Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Panama City, Fla. campground advise wanted

Hi, Planning a trip south next week. Thinking of Panama City area and would appreciate any guidance with camping in the area. I had not thought about spring break until now so perhaps bad planning
on my part. I was checking Tyndall AFB. They have a campgrounds but do not take reservations. I really don't expect much there. There is a nearby State Park. They take reservations and I will check tomorrow to see what their availability is. There are also several privates in the area. The SP is the most reasonable price, the privates are quite a bit more.

Appreciate if you would share your experience in the area ( good or bad ). Also any input in things to do / see. We are a retired couple with no kids, no pets. Just lookin to see something different, relax and end winter a bit early.

We have a 1985 31' Airstream pulled by an '06 Dodge diesel

Thanks in advance for any help.

Roger in NJ
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Spring break is starting in Panama City Beach. You might steer clear of the beaches area.. I have not been to the Tyndall AFB campground I have heard it is nice. Some nice beaches in Mexico Beach area (10 miles) east on HWY 98 several good resturants in both areas. I have lived in Panama City all my life if you need anything please don't hesitate to contact me...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Our experiences with Florida State Parks have always been excellent !

They really do a nice job. After a little research, I wouldn't hesitate if it were near to our destination.

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
St. Andrews State Park

We enjoy St. Andrews State Park. I just did a search and all sites are booked next week.............HOWEVER...........If I were interested in going, I'd keep a close watch on the reservation website for cancellations. We lucked up last August and found a last minute cancellation and it ended up being one of the best waterfront sites. They may also have some sites that are non-reservable.

You may also want to check out St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. If relaxation / quiet times are what you need, this is your place. Here is the website: http://www.floridastateparks.org/STJOSEPH/ It's about an hour or so from Panama City. It is what I would picture "old Florida" looked like.........before all of the condos and tourist traps.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks for the replys. Have to do some checking tomorrow.

May try to look outside of PCB. Poor planning on my part. Last year we went to the Keys around the same time. Flew down and really got soaked for a car rental. A week earlier and it would have been 1/3 the price. Oh well. Had a great time though.

Thanks all again.
Roger
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote