Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
For all those who expressed interest, I'm sorry to report that I'm not able to do it in May. I'd like to work to get the 4CU to sponsor this rally next year. Maybe with a year's lead time and formal sponsorship, we can make this happen.

More later,
Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #86
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Sorry to hear that Zep, I was looking forward to seeing you again. I still plan on being in southern Utah during May and doing some shooting. I will be departing the San Fransisco area around the May 13, everything is wide open after that. Of course in the absence of plans, there is no telling where I will end up.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
For all those who expressed interest, I'm sorry to report that I'm not able to do it in May. I'd like to work to get the 4CU to sponsor this rally next year. Maybe with a year's lead time and formal sponsorship, we can make this happen.

More later,
Zep
Keep me on the list. My interest is tweeked. If I can swing it I would like to go check out the area around White Pocket before, maybe May.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #88
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

More later,
Zep
Zep,
Let's see if we can make this work for 2011, it sounds like a great trip. All rallies start with a location and a date, everything else just works itself out. Since the restoration rally has moved from April to June, a rally in April would work out great.

I think this will be a great event for the unit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #89
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I agree. This sounds like a great rally idea for April or even May since April may still be the rainy season. Let's keep this on the back burner for 2011.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Anyone available this April?

April 2011 is OK, but I am wondering if there is anyone that is interested and available this April??
A mild weather boondock photo rally might become a FCU annual event. There should be enough scenic locations in the SW to last for years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Zep,
Let's see if we can make this work for 2011, it sounds like a great trip. All rallies start with a location and a date, everything else just works itself out. Since the restoration rally has moved from April to June, a rally in April would work out great.

I think this will be a great event for the unit.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Be there (Page, AZ) on 4/26

We plan to tour the canyon on the next day and will be at the Page/Lake Powell RV campground. My question is who are the recommended tour guides (listed on the Navajo Tribal Park Antelope Canyon site)? We will definitely do the upper canyon. And yes great idea for a 4CU rally.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #92
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Ken -
I stayed at Page/Lake Powell CG last November. It's "adequate" but nothing special. It is close to town, and to Antelope Canyons. Wahweep Marina is much nicer, a ways out of town, and (hard to justify) $46 a night.
I was there primarily for photography and spent little time in the campground. I'd recommend Lower Antelope canyon, rather than Upper Antelope, if you only can do one of the two.
You can drive yourself to the entrance to Lower Antelope. If you have a tripod with you, you can pay a small amount extra and are allowed to be in the canyon for 4 hours as a photographer. No tripod = 1 hour maximum, as I remember. A "guide" is required. A high school kid walked me to the canyon entrance, and thereafter I was on my own. I saw perhaps a dozen people in just under 4 hours.
Upper Antelope is at least as spectacular, but is extremely heavily visited. You must book with a guide service (I used Antelope Canyon Tours, owned by Caroline Ekis) and they were good at keeping other tourists out of our photos, including the tour bus of at least 100 folks. They drive you out in heavy sand 6 miles to the canyon entrance, and stay with you for the entire experience. Two hours is max on the "photographer's tour."
There are many other places worth visiting around Page. Laurent Martres book "Photographing the Southwest Vol. 2 - Arizona" was very helpful.
Enjoy your visit!
Mark
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
You can show up at either Upper or Lower without one of the in town guide services.

They will take your money at Upper and load you onto the transport truck with an on site guide to the slot canyon. With the photo pass you get a longer time in the canyon. Upper Antelope is flat bottomed, about 1/4 a mile one way walk through, with the guide, then they let you be on your own to make your way back to the entrance when at the appointed time, you are loaded back into the transport vehicle and taken back to the parking lot.

At Lower they will take your money, and an on site guide will take you to the entrance and guide you through the canyon one way, then climb out and make your way back to the parking lot. With a photo pass you get a longer length of time in the canyon.
Entering you will climb down the first of several ladders. Lower Antelope requires MUCH more athletic ability to climb down and then up out of the canyon and to scramble over much rougher terrain inside the canyon's 3/8 mile length, so choose Lower Antelope ONLY if you are physically able to go up and down ladders, etc.
Easier physically is why Upper Antelope is much more heavily visited even though they are right across the road from one another.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
Thanks for you abundant suggestions including Mulley Point Overlook. Our intent is to go to Mulley Point Overlook around the second week of May. Several other websites suggest that the road is not advisable for vehicles over 20 feet. What is your experience taking a trailer up the 5 mile turnoff? Lots of nearby alternatives to camping at the overlook and making it a day trip but I would like to give it a try. Our 4x4 and 23' Safari has been a good combination for off pavement travel. After Mulley we will head for Vermillion Cliffs and White Pocket. Thanks, John
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Mulley Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airxtream View Post
Thanks for you abundant suggestions including Mulley Point Overlook. Our intent is to go to Mulley Point Overlook around the second week of May. Several other websites suggest that the road is not advisable for vehicles over 20 feet. What is your experience taking a trailer up the 5 mile turnoff? Lots of nearby alternatives to camping at the overlook and making it a day trip but I would like to give it a try. Our 4x4 and 23' Safari has been a good combination for off pavement travel. After Mulley we will head for Vermillion Cliffs and White Pocket. Thanks, John
I must have missed the info on Mulley Point. Where is it?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
...on May 18th. And, please lay out the schedule for the following days. I'd have to depart for home on May 25th.
It looks like we can make it
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I must have missed the info on Mulley Point. Where is it?
Muley (my spelling error.. not Mulley) Point overlook is a suggested site in post #42 earlier in this thread. The American Southwest website calls Mulley Point Overlook one of the best free camping sites in Utah. Muley Point, Mexican Hat, Utah We spent a few days at Crazy Jug Point on the north rim of the Grand Canyon last May. Wonderous solitude.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airxtream View Post
... Several other websites suggest that the road is not advisable for vehicles over 20 feet. What is your experience taking a trailer up the 5 mile turnoff? ...
I've taken the Overlander (27') up that road/cliff with no problem a couple of times. But I'm towing with an F-250 diesel 4X4, which may make all the difference. I think it looks worse than it is.

However, if it's at all wet, I wouldn't do it, since the road up the cliff is dirt. It's paved below and above, but not in the switchbacks.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote