Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Palm Springs to Alumafiesta

I'm registered for Alumafiesta in early February and will probably depart a week or so early from Palm Springs. I'm looking for a good spot to stay midway and have a few options: 1) Slab City, 2) Quartzite or 3) Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. Just wondering if anyone on the forum have been or will be near these places in late January? Or, if you have recommendations for other places en route you can recommend, that would be great. Note, this will be the start of full-timing for me…boon docking is doable (have solar panels and upgraded battery bank etc.)..that said, am I biting off more than I can chew (i.e.: boon docking at Slab City!)? Confidence level is high but may be a case of ignorance is bliss LOL!
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Might be just me, but I would not go to Slab City with a nice Airstream, but Quartzsite I would. Also along your route if you're taking IH10, check out Picacho Peak St Park, AZ, City of Rocks State Park, NM, and Balmorea State Park, TX.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I don't know how much camping you've done yet, but I would think you might be better to spend some nights in a RV park with hookups just to wring out the rig. You can always unplug, you know? OTOH, if you have a lot of camping already, then going for boondocking is just a choice.

Hey, good luck!
(Neighbors in Cathedral City)
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Thanks SteveH...I've never been to Slab City but I kind of had the same thought in the back of my head...maybe down the track or with a group in the future.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Howdy neighbours in Cathedral City...not a lot of recent camping experience and none in the Airstream...I've got it stored at Emerald Desert RV resort prepping for a shakedown trip to Joshua Tree in January. I'll move it from storage to a site for about two weeks before I leave in order to familiarise myself further on the AS's systems and daily life. Probably best to play it by ear after a week or so...appreciate your input!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I wouldn't go to Slab City alone...if you go there, go with someone who has been there before. Joshua Tree is great. Love it there. There are four AZ state Parks on the AZ side of the Lower Colorado ... the northernmost is Lake Havasu, then south to Cattail Cove, south a bit further to River Island Park, and a mile further south is Buckskin Mt State Park...these are all north of Parker and east of Joshua Tree, and you can make reservations at the state parks. Quartize is south of Parker about 35 miles, and doable ... true boon docking areas are vast and there are also commercial places to stay. From Quartzsite you can go south toward Yuma and over to Tucson on I-8. Lots of RV parks in Yuma. If you go east from Quartzsite toward Phx you can visit some of the Maricopa County Recreation Parks around Phx Metro (Lake Pleasant, Cave Creek, Usery Mt, McDowell Mt), and there is also Lost Dutchman State Park NW of Apache Junction on the east end of Phx Metro...Lost Dutchman is excellent. From Phx south to Tucson on I-10 there is Picacho Peak State Park right off the interstate...that's where we hold our annual 4CU New Year's Rally (in process even as I type ... we'll be there tomorrow). Around Tucson there are a number of RV parks, and also public campgrounds: Catalina State Park on the NW side near Oro Valley .... and Gilbert Ray Campground (no reservations) run by Pima County in the Tucson Mountain Park.

Have fun!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
I've been to Slab City and not everyone is on drugs. There are people from all walks of life there like any "City". I met some Airstreamer's there for a small rally a few years ago and it was a very interesting experience. There are people that live there that have very expensive rigs so I wouldn't worry about your Airstream. Since you are new to full timing I would add Slab City to your list of adventures. I thought Quartzite was a weird place, full of older folks, and ugly but I would add that to your list of adventures as well. You should also go to Burning man. There is a group of Airstreamer's that go every year.
I spent about 5 years traveling in my Airstream. The nicest people I met were Airstreamer's! I know you are going to have a wonderful time! Safe travels!
Julie
jaojamjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

Thanks all…I'll visit Slab City and Quartzsite another time…so I've booked Picacho, Usery and McDowell for various times in February…they all look great! So Julie, have you stopped full-timing? Did you have a blog? I'd love to read up if you did…

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Perhaps I'll join you! I'm going to alumna fiesta too, coming from Lake Tahoe.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
Hi LJ,
I am full timing right now in an RV park near San Francisco. I am one of 6 Airstreams here. 3 of which are occupied by women. I wish I did do a blog because I have some great stories but I didn't. If you have any questions I'll be happy to give you any info. FYI as you are passing thru you can stay at Cracker Barrels, Walmart"s and places like Flying J, Love's etc. Stopping to hook up if your just passing thru gets expensive. I never felt scared at any of these places. Just make sure you ask first at Walmart and Cracker Barrel's cause sometimes you can't stay at particular ones. Usually the security guards watch out for you at Walmart"s. There was a yahoo Walmart RVing group not sure if they are still going, but there was a great member that complied a list of all the Walmart's all over the country. Good info to have. I wish I was on the road again but need to work right now. Have a great time!
Julie
jaojamjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaojamjab View Post
Hi LJ,
I am full timing right now in an RV park near San Francisco. I am one of 6 Airstreams here. 3 of which are occupied by women. I wish I did do a blog because I have some great stories but I didn't. If you have any questions I'll be happy to give you any info. FYI as you are passing thru you can stay at Cracker Barrels, Walmart"s and places like Flying J, Love's etc. Stopping to hook up if your just passing thru gets expensive. I never felt scared at any of these places. Just make sure you ask first at Walmart and Cracker Barrel's cause sometimes you can't stay at particular ones. Usually the security guards watch out for you at Walmart"s. There was a yahoo Walmart RVing group not sure if they are still going, but there was a great member that complied a list of all the Walmart's all over the country. Good info to have. I wish I was on the road again but need to work right now. Have a great time!
Julie
Thanks for the advice Julie…I head off soon…my first night might be at a Flying J…we'll see…I have a campground as a backup as it's my first trip. Did a shakedown last week and all went well. Looking forward to what's ahead. Thanks again, John