Old 07-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
Parking, not camping, in Washington DC

We're going to be visiting family in DC for a few days beginning tomorrow. They live in an apartment with limited parking. We'd like to stay with them while we're visiting and park our AS somewhere safe. We don't really need a campground for this since we won't be using any hook-ups.
Does anyone know of a place we could just park it, but have it be safe and not pay a bundle?
Thanks - Photostreamers.com

Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Are you a WBCCI member? I'd check into courtesy parking - I know several WDCU members that live in the DC area have it and probably would be happy to let you park it there. (I ask about WBCCI only because it's in the directory - I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away if you aren't members.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You might want to check with the Metro system. They have park and ride lots and might offer longer term parking. The Metro is a great way to get around in DC.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You might want to check with the Metro system. They have park and ride lots and might offer longer term parking. The Metro is a great way to get around in DC.
As far as I know, Metro does not offer longer term parking in any lot. I've heard of situations where you can park your car there overnight (for example, if you work the night shift downtown), but I think those are handled on a case by case basis.

I'd recommend against leaving a vehicle in a Metro lot overnight if it's at all possible to avoid it - some of them are not the safest places.

In addition to that issue, you'd probably be occupying more than just one spot, and Metro lots need all the spots they have, and then some, so Metro probably would turn down a request for you to park a camper there.

Also, some Metro lots are actually parking decks, such as New Carrollton.

Now, BWI, Dulles, and National Airports all have long-term parking that might be better for this situation, and all three have lots (rather than parking decks). So that's a possibility. But still I think I'd try the courtesy parking first.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Now, BWI, Dulles, and National Airports all have long-term parking that might be better for this situation, and all three have lots (rather than parking decks). So that's a possibility. But still I think I'd try the courtesy parking first.
BWI has a train to Downtown DC.
The entire Baltimore-Washington area is paranoid central. Parking a Vehicle and trailer at an airport is likely to attract the interest of security/police.
I would suggest courtsey parking is your best bet.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
We stayed in Cherry Hill RV Park near DC last summer, and it was fairly expensive, but we met a fellow at a gas station who suggested that there was a beautiful state park nearby that had hookups and was about 1/3 the daily cost of Cherry Hill. The name of the park escapes me, but with a little research, that might be an option for you.

If you talk to the rangers, they may have a storage space you can just drop the trailer at for a few days. Most state parks have maintenance yards that have space.

Roger
Old 07-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
courtesy parking

This forums has a courtesy parking list. If you are on the portal page look to the left at the list and click on courtesy parking. You can search by state/area too if I remember correctly.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
Parking solution in DC

Thanks for your suggestions. We looked at the courtesy parking but couldn't figure out how to sort by location and since there are so many pages to search through we didn't pursue that too long.

We did find a US national park, Greenbelt Park that charges only $16 a day. It's even closer in than the expensive Cherry Hill. It's working out well.

One thing we learned...we didn't find the national park by doing a Google search for "camping near DC". I can't recall exactly how we found it, but if you're searching for camping, don't forget the parks. We just got so focused on our first search we didn't realize parks might not show up in the search.
Learning as we go.

Tags
parking