Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
only because I care...

I'm not sure what year your Ford is, but if there are airbags in front, they could seriously harm your children if they go off. The back seat is the safest area for them.

Ok, soapbox off...

Very funny story aside from my overgrown fears.
Thanks for sharing!
Marc
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Sorry to hear of such an incident...I've been towing for about 12 years and fortunately have not had anything even close to that occur. However, I once witnessed a trailer fishtail and flip a couple of hundred yards in front of me on the interstate and, even though the family was uninjured (shook up for sure), it was still a disasterous event for them. I switched to a Hensley Arrow hitch system last year when we bought our new Airstream and after pulling from Tesas to NC and back I can vouch for the system doing what it is advertised to do. Not sure if it would completely prevent a fishtail or rollover from an axle break or similarly serious wheel problem, but I am pretty sure it would provide better stability control than the other hitch systems. Just a thought. Hope your family recovers well and this event doesn't cause any hesitation to getting back into the fold of RV-ing. It's always an adventure.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
What an interesting series of posts and speculations. Much food for thought here and a first class mystery. After re-reading Little Radio's posts and Beginner's, I'm inclined to speculate further that the problem is/was uncommanded differential braking on the trailer probably of a purely mechanical nature. This would account for the sudden unbidden onset of braking effort and might explain why the problem ceased when the TV's brakes were applied. Applying the brakes would activate the trailer brakes too and possibly "reset" whatever was causing the drag?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #84
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, I have been reminded by this thread of another situation I read about on another forum that I don't read very often about an elderly gentleman whose 30'+ SOB did the same thing. He used a Hensley Arrow hitch and his son wrote the post and was convinced that the cause was the hitch. I never heard if it was ever determined what caused the accident.

Also, another member of our forum experienced the same thing with his Spartan Manor when his hitch failed. I believe his accident was caused by a combination of the tail of the trailer being overloaded and the hitch failure as a result of the overloaded rear of the trailer. I don't remember the brand of hitch he used, but it was a snap-up type of hitch and one of the weight distribution bars dropped out of the hitch socket causing an unbalanced weight distribution scenario.

I'm sure you have examined the hitch, LittleRadio, but you might take a closer look at it and make sure that nothing went wrong with the hitch. We'd all like to know what happened and we all hope your parents are well on their way to recovery.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #85
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It'll be interesting to see what the root cause was...any updates LR?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I'm not sure what year your Ford is, but if there are airbags in front, they could seriously harm your children if they go off. The back seat is the safest area for them.

Ok, soapbox off...

Very funny story aside from my overgrown fears.
Thanks for sharing!
Marc
No worries on the soap box, Ive seen the slow motion videos of airbags deployed in combination with child seats. Scary stuff indeed.

I think the airbags where an option for the 97s but my truck doesnt have them. It didnt bother me when I bought the truck because being a long bed supercab, it was huge by local standards. But then I drove it through Texas where it qualifies for Compact parking spaces
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #87
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile
being a long bed supercab, it was huge by local standards. But then I drove it through Texas where it qualifies for Compact parking spaces
It's not a real pickup in Texas, unless it is a long bed, 4 door duallie 4x4. I had the long bed Supercab, it was a Texas midsize truck...really did come from Texas, too.
I know from experience that insurance investigations can take weeks, if not months, to complete. We all know where this thread is, let's give LittleRadio some time to hear back from the insurance company, and let us know what the final determination of the root cause was. I also know from personal experience the insurance company will have no problem throwing Airstream, the tow vehicle manufacturer, the parents, or the state highway department, under the bus when they determine cause.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #88
_

. , .
hi littleradio

it would be nice for some update on this event...

parents doing well?

causes narrowed?

resolution with insurance folks?

there has been some speculation in this thread, which i don't see as harmful.

looking over related threads,

was this classic being tow'd by the 1/2 ton dodge noted here?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...sic-16108.html

and was the factory original electrical/wiring for this truck ALTERED as reported in post 7 here?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...sic-16462.html

did the factory guys ever TOW the unit to check performance?

keep us informed.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #89
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Just a couple of quotes from the first thread linked above:
Quote:
The 1500 may have slightly smaller braking surfaces and lower capacity springs, but it's essentially the same truck. Are your concerns really merited? (I guess we'll find out, because he picked up his truck yesterday, picks up his Classic on Friday, and heads out into Northern Michigan for test weekend this Saturday).
Maybe he found out and that's why we haven't heard any updates on the cause.
Quote:
I think what most are agreeing on here is that it's more of a safety concern for your father and those on the road around him. Excessive wear on an engine & tranny are secondary. That big of a trailer will be wagging the dog on quick stops & maneuvers, which we all have to be prepared for.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #90
_

. , .
a quick and final follow up....

i've learned the tv was upgraded to 2500 ram quad with normal factory harness wiring...

so that answers my questions.

the parents are on the bumpy road to recovery

i suspect discussing this accident is an ongoing stressor and the family/poster has moved on.

we should too...

safe travels everyone

peace/out

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Closed Thread