.

For me, the most trying part of my first ride with the trailer was backing up. It helps to do this as a team (one person outside directing) and remember, turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. And be patient!

Also, don't get freaked by Jersey barriers. Remember to breath, go slow and recite "the trailer isn't as wide as my truck, the trailer isn't as wide as my truck..." Convince yourself of this, even if it isn't true!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Kaye!

you will need to verify that the height of your hitch ball is correct for the Caravel - - the height according to the Airstream Weight and Measures page is 17.5". I suspect that your Durango may need a rather significantly dropped drawbar in order to achieve this ball height.
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I looked at the hitch and it is higher. The hitch ball with sway bars comes with the trailer. Hmmm, this could be interesting.

Kaye
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Mary,

Thanks for the info. Liability coverage is on the Durango's insurance but State Farm won't insure the trailer itself until they see it. I was going to just wait until I got it back, but you got me thinking. I called Foremost and got a policy to cover property damage, etc on the trailer.

Kaye
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Make sure you have some sort of sway control as well. While it's a small coach it is single axle and a single aaxle is more prone to sway then dual. I had a single axle 5x10 cargo trailer that was around 2500lb iwth cargo just about crash me when it started to wag.

You have their address. Might want to go a head and look up the nearest place that has hitches incase what hitch gear she has will not work with your tow vehicle.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good luck on your trip. I'm excited to see more about this Caravel as you get it home and start learning more about it.

It is interesting that State Farm won't insure the trailer without seeing it. I used to have an agent that made me bring every vehicle down to them, they inspected it and took pictures for their file and wanted supporting documentation on the value of the vehicle (this was when I had the classic mustang) like appraisals.

Then I moved out in the country and got a new agent. This agent doesn't need to see anything, doesn't want to take pictures. I offered them supporting documentation on the value of the collector vehicles, the vette and the Caravel, and they said not to worry about it, it would be outdated anyway by the time anything happens. If there's an accident, we can document it's current value then.

So I was surprised to find these two agents, both state farm, with very different ways of handling things. Apparently the visual inspection and photos are not required by State Farm, but are at the agent's discretion. Consequently, the Caravel is insured by them, and they've never seen it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Agent

S.
I would love to get in contact with such agent, as I need to insure a couple of vehicles along with a trailer. Your explanation sounds very logical and I am
willing to give it a try.
Thanks,
F
Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Cool

We are back!!! Our Airstream is parked in the yard, safe and sound. Pretty uneventful as these thing go (thank goodness). Lynn is a wonderful tow vehicle driver. The lights went out in Iowa and the temp tag disappeared in Wyoming. Otherwise it was a smooth trip. Now the fun begins.

Kaye
Old 08-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Good for you! Glad you had a fairly uneventful trip. Now you have a list of things to start working on

Old 08-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Now you have a list of things to start working on
Boy do I. The first task is deciding where to start.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Oh goodie!

Another vintage Colorado trailer & owner! Hope to hook up at a rally sometime! Check out the DenCO link for upcoming events ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Glad that you had a safe trip.

Good Luck with all your fixing-up projects!

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelm
Boy do I. The first task is deciding where to start.
I know what you mean. That is actually my favorite part. I just brought home yet another old mustang which was too cheap to resist, and I just sit in the garage and dream of what must be done. Actually doing it, while giving a great sense of accomplishment, is a little less fun!

Luckily there is a lot of help on the forum, and it seems like a lot of Vintage folks in CO. So, tell us all about it!

Old 08-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
There is where you should start and where you want to start - you should start from the bottom, outside and up, then inside. Most of us want to start from the inside.

I'm in Colorado also, glad to be of any help I can - I'm knee deep in the restoration of a 58 - and yes I've started at the bottom working up.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Kaye:
I am so glad that you made it safely home. I've been thinking about you guys! Feel free to call or email with any questions about the trailer. I agree with you, it is a she Did you get the pigtail replaced before you left town or did you haul with it the way it was?

Angie
Farm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Girl
Kaye:
I am so glad that you made it safely home. I've been thinking about you guys! Feel free to call or email with any questions about the trailer. I agree with you, it is a she Did you get the pigtail replaced before you left town or did you haul with it the way it was?

Angie
We hauled it the way it was. We went to the RV place, but he was busy and really did not want to deal with us. I don't think we had brakes at all, and the lights went on and off and finally off in Iowa. In Colorado the plug came out and dragged a way. When we found that, it had pretty much come apart. So, that will be the first repair.

Here is a picture of her in Colorado:
Old 08-28-2004, 12:49 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
OK, what happened to my picture? Guess that was not the way to do it. I will try again.

Tags
1961, caravel