Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Photo Travelogue: Virginia International Raceway Trip April 9-12, 2009

We just got back from a great trip from Kentucky to Alton, Virginia for our first race of the season and my first race in about three years! (I race a vintage Triumph Spitfire and Brad is my crew chief and chief mechanic). I just wanted to share the trip with you and hope you enjoy it!

As we were going through Winchester, Ky., we saw this truck looked a little odd. Can you see why? We think he must have been carrying helium...
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Floating truck.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	78361

As we drove through Charleston, Wv., my old home town, I got a shot of the beautiful capitol dome:

Name:	2 Charleston capitol.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	78362

We turned from I-64 and took 77 south toward Virginia. This Avion was parked in a yard not too far from Charleston (I also saw a nice old AS trailer a little farther down but was not able to get a pic):

Name:	3 Avion.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	78363

I could not look at all of the signs for the Tamarack artisan center along 77 without having Brad stop. There were some GORGEOUS crafts inside, along with the best pan-fried trout lunch I think I have ever had, at the grill. Here is a picture of the 310 with the unique Tamarack building:

Name:	4 310 at Tamarack.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	78364

As we were driving along 77 I looked out the windshield and saw snow! It turned out to the the Winterpark ski resort. They must have manufactured their snow, since we did not see any other real snow along the way:

Name:	5 Winterplace Ski Resort.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	78366

These were always fun signs to see along the route (not!), but at least the grades were manageable and reasonably short. We had visions of smoking the engine on the way up and the brakes on the way down, and ending up in a smoldering pile at the bottom...

Name:	6 5 percent grade sign.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	78367

There were two tunnels along the 77 route. This is the East River Mountain tunnel:

Name:	7 East River Mountain tunnel.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	78368

We got to Virginia International Raceway (VIR) at 7 p.m. Thursday, and got situated in the paddock. The next morning we were out running around and getting ready and Brad suddenly noticed there was a nice Globetrotter right across from us! We have never seen another Airstream at a vintage race event, so that was a nice surprise. It belonged to a guy who was part of a team of fellows who all owned a yellow Sprite and worked feverishly on the car all weekend -- they had much more work time on the car than track time! But the trailer was very nice:

Name:	8 Globetrotter in paddock.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	78369

I noticed another RV surprise as we were walking around the paddock after one of my sessions -- this Newmar All-Star had a SIDE ramp, and space for small toys like motorcycles or four-wheelers. That was neat!

Name:	9 RV with ramp 1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	78370 Click image for larger version

Name:	9 RV with ramp 2.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	78371

To be continued...

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Photo Travelogue, Part 2

One of the fun things about this event was there was a costume event where the drivers and crew are encouraged to dress in the era of their cars. Mine is a 1967, so Brad and I played the part (in two REEEEALLY bad wigs!):

Name:	11 Costumes.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	78372

Here are a few racing pictures from the event. I am the green #42 Spitfire. This picture is from a hairpin turn called the Oak Tree:

Name:	12 Suz at Oak Tree.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	78373

This car was very interesting. It is a 1930's Ford Dreyer. He had a big engine and could pull away from me on the straights, but I could take him in the corners. Thankfully, there were more corners than straights, and I was able to get past him and leave him behind each session. One unique thing about this car is that his brake is a hand-controlled lever on the left side, and it tightens a belt on a wheel attached to the rear axle! He did a great job of driving it!

Name:	VDCA-03372.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	78374

This guy eventually got around me (faster car) but I thought this picture was funny since it looks like his car is trying to suck me up with its little mouth!

Name:	VDCA-05202.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	78375

A good friend of ours just had his engine rebuilt in his TR4 and it went south on the very first lap of his first session. I offered him a ride in my car, and he took it out for a session on Friday. He's a very good driver and did very well in my unfamiliar car. Here he is trying it on for fit before the race:

Name:	10 Henry checks out Tristan.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	78376

Here's another shot of the Globetrotter, with a Morgan in the foreground:

Name:	13 Globetrotter with Morgan.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	78377

Brad popped into the 310 when I was inside and said, "Look down the street!" This fellow was driving his moped down our paddock with his two little dogs riding pillion. What fun!

Name:	14 Scooting with dogs.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	78378

My car developed low oil pressure by the end of the day Saturday (after the feature race, thankfully!), and we put it on the trailer, since that meant the engine bearings were wearing out. I got two full days of racing, got comfortable in the car again after three years and improved my times a good bit, and came in mid-pack in the feature race, which made me happy.

We got to shake the hand of the retired vice admiral of the Atlantic fleet, Hank Giffin, who was there racing a Morgan, and helped him work on his trailer lights. He was a very nice man!

We enjoyed a beautiful morning Sunday watching our friends race, then headed home.

One really neat thing along part of Hwy 220 in Virginia were thousands of blooming daffodils in the medians and along the sides of the road in places. It boggled my mind to think of people planting them all! But they were really beautiful and cheerful:

Name:	15 Daffodils in median.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	78379

As we passed through Roanoke, Va., I got a picture of two interesting buildings. Anyone know what this one is?:

Name:	16 Building in Roanoke.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	78380

This one looked like a huge hotel, but we couldn't tell what it was, either:

Name:	17 Hotel in Roanoke.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	78381

To be continued...

Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Photo Travelogue, Part 3

Here is the race rig at the Tamarack artisan center. We got quite a few looks during the trip!

Name:	17 2 Race rig at Tamarack.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	78383

We stopped at a truck stop along 77 and parked right behind this cool old bus. The owner had just bought it three weeks previously, and said it was a 1957 Greyhound bus. It still had the chrome dog on the front. They took the seats out and were converting it to an RV.

Name:	18 Greyhound & 310.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	78384

Another fun highway sign:

Name:	19 55 mph sign.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	78385

Here is a typical coal town, along 77 south of Charleston in West Virginia:

Name:	20 Coal town.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	78386

We crossed the Kanawha River and I looked down and saw a bunch of tug boats and a paddlewheeler (we saw several paddlewheelers on the river in Charleston). Just after the bridge, I got this shot of a set of paddlewheels and a caboose that looked like they were on display:

Name:	21 Paddlewheels.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	78387

We got through the mountains safely and I tried to get a shot of the Ashland refineries, but it was too dark and the shutter was too slow. it still looked neat, though:

Name:	22 Ashland refineries.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	78388

We got home at midnight, and are now looking very forward to the Dogwoods and Bluegrass Rally next weekend!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
The two buildings in Roanoke VA that you couldn't identify are:
  1. The Taubman Museum of Art
Taubman Museum of Art

2. Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center | Have your next meeting at The Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center. Browse facilities or get help in planning your meeting at Doubletree.com. - Roanoke, VA

You went right by us on your way to VIR. Rt 460 goes right through Lynchburg on your way to Petersburg. Sorry we missed you. Next time give us some notice and you're welcome to stop by.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Thank you so much, FordTruck! I had guessed the first building was probably a symphony center or art museum, but you just never know. Thank you for the links!

We'll give you a shout the next time we head to VIR!

Susan

Old 04-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
From the pictures it looks like you had a grand time. Come back again now ya'hear!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube View Post
One of the fun things about this event was there was a costume event where the drivers and crew are encouraged to dress in the era of their cars. Mine is a 1967, so Brad and I played the part (in two REEEEALLY bad wigs!):
Attachment 78372
Just one comment, I no idea WHO is standing next to Susan, its not me.........

(Alumatube's other half.........)

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote