Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Not yet. My summer has been taken up by building a kayak and then getting in the water up in the Pudget Sound. But it is time to think about whether we can get a viable "moving rally" together.

I'm happy to apply my knowledge of the camping spots and photo areas if others can agree on a notional calendar.

Zep
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Moving Rocks Rally

OK, you members suggest some alternate names...PM me with suggested names and dates so we don't clutter up the thread and I'll post them as one consolidated post. (Who dowe nominate to screw this up first? ) By 1 November, please.

Rule #1: Not very many rules.
Rule #2: This is primarily planned for boondockers.
Rule #3: Locations are picked for their photographic potential.
Rule #4: Have fun. Maybe this should be rule #1.
Rule #5: Pack in, pack out. Tread lightly.
Rule #6: Anasazi sites can only be shown to others, directions are never given out.
Rule #7: Ixnay on July and August. Even June can be pretty tough. Pick some other month.

I've thought about this and I think it will take 3 weekends. Whoever (whomever?) the Rally Master is would park at each location for 6 days, then move his or her stakes to the next camp. Attendees could come or go as their schedule permitted. My suggestions are the three locations on the map, all selected because they offer several attractions and two have an alternate commercial RV camp not too far away (like 40 miles).

If this rally is a go, I can provide maps and photos for all the attractions described below, and then some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rocks rally labeled.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	88656

1. First location is near the BLM Paria river trail head. From here you can hike the Buckskin slot canyon, try to get a permit for North Coyote Buttes (where The Wave is located), or south Coyote Buttes. You can also take the 35 mile drive to Page and visit the Antelope Canyons (north and south). There are several commercial RV parks in Page.

2. Second location is Mulley Point Overlook, above the Goosenecks of the San Juan. It's about 4 miles down a dirt road. Valley of the Gods is just down the cliff and Grand Gulch is a few miles north. You can hike Comb Ridge and the anasazi ruins or go a few miles north to Bridges National Park. The town of Bluff is a charming location, with a terrific historical restaurant (Cow Canyon, with a library of geological and western history books) and a commercial RV park.

3. Third location is exit 129 off of I-70, Sinbad Country. This area should be a national park. Goblin Valley is about an hour away, and Horseshoe Canyon (rock art central) is a little further, with maybe 40 minutes of dirt road at the end. Many autos make the trip, so it's not bad. The Sinbad area pretty much defies description--rock art and red rocks abound. You can also get up to the San Rafael Canyon overlook, touted as a small Grand Canyon. Sago Canyon is a bit of a stretch (about 60 miles), but it would be convenient to visit by using highway 191 to get between the 2nd and 3rd week campsites, instead of 24.

As you can see by the circles on the map, there are many major attractions for attendees to visit on their way in or out.

OK, it's now up to you whether we do this as a group, or not. I'll alert the 4CU President to see if they are interested in owning this rally (durn, I guess I'll have to join...).

Zep
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Terrific plan...hope that I can be there...

Zep,

I really appreciate your initiative on this adventure. Hope that I can clear the time to take it all in. You'd think that being retired and living just down the road a piece it would be easy to fit in, but the family and now teaching obligations do intrude.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Hmm, we like that area, will keep this thread in mind. There is a great BLM campsite west of Bluff, also. Called "Sand Island", right on the river. Dry camping. Anyone who drinks (not to excess, perish the thought) would be advised to pack lots, Utah is pretty dry.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Moving Rocks Rally

no, we're not moving the rocks, we're moving the rally!

here's a hot link to the particulars (just one page back) http://www.airforums.com/forums/757696-post42.html

A member has pointed out that she can't make the whole thing. Well, that's the point--come for the weekend that is either most interesting to you or a weekend that your schedule allows.

Which prompts me to think , hey, instead of doing this over several weekends, maybe it would be nifty to do one location a year, sort of a theme rally for the 4CU. The theme would be boondocking and photography (or cooking and drinking, whatever). There are a lot more than just three locations that offer the kinds of attractions mentioned above.

One thing I noted last week at Dead Horse State Park (next to Canyonlands) is that every improved campsite was full. You would have thought it was summer and the kids were out of school. Maybe the recession has made "seeing America" a more attractive option. Whatever, I couldn't believe the number of RVs out in the parks. If anyone else has similar experience, we should pool it and think about the crowds. Maybe if we do dispersed camping (a BLM term for boondocking) we can avoid them. I prefer it, in any event.

Zep
Old 10-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Sounds great

Count us in.....hope we can make it...have been dying to go to that part of Arizona.....thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Zion NP

Will be in Zion NP, UT the second week in November to photograph. The Fall color in the canyon should be peaking if the photo gods smile on us. So if y'all are out and about, more aluminum is needed in the area.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #48
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Howard -
I'll also be in the neighborhood, with camera and aluminum. I have a permit for North Coyote Buttes on Nov 10 and will be based in Page for a few days. Thereafter I'll be in Monument Valley. I hope you're right about the timing of Fall colors!!
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis View Post
Howard -
I'll also be in the neighborhood, with camera and aluminum. I have a permit for North Coyote Buttes on Nov 10 and will be based in Page for a few days. Thereafter I'll be in Monument Valley. I hope you're right about the timing of Fall colors!!
Mark
Some years it is great and some it is a flop. Just depends on what the weather does and how wet a year it has been. At Zion, the canyon is protected from the cold to a certain extent so a killing frost usually comes later. The upper parts of the park will probably have most of the color gone by then. Last year it was "green as grass" in the canyon the first week in Nov.

Howard

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Trip Earlier This Year

Hope you enjoy the photo's taken from Glen Canyon Recreation (we camped here), from Antelope Slot Canyon (North) and from Horseshoe Bend. We stayed at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and was heading back South for a couple more stops.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3557.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	90104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horse Shoe Bend.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	90105  

Name:	ASC Beam-a.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	90106  
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Antelope North? Really? I didn't know there was an alcove like that in the north canyon.

How wide is your lens that you took the Horseshoe Bend with?

Zep
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Lens

I used a Nikor 14-24mm f 2.8 ED attached to a Nikon D300. It's an outstanding lens, but it's heavy.

To my knowledge, as I was told by the tour company that I used for the photo shoot, that there is a North and South Slot Canyon's. Selecting which canyon is based upon what time of the day you go to get the best light to shoot.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Moving rocks rally ?

Hi.... I'm very interested in joining some folks in northern AZ for this rally. Any info on when? My plans are to be traveling in that area between Christmas and March or April. Seems like spring would be warmer fro boondocking. Love to boondock and very interested in the photo opportunities!
Please let me know!
Phantom
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Slot Canyon

Sorry, I should have stated Upper and lower slot canyon.
Check out this link

Antelope Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Hey Zep.... Please let me know..... What week-ends are we talking about? I can't seem to get a clear fix on the dates. We're getting a late start out of Michigan... (around Nov. 15th). Love to meet up with you folks in this area, but don't know if we can get there soon enough! Please let me know what weeks we're talking about.
Phantom
Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
This will be springtime (May-ish) or fall (Sept-Oct) next year, 2010.

Zep
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Hope it's May-ish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
This will be springtime (May-ish) or fall (Sept-Oct) next year, 2010.

Zep
...and early enough to visit all the sites before we have to leave for Chicago about May 25th.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Have you guys seen White Pocket??

This place might be a bit challenging to visit but between stays at other locations, it might be well worth a day or two camped out in our tow vehicles if we can't get the Airstreams too close.

Check out Rich Charpentier's blog for some stunning photos of this unique and seldom visited area taken a week ago. See them at The Airstream Chronicles Continued › Photos, Tech Tips, Life 2.0, and more….all from an Airstream.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
The map below shows the planned location of the first weekend/week. Note that this area is between the two branches of US-89. The north branch goes to Kanab, the south branch goes to the North Rim. There are two BLM offices between our planned camp location and Page. One is for the Paria trailhead and the other one, more to the east, is the main Escalante Center.

The whole area around White Pocket is incredible. I think a week is way too little time to spend in the area. Our planned boon dock camp is at the top of the map. You can get an Airstream down House Rock Road about half way to Wire Pass, but then you find some a gully that is no problem for a car or truck, but the dip is too short/steep for a mid-wheel trailer. House Rock Road maintenance varies--sometimes smooth, other times rough.

Wire Pass is the entrance for both Buckskin Slot Canyon and North Coyote Buttes, where the Wave is. You can see Buckskin Canyon under the arrow pointing to North Coyote Buttes. Permits for Buckskin and South Coyote are relatively easy to obtain. A permit for the Wave is very difficult, if you don't get one in the first minute [via the web] or so when the window opens for the month.

You can drive to White Pocket from the camp for a day trip, but it would be 2-3 hours in, then the same back out. Probably best to do a one night tent camp there.

Name:	vermillion-label.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	641.1 KB
ID:	90585

Zep
Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Hey Zep.... Thanks for all the great info and maps. We'll b e leaving MI shortly. As soon as the Bambi is fixed. Looks like we should be in the Page area in maybe March or April. I guess we'll miss your mini-rally in May... as we plan to be back in MI about 1st of May.
anyone who would plan on being in the area in a March-April time frame I would love to hear from. Have a great gathering!!
Phantom