Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oklahoma city , Oklahoma
Pesky rodents

This is our 4th year of travel with our AS and we love staying in national forest campgrounds. This fall while camping in SW Colorado, we experienced a HIGH number of mice getting into our trailer. Of course we can't find an obvious place where they are entering and am wondering if anyone may have a suggestion.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Look at the front near the hitch. The main frame rails are hallow - a mouse super highway. All along that length are rough cut holes for plumbing and wires under the belly pan. Remember, a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime. If the head will fit through they can pull the body through. Good Luck, use aluminum wool to plug holes available from the hardware store. DO NOT USE steel wool, it will rust.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oklahoma city , Oklahoma
Had never heard of aluminum wool but will look for that and then try to fine holes to stuff. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Check this thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ler-97270.html
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Not easy to find but keep trying. You can also get aluminum screen and stuff strips of that in the holes.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #6

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oklahoma city , Oklahoma
Thanks for all the suggestions. We better get to work! We caught 5 mice one night last week and I certainly don't want that to happen again!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Get a cat - fast.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Had the same problem last summer in NM. Don't use poison- they'll die in your walls and become malodorous. I plugged as many holes as I could and used Victory mouse traps to kill as many as I could. Kept a tally sheet by the door- make it fun.
Had no probs. this summer at Mesa Verde because I had OWLS in the trees behind the trailer. A little noisy at times , but a great trade-off.
All in all... I would recommend a couple of OWLS! Owls - YouTube
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We had mice in our '02 30' Classic for the first time since owning. That's been 3 1/2 yrs. I found the obvious signs all over the inside of the trailer. The trailer had been stored in the shed in the corner of the yard, 200 feet from the house. Usually I keep mothballs and mouse poison in that shed but hadn't been diligent on checking. After we picked the corn and because of the upcoming cold weather the varmints came in. I put the trailer in my shop for prep for a weekend trip. I trapped 3 mice in about a 12 hour period. After cleaning EVERYTHING, I was under the trailer and found, hopefully, the entry point. The fridge drain hose exits the belly pan right above the front axle. There was no grommet and the hole was large enough for a mouse. The hole is now full of Vulkem. Another place I will look at is the wiring entry hole in the spare tire cavity. It may have a gap also. The A-frame rails were a prime suspect to check but mine was full of cobwebs and did not appear to have any mouse trails. I also will check the rear frame where the exterior rear drawer attaches. There are holes in the frame in that area also.
Dan
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Some other campers told us to use Dryer Sheets. I stuck them in every drawer any everywhere imaginable. We had no problems with the mice last year. Just for what it's worth.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Stainless steel pot scrubbers a great for filling holes as well. I use a "tin Cat" trap inside and poison outside (like in the bumper drawer, fridge compartment, etc.). It probably doesn't hurt that I am parked in the open, on concrete, next to a barn in an area with many birds of pray and a great mouser cat in the barn. So far, no mice in my AS, ever. JINX!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Got the opportunity to crawl under the trailer again today. As I had thought, the wiring entry in the spare tire cavity on the curb side did have a place where mice could enter! It too is now filled with Vulkem. I hope my problems are over. I will still keep lots of mothballs and Blue Death mouse poison in the shed and shop!!!
Dan
Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Look What I Found

Well it has begun...the varmints are on the move. Just got back from a camping trip to South Carolina...not sure if these are Southern Mice or Northern Mice. Caught one in a trap and found these two in the tub. Needless to say three are no more. The battle is on...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mice.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	197150  
Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxtravelprn View Post
Some other campers told us to use Dryer Sheets. I stuck them in every drawer any everywhere imaginable. We had no problems with the mice last year. Just for what it's worth.
I've just been told the same. We had signs of mouse activity in our trailer and mentioned this at a meet-up. Several people recommended drier sheets and how effective they were in keeping mice at bay.

I'll be trying this this winter.