Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I've taken driving tests in 3 different states, trained my kids in 4 different states. Each time, on the written exam, you are required to get some number, like 16 of 20, correct. The problem is, they never review the test with you. Those 4 questions you missed are still in your brain, but as correct. So now you go out on the road with the wrong answers in your head.

This leads to:
  1. Turn signals are optional
  2. If used, turn signals automatically give you the right of way
  3. If two cars arrive at an intersection at the same time, your car has the right of way
  4. When getting on the Interstate from the on ramp, you have the right of way, others need to move over to accommodate you
  5. When using the on ramp, go to the end at the last posted speed, get on the Interstate at the same speed, drive at least 1/2 mile at that speed before moving up to match traffic, then move to the far left lane and drop 5 mph or more below the limit; stay there until you are ready to exit.
  6. Tailgate
  7. When approaching the car ahead of you, especially at night, especially when the other lanes are open, continue to get as close as you possibly can get behind them before changing lanes.
... and so on

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
TORNADOES HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY in KANSAS

OK. This is my last post, since I does not include towing an Airstream.

My wife and I were moving from the Kansas City, Missouri area to Littleton, Colorado. It took two tractor trailers for our move... mostly my "stuff" so we had some plants and one Blue Heeler heading to our new home in our SUV.

I drove to Hays, we fueled up the SUV and I let the wife drive the rest of the way to Denver. We were going WEST on I-70 and passed Wakeeney, Kansas in western Kansas. So far, so good.

We came upon a work area and the left lane of I-70 was closed for repairs and we, really the wife driving, came up upon a slow moving 18 wheeler going about 20 miles an hour slower than the posted work zone speed. We could not pass as the left lane was being torn apart to be repaved for a few miles.

The winds from the northwest were picking up and those dark fluffy clouds with black and purple colors were closing in a few miles ahead of us, north of the Interstate. I was watching the dust blowing in the distance and my wife watching the back end of the slow moving truck, swaying with each larger gust of wind. The wind began to pick up significantly. A cross wind so the truck was leaning ... south and in no hurry. Sand was blowing up the north side of the highway grade and pelting the side of our truck. Sand blasting was more the sound.

To the northwest I spotted a Missouri Soda Straw... a small tornado. And not far from it... a second one. We were in what I saw as the projected cross over where tornado, highway and we meet. I calmly asked my wife if she had ever seen a tornado before. She said "no"...?

"Well there are TWO coming our way and debris around them was flying all around the bases." The 18 wheeler was really beginning to lean with the winds picking up. It was a Meeting Jesus moment on its way.

Lucky for us, we reached the end of the construction zone, hit the gas peddle and cleared out of Kansas, never to look back.

Had we been pulling an Airstream... the story could have had the same ending, but an uneven finish on the passenger's side aluminum. It has been over twenty years ago... but we were not going to pull over to see how big these two tornadoes were. Sometimes you have to be able to stay calm and manage to Get Out of Dodge, as they say.

When you read the posts on the Thread... remember... there are worse things that can happen while traveling.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I try to always drive alone- I never want anyone beside me- especially on a bridge-
Yes, I'm the same way and believe that's why it's so stressful to drive thru a big city towing the trailer, especially a city where I've never been before, or Houston.....Houston is the absolute worst.

If I know I've a ways to go before any exits, I get in the inside lane and that way I only have to watch one lane beside me. Also I don't have to worry too much about traffic entering and exiting, but it sure PO's a lot of drivers behind me even though I do my best to drive the speed limit. I've seen lots of them tell me I'm #1.

No matter how fast you drive, there's always someone in a big hurry and wanting to get around you, and most times when they do, there they are in front of you and don't go anywhere else for a long time, but, they're in front by golly!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #60
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
New AS rear bumper sticker:
"I may be slow, but I am ahead of you!"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
New AS rear bumper sticker:
"I may be slow, but I am ahead of you!"
Yea, talk about starting some "road rage".
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Here's an experience from me. I used to be a UPS driver. Every day at lunch I pulled into the outermost area of the parking lot to eat lunch and relax for a while. I always stayed away from the busy areas so I didn't take up needed parking spaces or block lanes.

One day I'm enjoying the spring weather, sitting in the driver's seat, my feet propped up with sandwich in hand. I watched a car coming diagonally across the lot, 2 women in front chatting away. The driver didn't seem to be paying attention and kept coming right at my parked truck. I got ready to abandon ship, should the need arise.

She kept getting closer, now I'm curious as well as worried. At almost the point of no return, the driver finally looks up and sees my truck. She slams on her brakes, blows her horn and shakes her fist at me as she finally changes her course.

It was an interesting lunch, better than most.

My parents were making dinner in their Airstream, in a campsite in a commercial campground, when someone driving a pickup ran into their trailer. "He wasn't paying attention" doesn't even begin to explain that one. Then I guess he got belligerent with them. Police were called, Airstream was fixed under the idiot's insurance, and all was well. But still...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
No one has mentioned the catalyst involved in many a passive passer's problem...cruise control.

I live in Kansas City, so when driving to anywhere out of the city on the interstate, there is generally a nice amount of traffic, but nothing too packed together or unmanageable.

But there are those folks who A) want to pass you and B) want to pass you and keep their cruise control setting exactly where it is on their expected long-term travel speed.

Big Problem. Because they hang out in the passing lane for a LONNNNG time. Then some zippy car behind them, going 9.99 mile per hour over the posted speed limit zooms up behind them, and there are 2 cars in the passing lane, and one is going fast, and one is not.

Wish these folks would learn how to use the bump it function on their cruise control to bump it up one or two notches when passing, and then pass, and then when back in the traffic lane bump back down to their long term speed.

It's not that difficult, but if you haven't read the directions on your new car, you may be driving with cruise control a la 1988.

Also, for myself, I find that I prefer to set my travel speed just a tic under the speed of traffic, so about 1-2 miles over posted mph. Then I have a lot of leeway to bump it up when passing if needed, but most folks will be able to passively pass me and not be so long in the left lane that it drives me crazy. I'll take the extra 10 minutes of drive time to stay where I am.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly,,,, if people cant do something they do every day with a modicum of competence and courtesy, and it seems that driving is a "challenge" for more and more people... Well maybe we are doomed..

Oh well, driverless cars are right around the corner...

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, I'm the same way and believe that's why it's so stressful to drive thru a big city towing the trailer, especially a city where I've never been before, or Houston.....Houston is the absolute worst.

If I know I've a ways to go before any exits, I get in the inside lane and that way I only have to watch one lane beside me. Also I don't have to worry too much about traffic entering and exiting, but it sure PO's a lot of drivers behind me even though I do my best to drive the speed limit. I've seen lots of them tell me I'm #1.

No matter how fast you drive, there's always someone in a big hurry and wanting to get around you, and most times when they do, there they are in front of you and don't go anywhere else for a long time, but, they're in front by golly!

That VW in the video was entirely at fault. It's an illegal maneuver. Period. The truck driver was under no obligation to accommodate anyone trying to pass on the right, and then squeeze into the left where there was no room.

Dallas is worse than Houston. It's the lack of industry in cities that make foe less courtesy. Only Atlanta and D.C. are worse.

Use the second lane, not lane one.

And for those of you wishing to use crappy mirrors, I feel sorry for you.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
That VW in the video was entirely at fault. It's an illegal maneuver. Period. The truck driver was under no obligation to accommodate anyone trying to pass on the right, and then squeeze into the left where there was no room.

Dallas is worse than Houston. It's the lack of industry in cities that make foe less courtesy. Only Atlanta and D.C. are worse.

I don't disagree, but then on the other hand, there would have been no fault at all, and no accident, if the truck driver had not made the effort to accelerate up to prevent the VW from moving over. There was room before the truck accelerated.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case make an accident. It's a miracle the VW didn't go under the truck, and a miracle the VW driver is alive. All because they were in a hurry, and the truck driver had to prove he had the right of way. The VW driver was driving aggressively, and the truck driver was also. Neither driver was driving defensively.

And, the fact that you consider drivers of cars "foe" illustrates your combative, truck driver, mentality. Does your company no give defensive driving classes? I know when I was working in the oil field, we attended them annually.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #67
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
And, the fact that you consider drivers of cars "foe" illustrates your combative, truck driver, mentality.
You're being unfair. Reading slowmover's post, it's clear that the word "foe" is just a typo. The sentence only makes sense if you read "foe" as "for".
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You're being unfair. Reading slowmover's post, it's clear that the word "foe" is just a typo. The sentence only makes sense if you read "foe" as "for".
You may be right, and if I misunderstood, I apologize to you, Slowmover.

Something that I do that I suggest for everyone is to proof read every post before actual posting.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I tow with either a '71 Buick convertible or a '69 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4 door, both 19 + feet long. Back 'then' right side mirrors were an option and seldom ordered. It was long searches to locate factory right side mirrors for both cars. Normal driving I need mirrors on the right side to overcome my difficulty {fused vertebrae) to turn my head right over my shoulder enough to see that no other car is in that 'blind' spot. I set my mirrors to NOT include the side of my car.....I know what they look like. When towing I add towing mirrors angled to take over the view where the car mounted mirrors leave off. A curved mirror on that side would be disturbing to guesstimate any car/object way back beyond the trailer bumper.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Yeah, the VW was only 1 car length behind the car in front of the truck. There was not room to merge, even before the truck may have sped up. Looks to me he tried to run the truck off the road. Only an idiot would do what he did.