Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Most any time after Oct. 20 sounds good to me.
This would be after the Balloon Fiesta Rally and the Pumpkin Chucking Rally.

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I am still going through photos from the July 4th trip....
"Into the Light"
Inside Lower Antelope Canyon near Page AZ the light changes moment by moment as it reflects and refracts off the Navajo sandstone walls. It truly is like no other place on earth.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #31
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Beautiful images, David! I missed this thread in real time and found it tonight. I've been lucky enough to have secured a permit for North Coyote Buttes ("The Wave") for Nov 10. I'm going to stay in Page for 4-5 days, and will definitely see Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons, among other destinations; photography is my jourmey's focus. I want to conclude with 2-3 days in Monument Valley. I had hoped to stay at the Mitten View CG next to the Visitors Center, but it has been closed and a hotel is now on the property. There is a new, primitive CG nearby - no designated sites, no amenities. Has anyone been there?? I'd prefer to stay "in the park" rather than at Gouldings CG, but don't want to endanger my trailer's belly pan getting to the CG.
Any other photo folks gonna be in Page in this time frame?
Mark
Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Mark, follow the link below for a photo of the primitive campground. A couple friends of mine stayed there a few days ago in their motorhomes....I think you will be okay boondocking there, and if you need hookups, there is always Gouldings.

Tear Drop Arch on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

^^^^ the link...the photo is the first one in the comments section.

AIR # 410
Old 08-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
David -
MANY thanks! This is great info - I didn't want to arrive with trailer and find the location inhospitable. This looks barren but also looks like an excellent photo opportunity. Night skies could be special here. I'll go here for sure - I have a Honda generator and more than adequate water capacity. I plan to dry camp in Page also, near Lone Rock at a site a full-timer friend recommended.
Mark
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Mark, I met fellow AirForums member "phoenix" at Lone Rock....just walked up and introduced myself. He was boondocking at Lone Rock...we were at Page RV Park on Coppermine Rd in town with full hookups in the 100 degree Summer heat.

At Lone Rock there is some parking sites up near the end of the paved road, and there is also the ability to drive right down on the beach IF and ONLY IF you have 4x4. Someone is always getting stuck with out it and needing towed out. Someplaces are pretty firm although some are very loose and deep sand.

AIR # 410
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
...The loop is Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Hwy 12, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon/Lake Powell, Petrified Forrest, Canyon de Chelley, Monument Valley, Hovenweep, Mesa Verde....start at any point on the loop.

Page is centrally located in "The Grand Circle" for a Rally by either AirForums or FCU. ...
David's right--it's the greatest road trip. And there's more than one way to loop around, eg, North Rim or not, Chaco or not. The real question is, would the Great Western Movable Rally focus on known and popular places with nice hookups, or lesser known fantastic places with more boondocking? Maybe one kind one year and then the other kind the next year?

Click image for larger version

Name:	grand loop.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	86402

Inside that grand loop there are places like Comb Ridge and Grand Gulch, full of anasazi ruins and rock art. Bluff is a great little town where the Cow Canyon Restaurant is great place to eat, buy books, and experience a museum feel. The Valley of the Gods, just west of Bluff, is an easy to get to taste of the Grand Gulch area. And as a bonus, you can say you've climbed the cliff switchbacks on Utah 261 on the way to Grand Gulch. I wouldn't miss the Goosenecks of the San Juan overlook on the way. Or the Mule Canyon ruins east of Bridges NP...

Name:	grand gulch.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	666.4 KB
ID:	86400 Click image for larger version

Name:	TT-Four Rooms ruin-duotone-5x7.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	528.1 KB
ID:	86407

Or the area west of Page, where the Wave and the Buckskin slot canyon are the main attractions.

Name:	paria plateau.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	86401 Click image for larger version

Name:	P-Antelope Canyon Alcove-4-11x14.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	86404

Name:	IMG_5203 wave.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	86403

Not to mention Horseshoe Canyon (a detatched part of Canyonlands) and Goblin Valley, or how about the San Rafael Swell on I-70 west of Green River? Wow! Should be a National Park, for sure. Sinbab is an area up on the Swell.

Name:	P-Sinbad Storm-2 copy.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	86405 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9485 sell-s.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	86408

And Monument Valley, of course. (at 2:40 in Robert's video below, you will see these buttes)

Name:	P-Sunrise Buttes-levels-toned.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	86406

When we going?

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Your wonderful images brought this to mind......

Native American prophecy. [VIDEO]

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
If you want to get the most out of your time there, read any book by Craig Childs (reviews here) or In Search of the Old Ones by Roberts or many others on the Hopi and Navajo belief systems.

Zep
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Sounds and looks like a great trip to me.

That is a place we definitely want to explore. Thanks for sharing your photos and information....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Zep, you win the merit badge for going to these great places and the wonderful photos.

My opinion would be to omit the big popular places because they are easy to find and lots of people have seen them already. Places like the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Canyon de Chelly and Mesa Verde.

My interest is Antelope Canyon and attractions in that general area. If this were done at a time of year when A/C is not needed then I would vote for the "fantastic places with more boondocking" as you put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
David's right--it's the greatest road trip. And there's more than one way to loop around, eg, North Rim or not, Chaco or not. The real question is, would the Great Western Movable Rally focus on known and popular places with nice hookups, or lesser known fantastic places with more boondocking? Maybe one kind one year and then the other kind the next year?

Attachment 86402

Inside that grand loop there are places like Comb Ridge and Grand Gulch, full of anasazi ruins and rock art. Bluff is a great little town where the Cow Canyon Restaurant is great place to eat, buy books, and experience a museum feel. The Valley of the Gods, just west of Bluff, is an easy to get to taste of the Grand Gulch area. And as a bonus, you can say you've climbed the cliff switchbacks on Utah 261 on the way to Grand Gulch. I wouldn't miss the Goosenecks of the San Juan overlook on the way. Or the Mule Canyon ruins east of Bridges NP...

Attachment 86400 Attachment 86407

Or the area west of Page, where the Wave and the Buckskin slot canyon are the main attractions.

Attachment 86404

Attachment 86403

Not to mention Horseshoe Canyon (a detatched part of Canyonlands) and Goblin Valley, or how about the San Rafael Swell on I-70 west of Green River? Wow! Should be a National Park, for sure. Sinbab is an area up on the Swell.

When we going?
Zep
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
so...any word on anything being put together?

AIR # 410
Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Not yet. My summer has been taken up by building a kayak and then getting in the water up in the Pudget Sound. But it is time to think about whether we can get a viable "moving rally" together.

I'm happy to apply my knowledge of the camping spots and photo areas if others can agree on a notional calendar.

Zep
Old 10-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Moving Rocks Rally

OK, you members suggest some alternate names...PM me with suggested names and dates so we don't clutter up the thread and I'll post them as one consolidated post. (Who dowe nominate to screw this up first? ) By 1 November, please.

Rule #1: Not very many rules.
Rule #2: This is primarily planned for boondockers.
Rule #3: Locations are picked for their photographic potential.
Rule #4: Have fun. Maybe this should be rule #1.
Rule #5: Pack in, pack out. Tread lightly.
Rule #6: Anasazi sites can only be shown to others, directions are never given out.
Rule #7: Ixnay on July and August. Even June can be pretty tough. Pick some other month.

I've thought about this and I think it will take 3 weekends. Whoever (whomever?) the Rally Master is would park at each location for 6 days, then move his or her stakes to the next camp. Attendees could come or go as their schedule permitted. My suggestions are the three locations on the map, all selected because they offer several attractions and two have an alternate commercial RV camp not too far away (like 40 miles).

If this rally is a go, I can provide maps and photos for all the attractions described below, and then some.

Name:	rocks rally labeled.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	88656

1. First location is near the BLM Paria river trail head. From here you can hike the Buckskin slot canyon, try to get a permit for North Coyote Buttes (where The Wave is located), or south Coyote Buttes. You can also take the 35 mile drive to Page and visit the Antelope Canyons (north and south). There are several commercial RV parks in Page.

2. Second location is Mulley Point Overlook, above the Goosenecks of the San Juan. It's about 4 miles down a dirt road. Valley of the Gods is just down the cliff and Grand Gulch is a few miles north. You can hike Comb Ridge and the anasazi ruins or go a few miles north to Bridges National Park. The town of Bluff is a charming location, with a terrific historical restaurant (Cow Canyon, with a library of geological and western history books) and a commercial RV park.

3. Third location is exit 129 off of I-70, Sinbad Country. This area should be a national park. Goblin Valley is about an hour away, and Horseshoe Canyon (rock art central) is a little further, with maybe 40 minutes of dirt road at the end. Many autos make the trip, so it's not bad. The Sinbad area pretty much defies description--rock art and red rocks abound. You can also get up to the San Rafael Canyon overlook, touted as a small Grand Canyon. Sago Canyon is a bit of a stretch (about 60 miles), but it would be convenient to visit by using highway 191 to get between the 2nd and 3rd week campsites, instead of 24.

As you can see by the circles on the map, there are many major attractions for attendees to visit on their way in or out.

OK, it's now up to you whether we do this as a group, or not. I'll alert the 4CU President to see if they are interested in owning this rally (durn, I guess I'll have to join...).

Zep