Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #101
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
PASSING AUTOMOBILES cutting it too close

Hear this:

If someone can get around one truck in the left lane passing a slower one on the right and never violate a five second distance from the rear of the first and the front of the latter, my hat is off to them.

Once one is in the right lane it is not merely difficult to ascertain what safe distance is available ahead of the trucks that is passing five second gap, it is impossible once that passing truck has broken from overtaking to passing.

Self importance around here doesn't appear to recognize the difference between overtaking and passing. It is irrelevant how long that big truck has been in the left lane once it has entered the passing zone. And that is "about" a five second distance. Not less. It should be more. And is, for someone with a brain trying to ascertain whether a right lane pass would work.

So let's see. Drive into the mirror blind spot of the flatbed while running in a nearly blind spot of the camera truck without any verifiable idea of just what is ahead of the camera truck. Pretty well defined "stupid". Reckless.

Both those car drivers were, in essence, willing to die. And did endanger EVERYONE around them and a half mile back. Potentially, the oncoming traffic as well.

When you violate THAT space and time problem at THAT speed it is the choice made.

Critique that camera truck driver all you want. The facts of the outcome spoke for themselves. No jack knife or rollover. No associated wrecks. Minimal damage given the potentials. Sheer luck for those car drivers given their abysmal selfishness.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #102
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You guys talking about this video?

Nothing against truck drivers, but anyone in the left lane who isn't speeding or passing is rather annoying. It's perhaps my biggest pet peeve about FL. It also creates a dangerous traffic scenario. Where I live, there is always some older person going too slow in the left hand lane. At times dangerously slow.

Florida passed a law, that it is illegal for you to travel under 10mph in the left because it is such a problem.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...ew-florida-law

My morning commutes across the Courtney Cambell where it's two lane highway heading into Tampa and you'd get some old fart doing 45mph in the LEFT on a 55MPH road that most people are already exceeding that speed limit around 65. This introduces an element in to which all the impatient asinine drivers speed around this person in the right hand lane.

What's even more annoying, self appointed traffic cops who feel it's their duty to speed up when you try to go around them and make you go the speed limit. Get over yourself, you're going to cause an accident. Get over into the right and keep yourself there.

Don't even let me get on my soapbox about making right hand turns from the left lane. That's another reason I have a dash cam. Ever since moving to this state, I have had people turn from the left hand to make a right more times than I can count.

Off my soap box.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #103
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

Nothing against truck drivers, but anyone in the left lane who isn't speeding or passing is rather annoying. It's perhaps my biggest pet peeve about FL. It also creates a dangerous traffic scenario. Where I live, there is always some older person going too slow in the left hand lane. At times dangerously slow.
In Florida, and many Eastern states the signage says "Slower traffic keep right". And many drivers who are doing the speed limit or just under, do not consider themselves as slower traffic, so they continue to lollygag in the left lane. Out West the signage says " Keep right except to pass" which people tend to follow. Unless they're from Florida.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Just thought of something, the trucker could have been on a hands free phone and his dash cam that was mounted up high and to the right in the cab could see the VW and the driver on the left side of the cab might not of seen the VW because the dash was blocking his view. Just a thought....
Old 03-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #105
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
In Florida, and many Eastern states the signage says "Slower traffic keep right". And many drivers who are doing the speed limit or just under, do not consider themselves as slower traffic, so they continue to lollygag in the left lane. Out West the signage says " Keep right except to pass" which people tend to follow. Unless they're from Florida.
Since I put a giant sticker on the back of my truck with our website address, I was thinking of putting a button on my website.

It will say "DID I CUT YOU OFF??"

When you click the button it will ask; "Are you from Florida?" Yes or No.

If you click "YES" you'll get a message that says "GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!"

But if you click "NO" you'll get this message "Sorry I'm from Florida."

What do you guys think? lolololol
Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
My morning commutes across the Courtney Cambell where it's two lane highway heading into Tampa and you'd get some old fart doing 45mph in the LEFT on a 55MPH road that most people are already exceeding that speed limit around 65.
A couple of things here. Although I'm quickly approaching 'old fart', I may even be there depending on your perspective, I've seen plenty of slow, young farts in the left lane in many states, Florida being one. I've even seen lots of Florida plates in the left lane here in Kentucky, with no one to their immediate right. So 'old fart' has nothing to do with it. (If you live right, some day you may be lucky enough to join our ranks and you too will take offense at being labeled as such. )

Secondly, why is it OK to exceed the speed limit but not OK to go slower? Why do speeders in the left lane consider someone who is actively passing (and obeying the limit) a problem?

Slow drivers in the left lane and speeders in the left lane are both breaking the law, both are dangerous. I don't like slow people (old, young or middle aged) in the left lane either. I also don't like people close enough to my rear bumper to be considered a passenger when I'm trying to pass. It's everyone's road.

Drive no faster than the limit (it is a maximum speed, after all, not a mandatory speed), pass in the left lane and then merge back to the right.

Courtesy and respect for others on the road seems to have been replaced with rage and vengeance. What used to be a pleasant experience has turned into a white-knuckled nightmare.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #107
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Rich, don't let me get on my soap box about millennials and their cell phones while driving. Just at a light yesterday, I observed and pointed out to my wife, 5 cars where all the people where nose deep in their cell phones. And now the trend seems to be, drive really slow so I can browse Facebook without hitting anyone. (Right because that will be safe. :roll eyes: )

My grandfather a WWII veteran marine and Conrail engineer did a lot of my rearing. He called people his own age old farts. One day I'll be an old fart and probably yell at old farts too. Presently I yell at people my own age for being brain dead 90% of the time. No disrespect meant. Just a joking pass as we all vent about bad drivers.

Wasn't implying that speeding was more ok, but I do feel that if there is two lanes, then yes going slow in the left is worse. Because those speeders are going to do what I've seen, go crawling up the butts of those of us in the right hand lane to attempt to get around the slow poke in the left. Cutting and weaving in and out of traffic. And it's the same statement the Florida State Police chief made in the article I posted earlier, that it creates tension on the road.

I never understood why so many people in the morning are in a hurry to get to a job they probably hate, btw.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #108
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Hey you ever notice how everyone else is a worse driver than you.

... if we're all thinking that ..
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Rich, don't let me get on my soap box about millennials and their cell phones while driving. Just at a light yesterday, I observed and pointed out to my wife, 5 cars where all the people where nose deep in their cell phones. And now the trend seems to be, drive really slow so I can browse Facebook without hitting anyone. (Right because that will be safe. :roll eyes: )

My grandfather a WWII veteran marine and Conrail engineer did a lot of my rearing. He called people his own age old farts. One day I'll be an old fart and probably yell at old farts too. Presently I yell at people my own age for being brain dead 90% of the time. No disrespect meant. Just a joking pass as we all vent about bad drivers.

Wasn't implying that speeding was more ok, but I do feel that if there is two lanes, then yes going slow in the left is worse. Because those speeders are going to do what I've seen, go crawling up the butts of those of us in the right hand lane to attempt to get around the slow poke in the left. Cutting and weaving in and out of traffic. And it's the same statement the Florida State Police chief made in the article I posted earlier, that it creates tension on the road.
If your grandpa is still among us, we all thank him for his service. If not, a prayer to honor him.

Sorry, as I get older I get more sensitive about age and driving. One senior has an accident and everyone wants to re-test every senior, or worse, take away their license. I point to our daily paper's list of traffic accidents that lists the age of the driver. Not many seniors in there, mostly 20s and 30s. There's always the reference to "some old <derogatory name>" going too slow and "the limit's 45, they're only going 40". The concept that everyone should be doing the 'the limit' or better is not what they should be thinking. (I agree with you, they shouldn't do 40 in the fast lane.)

I would absolutely love to see state or local police ticket people who hang out in the left lane (fast or slow) or tailgate someone. We have signs up on I-75 about cars tailgating trucks and how you might get ticketed but nothing about how some of the truckers tailgate you, regardless of lane or speed.

Personally, I don't care if someone speeds as long as they don't endanger anyone (none of that zigzag lane hopping, putting everyone in danger). Get out in front of me, go fast, but please don't cause an accident. Trigger all the troopers lying in wait, make our lives easier .

Quote:
I never understood why so many people in the morning are in a hurry to get to a job they probably hate, btw.
You know, me either, or why didn't they just get up 5 minutes earlier.

I live 25 miles from where I worked. Every day, both ways, I was always a little over the limit. When gas got really high I started going slower to improve mileage. I got there at about the same time as before and saw all the people that passed me, sitting at that first red light off the Interstate.

If you think about it, unless you're driving hours to get to work, that extra 10 mph on a commute translates to a couple minutes at best. So, I stayed to the right and just did the limit or slower; better mileage, less stress, fewer tickets. Of course, it meant I had to get up 5 minutes earlier .
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #110
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If your grandpa is still among us, we all thank him for his service.
........ So, I stayed to the right and just did the limit or slower; better mileage, less stress, fewer tickets. Of course, it meant I had to get up 5 minutes earlier .
Traffic lights... the 'great equalizer'

Guys and ladies... Peace and blessings to y'all.... take care of each other the best we can...

See ya at the traffic light!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, as per the old people, I agree with the term and use it too. But the funny thing is that most of the old people that I call this, are actually younger than me. My Dad did the same thing as he drove until he was 96 and he cursed the old people too. Back in Southern California, we would be going 80 MPH in a 65 MPH zone on the 405 FWY going to the mall. The law was that you are supposed to go with the flow of traffic, not necessarily the speed limit. Unfortunately, The cops would either pull over the leader, or the last one in line, for a speeding ticket. [Drive in the middle of the pack and check your mirrors]

Mostly young girls [in California] were always on their cell phones whether driving, walking, or whatever. Sometimes I think their cell phones were super glued to their little faces. I was going to invent cell phone implants for young girls. I sure I could have made millions if I was able to do this. Now in Oregon I occasionally see someone driving while on the cell phone, but it is few and far between.

There is an old saying; "Lead, Follow, or get the 7734 out of the way"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Traffic lights... the 'great equalizer'

Guys and ladies... Peace and blessings to y'all.... take care of each other the best we can...

See ya at the traffic light!

Hi, I'm tired of traffic lights. In Southern California we had stop signs and traffic lights every fifty feet. No wonder we got the worst fuel mileage while having to pay the highest price for it. Also the worst brake pad mileage too. Now in Oregon, it's such a pleasure to drive without having to stop every fifty feet. Actually, I can leave my house and go about twenty miles before the first traffic light, and about three stop signs on the way, in a few directions.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote