Old 08-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Warrington , Pennsylvania
Philadelphia To Cape Cod

Hello All,

I did a search and found some older thread and have created a route for pulling my AS from the suburbs of Philadelphia to Cape Cod.

I am looking to user 202-287-Tappan-Z Bridge, continuing on 287 E but picking up 95N once I am above NYC around Port Chester. 95N to 195/6 in to Cape Cod.

My question is I seen a few posts saying stay away from 95, but am I ok after I get out side of NYC?

Thanks

sroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yes your route sounds good IMO. A somewhat longer route, to avoid the CT portion of I-95 which is loaded with trucks, would be to take the Garden State Parkway north to the NYS Thruway, then head east on I-84 to Hartford. From Hartford, the options vary and I am on the road so will comment on that later, when I can look at a map.

I-95 from 287 to New Haven is challenging but going east from there is not too bad. Your call depending on your stomach for heavy truck traffic.

When are you traveling? I would aim to cross the Hudson around 9 AM, so you can get east of New Haven or Hartford by 1-2 PM.

Have fun?

Cheers,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
North of NYC 95 will still be quite congested for a while--until a little after Bridgeport, but I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
the options vary and I am on the road so will comment on that later, when I can look at a map.

I-95 from 287 to New Haven is challenging but going east from there is not too bad. Your call depending on your stomach for heavy truck traffic.

When are you traveling? I would aim to cross the Hudson around 9 AM, so you can get east of New Haven or Hartford by 1-2 PM.

Have fun?

Cheers,

Peter

Pete, thanks for responding, it was one of your earlier posts that got me to this route :Lol:

I am aiming to leave my house by 7am which could get me close to 95 by mid-day. But you never know, I will have to find a good point to stop, stretch the legs and grab a quick bite, assuming there rest stops on that stretch of 95.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Be aware that the Garden State Parkway is closed to trucks and trailers when you get up by New York City. I always let Mr Google tell me what the current rules are.

There is *no* nice part of I-95. Some parts are worse than others, none of it is fun. The same is true of the roads to and from the Cape on weekends. The place empties and re-fills then. If you can travel mid-week, do so.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
The route you specify is good, I've done it many times. There isn't any GOOD route, from NY to around Bridgeport, it's all about timing it, heading the opposite way out of Philly in the morning rush is good, gets you through NY at lunch, I wouldn't look to stop and stretch until Bridgeport, must of the rest areas along 95, through CT have been rebuilt and are very good sized, with easy access. Watch out for right lane travel, the ramps are short and abrupt and the trucks will bully you.

Stay alert and take it slow (not too slow) and it will be fine.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
stratford , Connecticut
This is all good advice about I-95 in CT and the route to the Cape. You will find heavy traffic from Greenwich through New Haven. All depending on the time of day. Greenwich to Norwalk will be a parking lot from 3:00-7:00p.m. Traffic will clear, only to slow again from Fairfield to Bridgeport, then again from Milford through New Haven. There is const. in New Haven and backs traffic up to Milford,this starts about 11:00a.m. Into the evening. There are rest stops in Darien(closest to NY),Fairfield,Milford,Branford,and Madison. Also Pilot truck stop and Cracker Barrel at exit 40 Milford. EZ on and off. I drive this everyday just stay alert as others have advised. Cape Cod is a great place, we just stayed at Shady Knolls in Brewster. Have also stayed at Atlantic Oaks,and Sweetwater Forest and would return to any of them. Happy travels.
patnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Great posts guys. We are leaving on a Thursday, thanks for the advise on the rest stops.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sounds like the plan is shaping up. One comment on the trip overall . . .

Depending on traffic and weather, this trip of about 350-400 miles, might take as little as 8 hours and as much as 12, especially if the traffic going to the Cape for one of the final weekends of "the summer" is heavy on a Thursday night. Just too many variables to know exactly. [Edit -- After Labor Day, this would apply less . . . ]

If you have two drivers who can spell each other, that will help a lot with driver fatigue. The rest areas on I-95 will let you switch drivers, if the second driver can handle the easier Interstate portion of the trip, say from east of Bridgeport to Newport/Providence (plus or minus, depending on rest area locations and parking). This stretch of 95 will have less intense truck traffic, as some of it heads north from New Haven to Hartford and Springfield.

For one driver only, this could be a challenging trip, and fatigue will be an issue, in my opinion. Better to recognize this risk right off the bat.

East of Newport and Providence may provide some better rest areas, truck stops, or general places to pull over and really rest, but I am not that familiar with the area.

Have a great time!

Peter
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
As far as RI goes ( I lived there for 65 years) you shouldn't have much in the way of issues once you get past New Haven on 95. Into Rhode Island it tends to be an easy drive. Be attentive when getting close to Providence, there is a nasty curve on 95 North, (called the Thurbers Ave curve). I wouldn't take that curve at more than 50-55. What is called the I 195 connector is new( around 7-8 yrs old) and smooths out the transition onto 195 East. Once out of the East Providence area, it is pretty open and smooth until past New Bedford. Getting in/out of the Cape is by route 6 and 2 bridges. Trying to get in/out of the Cape on Fridays or Sundays is pure insanity. Thursdays and Sunday may still be busy, but not to the way on Fri/Sun. Once over the bridges, route 6 through the Cape is 2 lines but a good road and tree lined. The Cape is wonderful in the summer - hope you have a safe trip and enjoy !
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
If you can it may be easier to leave during the week then on the weekend as travel can be heavy heading to the Cape. We go to the Cape once a year in Sept as it is not as congested with tourist especially during the week days. Anyway we leave from Berlin Md and cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge and take 95 to the Parkway (I do not like to go over the Washington Bridge because of traffic and or construction) to the Tappan-zee then 287 thru White Plains on through Connecticut. I have always found Connecticut to be the slowest as they clearly know how to drag out construction projects. We also stop at one of their rest areas but will try not to buy fuel there as it is the most expensive on the trip. Frequently 70 cents more then other states. Traffic lets ups just before New London and you have clear sailing until you get close to Providence RI. As a previous poster stated there are some curves in the road so do not speed. I believe the speed limit there is 55 MPH. Once through Providence the ride is very pleasant and scenic. IMO it does not matter which bridge you go over (the Bourne or the Sagmore) as they are both narrow.

I just realized you already left have a safe trip and enjoy
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Even more great information. Really love this forum!!

@urnmor - I don't leave for a few weeks.

@OTRA15 - Good call, the GoodSam trip planner says 365 miles.

We're looking froward to the trip and have a full 10 days there.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Cant comment from the perspective of towing an AS, but from a driving perspective, have made the trip many times from west central NJ to the Cape.
Quite some time ago I made the change and swore to never drive 95 again.
I would head up through Hartford on 84 to the Mass Pike and east to 495 and then down. A much easier ride than going through New Haven/New London/Providence, etc.
If towing, I might even consider heading up the NY State Thruway to Rt84 and then head east, but time it properly to avoid commuter traffic in Danbury and Waterford. On GMaps, its 20-30 mins longer depending on time of day, but a much easier ride.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Now that I am back home and have looked at a map, here is what I would suggest to avoid the traffic in the Providence area. In terms of actual distance it is probably shorter too IMO.

When I-95 goes into RI, take Exit 3 to 138 east to Jamestown and Newport, then make your way up the east side of Narragansett Bay on 114 to the intersection with I-195 south of Fall River.

This route has some spectacular water views, and is much lower-key than going through Providence. I have driven it plenty of times by car (when you had to take a ferry from Jamestown to Newport), and am pretty sure it is OK for towing the AS.

The afternoon rush hour traffic in Providence can be a real nightmare [IMO] and the more southerly route suggested through Newport could spare you a lot of potential grief.

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- Curious to know what GS trip planner says. The old bridge from the mainland to Jamestown used to be narrow, and may still be. That would be the weakest link in the chain I guess, but plenty do-able for the adventurous! Gorgeous water views all over!
PS2 -- Both bridges may be tolls.
PS3 -- Do you have EZPass including the trailer? It helps save time and money vs. cash, but you need to have the trailer listed with them. In NY, here is the application, with the correct Class depending on the number of axles -- FWIW:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
You all are being too generous on the I-95 north of NYC route.

In just a car, I avoid it monthly by going north to I-84 even if the miles are longer.

Moving at a steady rate beats the stop and go traffic-let alone crazy drivers merging into your lane.
rjmaype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmaype View Post
. . .
In just a car, I avoid it monthly by going north to I-84 even if the miles are longer.
. . .
What do you do after Hartford, go all the way up to the Mass Pike? That is a much longer route, with heavier traffic for an hour or more around Boston IMO.

From I-84 after Waterbury CT, it is pretty easy to get back down to I-95 via I-691 to Meriden, then work your way down 9 to Old Lyme to re-join 95.

Have you ever done the southern route through Jamestown and Newport to I-195 south of Falls River MA? This is much shorter and way more relaxing IMO. [details in Post #14]

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-04-2017, 06:06 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
The roads on Acquidneck Island have rather narrow lanes. Suggest you look at a satellite view first.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Perhaps, but Route 138 is an important E/W state highway and should be OK. Semi trucks use it all the time IMO.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Hi Peter,
Its rare for us to hit traffic going up to the Mass Pike and down 495, exception being on the way home getting off the Mass Pike onto 84.

At first I didn't want to add 15mins to our trip, but reality was that every trip on 95 resulted in at least 30 mins lost due to traffic and that wasn't always on weekends or commuting hours.

I plugged west central NJ to Cape Cod into google maps and oddly it came up with exactly that route. It just works well for us.

Also the reason I suggested going up the NY State Thruway to Newburg is due to the construction building the new Tappan Zee Bridge. Havent been through there in a couple months, but it was a tight mess when I was there last. If the work is done, it may be a good ride. If one did cross at the TZ Bridge, I would plan on taking 684 north to 84. Again, a few minutes longer, but a much better road and as noted....it heads one away from the "pushy" types found on 95.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Now that I am back home and have looked at a map, here is what I would suggest to avoid the traffic in the Providence area. In terms of actual distance it is probably shorter too IMO.

When I-95 goes into RI, take Exit 3 to 138 east to Jamestown and Newport, then make your way up the east side of Narragansett Bay on 114 to the intersection with I-195 south of Fall River.

This route has some spectacular water views, and is much lower-key than going through Providence. I have driven it plenty of times by car (when you had to take a ferry from Jamestown to Newport), and am pretty sure it is OK for towing the AS.

The afternoon rush hour traffic in Providence can be a real nightmare [IMO] and the more southerly route suggested through Newport could spare you a lot of potential grief.

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- Curious to know what GS trip planner says. The old bridge from the mainland to Jamestown used to be narrow, and may still be. That would be the weakest link in the chain I guess, but plenty do-able for the adventurous! Gorgeous water views all over!
PS2 -- Both bridges may be tolls.
PS3 -- Do you have EZPass including the trailer? It helps save time and money vs. cash, but you need to have the trailer listed with them. In NY, here is the application, with the correct Class depending on the number of axles -- FWIW:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
Pete,

interesting the Rt 128 seems to be interesting you could essentially go under Providence. See my line in Yellow:

GS Planner first shot said go through NY (Lol)

As far as EZpass, I found this:

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my transponder?
Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a transponder programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your transponder in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car transponder in a tractor-trailer).

My read on that is the occasional pull of the AS will be accounted for when I go through EZpass.