Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Phipps Park Martin County Florida

A short report on our Thanksgiving stay at Phipps park. I want to thank the Forum for the lead as we cancelled our trip to Big Cypress RV Resort in the Seminole area. I had trekked out there and it was very nice but we wanted to be by the water. Phipps is right next to the St. Lucie Locks where there are 9 concrete padded manicured beautiful RV slots w/o sewer run by the Feds. You can watch the activity at the locks from your window. Reserve America reservation scheduling insures they are packed during Snowbird season. I found the same at Sebastain Inlet wheras down the road at Long Point County Park we found a place. Phipps is not with Reserve...One man runs the place of 200 acres. Our lot was huge, maybe 150' deep!!!! and at least 60' wide. I brought extra hose and shorepower and positioned myself inbetween the road. water, and the juice. Dump station on park premises. A large hedge of pepper shrubs obscure the canal but access view can be gotten. We camped on grass and the road is compressed sand. The newly built FEMA restroom is very good and clean. There is a boat ramp. At the Locks park there is a nice natural trail. Federal money keeps the place in top shape. At Phipps they are building a series of retention ponds on the exterior of the park in order to remove agricultural runoff before it reaches the ocean 12 mile away. The county wanted to sell the park to a private concern like "KOA" but thank G_d it is in the public trust. The park is only about 3 miles from the I95 exit on Route 76.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lot.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	72253   Click image for larger version

Name:	locks.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	72254  

chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the trip report. Now I have an alternate spot down there. My family lives in Pt St Lucie and we spent Thanksgiving together at the Savannas Recreation Area. Sites either back onto the water --- errrr, swamp -- or a golf course (???). Reservations not required this trip but I understand they will be by Christmas. I do not believe they're through Reserve Am either. Due to county *misappropriations*, the park will be closing during the summer months - suposedly.

Care to disclose the nightly cost? Savannas was $24 (or close). Some sites even have sewer
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
costs

we paid $93 for a 4 night stay. The Locks park you can call at a 3 day max before arrival to check availability. On the Friday after Tday they had 3 open for one night stays. Phipps is big and I just dont think it is a problem to find an opening. You can drive to the Locks park and if they dont have an opening just turn around and drive the 300yds. back to Phipps.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote