Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
PI Surge Protector EMS-PT30x?????!!!!

Hi,

I researched and bought one of these off Amazon. It arrived in an open box. Literally fell out of the un sealed box. "Sealed For Your Protection" label neatly removed and folded over. Cover scratched and gouged. Sent back.

Replacement arrived with the SAME "Sealed For Your Protection" label broken but taped over. Whole box sealed up this time.

What's the deal? Are these how they ship them now? They look like used returned items!

How does one know if it's new and functions?

Any alternatives?

$250 WAY too much to pay for an open box item that's supposed to protect my AS.

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Who is the seller on Amazon? Maybe don't buy it from them?

FWIW I got mine from bestconverter.com along with a few other things and was happy with their service.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I purchased from amazon. It was working, then stopped, but the manufacturer replaced the defective one. If you read the warranty, progressive industries stands behind their product. The only time they won't replace is if it did its job as evidenced by burned inlet and outlet from surge. I have had electric issues at every campground. I won't go without the PI surge protector. I actually bought 2 so I always have a backnup.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Who is the seller on Amazon? Maybe don't buy it from them?

FWIW I got mine from bestconverter.com along with a few other things and was happy with their service.
Progressive Industries is the seller BUT the way Amazon works is they send the product to Amazon and Amazon stores and ships....

You would think returns of such items would require return to manufacturer.

Ya know on top of all that I KNOW they are using stickers to cover "made in USA" with "assembled in Mexico". If they won't spend $5 on new boxes and product labels what else are the skimping on......

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
You can contact the manufacturer and the will explain the mexico sticker. My experience with them is good.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Your Amazon experience is an anomaly from what I’ve seen.
You can trust the EMS product
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
I don't mind the "assembled in Mexico" sticker per se but it stinks of cheap cost cutting.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can explain the open boxes.

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Heart Of , Texas
We purchased this item for this up coming weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a separate note. I've purchased a lot of items from Amazon over the past several months. A few items did not fit or the quality was poor. Amazon has a fast action return web base for returns. With in minutes of my placing a ticket to Amazon I had return instructions and able to print a label. I do worry that the day will come from these alternate optional providers that will not except a return. Wish you the best

2020 Classic 33 FTB
2019 Ford F250
Blue Ox Hitch
KBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
with the 30 amp surge protector you should purchase a additional short 30 amp extension cord. Sometimes (fairly often) the weight of the surge protector and the way it hangs makes it unplug itself from the outlet. The solution is a short extension so the plug does not have to support the weight of the unit. Good unit but this small,easy to resolve issue.

I bought my surge protector at a rally but I got the cord fron Amazon.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Returns or remans maybe. Tommy would not have allowed that when he owned the company. Ours are sealed and have had no returns that I can remember in 8 years. Tommy did sell the company but still haven't noticed any manufacturing or quality issues and still made in the USA. It should not have been opened. There is a round seal on the top.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Interesting discussion. I had a claim last summer and it had to go direct with the company. Prior to that I could never buy except from the company. So now you can buy on Amazon and the company has been sold?
When I did my claim with the company they told me to throw the old one away when I got the new. Is the new owner now requiring returns and doing a refurb to send out to warranty claims?
That would be a bummer for me....I thought I found the last solid company I could trust and now am in doubt. Lots of questions raised in my mind by this thread.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Interesting discussion. I had a claim last summer and it had to go direct with the company. Prior to that I could never buy except from the company. So now you can buy on Amazon and the company has been sold?
When I did my claim with the company they told me to throw the old one away when I got the new. Is the new owner now requiring returns and doing a refurb to send out to warranty claims?
That would be a bummer for me....I thought I found the last solid company I could trust and now am in doubt. Lots of questions raised in my mind by this thread.
I don't think that is the case. I think there are guys buying up their remans and selling them as new but can't prove it. If the seal is broken or it came from Amazon, we won't honor the warranty. I tell my warehouse to not touch that seal and we never get them back. It's a good product and use one myself. Heck we are below them any way so it makes no sense and you get a new unopened package.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
OK<

PI stepped up! They were incredulous and requested I send the units back to them and they will send me a brand new sealed unit.

As I suspected they have little control over how Amazon handles stock. Amazon is supposed to supply brand new sealed units as the "seller" is PI. So Amazon is probably restocking returns on top of the pile and pulling those for next sale not giving a second thought as to why returned.

PI is taking it very seriously!

I had read elsewhere about a similar experience and was wondering on quality but it appears at least in this instance an Amazon problem.

DO NOT BUY THESE FROM AMAZON UNTIL RESOLVED!

Thanks,

R44
Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I don't think that is the case. I think there are guys buying up their remans and selling them as new but can't prove it. If the seal is broken or it came from Amazon, we won't honor the warranty. I tell my warehouse to not touch that seal and we never get them back. It's a good product and use one myself. Heck we are below them any way so it makes no sense and you get a new unopened package.
Shoot!

I wish I had found you before hand! I too run a small business online and am hammered by giants like Amazon as well. Even though they only sell the one model in searches they consume the first 2 pages of results it seems and leave the impression the only place to buy!

Shoulda posting my intensions on ASF first!

R44
Old 10-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Hi,

I researched and bought one of these off Amazon. It arrived in an open box. Literally fell out of the un sealed box. "Sealed For Your Protection" label neatly removed and folded over. Cover scratched and gouged. Sent back.

Replacement arrived with the SAME "Sealed For Your Protection" label broken but taped over. Whole box sealed up this time.

What's the deal? Are these how they ship them now? They look like used returned items!

How does one know if it's new and functions?

Any alternatives?

$250 WAY too much to pay for an open box item that's supposed to protect my AS.

Thanks,

R44
Lots of same problems with electronics from Amazon like yours . Including shipping in a envelope instead of a box , tossing 35 ft over fence in yard with envelope open and water in it . Asked please ship in box , no one followed instructions , same for second , returned and ordered 149. Item item from boat supply. Received twice broken seal on electrical item , looked used returned and ordered from manufacturer. Very cautious with electronics ordering from Amazon . Having 2 dayPrime shipping problems extend to 4-5 days . Not really a fan of Amazon anymore . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I bought an EMS-PT30X from Amazon in June of this year. Arrived in a new box, unopened. In August I had some technical questions (odd reading on the display) and contacted PI support. They sent me an RMA which I used to return it to them at their expense. They sent me a new one. I'm a happy camper... and protected from odd electrical wiring and voltage issues.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Trying to clarify for my old brain...is PI now owned by new entity after being sold by the founder? I ask because my claim a year ago with PI had me throw the old unit away after they saw the pictures. So if they are under new ownership and requiring units to be returned it is feasible that units are being repaired and put back into the marketplace.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
It was sold. Employees, facility, manufacturing, etc remain the same. Still made in US and still have lifetime warranty. What they are doing with returns these days is unkonwn except those receiving open packages from Amazon is suspicious.
We don't break the seal for any reason prior to shipping. Not even to include the invoice in the box on that particular product. We email it instead.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
I purchased mine from Tweety’s. Came as a box in a box. Basically very well packed.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
One of our most popular products as well. They fly out as fast as we can get them.