Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
My old '58 Chevy Del Ray didn't have any outside mirrors. I was taught to wait until you can see the vehicle's headlights in your rear view mirror before you cut back into the right lane. That still works for me today even with the outside mirrors. (unless you're towing the AS, of course.)

I like the people who cut in way too close to you and put on their signal when they already have 2 tires in your lane. I don't think they understand the concept of "signal", to notify someone of your intent, not what you are doing or have already done.
My Dad taught me the same thing! Works well. Rear camera on the AS and courteous truck drivers who flash lights works well for towing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Here's an example of how bad it can get when there are TWO stupid and hard headed drivers involved. I blame the truck driver MORE than the VW driver for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=UAlSskuIWHE

If the truck driver had just held his speed, nothing bad would have happened, but no, he had to do everything he could to try to prevent the VW driver from getting in front of him.
The truck driver held his speed and even moved over to avoid the vw. The selfish driver of the vw is lucky to be alive. You can be sure after the police seen the video the driver of the vw was issued a ticket.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I use a pair of McKesh mirrors when towing. One flat mirror and one convex "spotter" mirror on each side. I'm careful to judge distance on the right side only with the flat mirror.

Nothing helps with those "other guys", but this keeps me from being one of the offenders.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Hammond , New York
I have a new truck and thought Chevy put a big magnet on my driver's side front bumper. Must have happened 5-6 times on our way to Florida.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The truck driver held his speed and even moved over to avoid the vw. The selfish driver of the vw is lucky to be alive. You can be sure after the police seen the video the driver of the vw was issued a ticket.
Maybe, more video analysis would be required, but it appears to me that the truck speeded up. At a minimum, he "failed to reduce speed to avoid an accident"...one of those catch alls Law Enforcement can pull out of the "bag" and use, at their discretion.....who knows "the rest of the story".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Here's an example of how bad it can get when there are TWO stupid and hard headed drivers involved. I blame the truck driver MORE than the VW driver for this one.
I don't think the truck driver was hardheaded. I think he wasn't paying attention. The timing of his "What the hell?" comment is noteworthy, since it didn't happen until the accident was already over. Had he been paying attention, his "What the hell?" moment would have been when the VW driver first started coming into his lane.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
As I first stated about the video, there were two bad drivers involved, the one in the VW who tried to cut in too close, and persisted in trying to get his/her way, and then there's the truck driver who obviously sped up trying to prevent the VW from changing lanes in front of him.

There were two pig headed drivers involved, and it's a wonder the VW wasn't smashed flat as a pancake and driver killed.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile flashing lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My Dad taught me the same thing! Works well. Rear camera on the AS and courteous truck drivers who flash lights works well for towing.
Flashing lights that you are clear is good idea as I do this for trucks, but many drivers today do not no of these skills, also if you flash then accident happen you at fault. My son is pro driver of 18 wheelers both independent & co. driver, he has about 4+ million miles w/no chargeable accidents, 2 other when auto driver turned left in front of him no chance to hit brakes tboned car, other one lane closed [interstate] he was in open lane kid came up fast tried to sq. in but lane was already gone, he wound up under trailer behind tractor. Both times no injuries very luck idiots both rec. several tickets, so as many studies find 4 wheelers at fault 90% of accidents.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't think the truck driver was hardheaded. I think he wasn't paying attention. The timing of his "What the hell?" comment is noteworthy, since it didn't happen until the accident was already over. Had he been paying attention, his "What the hell?" moment would have been when the VW driver first started coming into his lane.
Go back and watch the video paying attention to all that happened before the "what the hell". Even assuming the driver said that, and not the co-driver, it was said after the truck driver sped up in an effort to prevent the VW from changing lanes, and after the truck driver had moved onto the shoulder when he saw the VW moving over in spite of his efforts to prevent it. The truck driver knew exactly what was going on all the time.

The VW driver is just stupid and lucky to be alive.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Right Featherbedder, a truck flashing lights IS NOT an excuse to forget all your other responsibilities. I regard it as an ADDITIONAL input to my other lane change checks, which only indicates that that particular driver has seen me, knows my intentions, and is comfortable with my distance from him.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #39
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Passing...

Ok, "law" time?

I think there should be a change or new law stating "if a driver intentionally enters a "buffer/reaction zone", between vehicles, they are immediately at fault. This includes those who race to the front of an exit ramp before forcing a merge. This is same for all "lane merge/change" actions whether on open road or at entrance/ exit ramps. "

Imagine the "revenue"!!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ok, "law" time?

I think there should be a change or new law stating "if a driver intentionally enters a "buffer/reaction zone", between vehicles, they are immediately at fault. This includes those who race to the front of an exit ramp before forcing a merge. This is same for all "lane merge/change" actions whether on open road or at entrance/ exit ramps. "

Imagine the "revenue"!!!!
There is already a law like that. Unless there is signage or traffic lights to indicate otherwise, a person already in a traffic lane has the right of way over someone entering or crossing the lane.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There is already a law like that. Unless there is signage or traffic lights to indicate otherwise, a person already in a traffic lane has the right of way over someone entering or crossing the lane.
Not sure it exists in all states, and if it does, it certainly is not enforced. I know it is not in Texas.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #42

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Not sure it exists in all states, and if it does, it certainly is not enforced. I know it is not in Texas.
In Louisiana, it's only enforced in the event of a collision, to determine fault for traffic ticket (and insurance) purposes. They don't chase down offenders who don't cause collisions; the price of the misdemeanor ticket isn't worth hot pursuit. Kind of like a "no blood, no foul" rule in playground basketball games, except on the highway.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4