Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
PADAWAN in need of advice! :)

Went to look at pull alongs yesterday for the first time ever. After getting over the sticker shock of the Airstream, it is the best. The problem is the sizes....we will be sharing this with our parents, and we have a six year old very active red headed Boy. The husband is leaning towards the 23' international, but I think it may be too small....I like the 25', it just seems so much bigger, even though it is supposed to be the same width of the 23'. We have only rented a cabin 2 other times, so this is all really new! Thanks for any advice / suggestions. Campers are just sooo sweet and helpful Tracy
Happyjtpolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
We have a 25' front bed and always take our 10 year old twin grandsons with us when we camp. We originally had and still have a 17' Casita and thought the twins would no longer be interested in going with the old folks, but we were wrong, so the AS. Last summer we took them and their mother with us on a trip to Alaska and Dad flew to Anchorage to meet us. While three adults and two active 9 year olds can be trailer-filling at times, we found that most of the time when we were camped they were outside. We, too, are people that like to spend most of the time outside. When we were inside we played games, read to the boys and it did not seem too crowded. Seems to me it is all in how you approach it and the personality of those involved. We like the 25 for the extra space it gives us and it certainly seems adequate to us. Good luck with whatever you decide.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. Yes, Airstream is the best :-)

Sharing with your parents full time or trading off? If sharing all the time, I suggest a 27 is the MINIMUM length that would work. I say this as a guy whose wife and 70lb dog travel together in a 27' Airstream. Anything smaller and it would be miserable. (Well, not really :-).

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
To each their own: my observations are.
a) resale on AS vs (most) other brands is higher but initial price much higher (for a reason = quality + "cool" factor.)

23 vs. 25 (widths and height are the same) You get a lot more out of that extra 2 feet.
You can put 2 couples in either but you son will be on the floor or tent outside in a 23.
Toilet/shower is next to the bed on the 23 but more isolated on the 25.
Probably need a bigger tow vehicle for the 25....but Florida is pretty flat after all.

Suggest you start with a used one unless you can take the depreciation hit for an "off the lot" one.

Cabin vs. "pull along" vs. motor home: Cabins are stationary, "P.A.'s" go any where. Motor homes suit some folks better due to handling in tight spots but unless you tow a little car you gotta take the whole "rig" to the grocery store.

Good luck
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Five people in a 23 or 25 footer is not a good plan. I think you should go bigger or buy a SOB. Just my 2 cents.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
No, trading off for the most part, but once in a while maybe all 5 of us???
Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
Wow! Thank you guys for the quick response, as he is only holding our deposit for a few days, and keeping the " great deal price " hahaha. Speaking of price , a 2014 23 footer or 25 footer ? 57k for the 23, and the 25 is the last 2013 at 71k....list 82,8 and 73,200.... Getting jacked???? And BUY A SOB??????? N E V E R ... They showed a video of the two, scared the heck outta me seeing that SOB tip all around at 35 mph ....
Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The widths of the 23 and 25 are not the same ... 23-footers are 8' wide and 25-footers are 8' 5.5" wide. And FYI, the 16' Sports are 8' wide and the 22' Sports are 7' 3.25" wide.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
Oh, I ALMOST FORGOT OUR 50 lb MUTT.. ...that we let our then 5 yo son name Elephant btw......oh my
Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
Interesting. Does the 5.5" make a noticeable difference in towing? Safety is my number one concern. The thought of that thing behind us gives me anxiety as is....
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, as to your deal, many report here getting at least 15% off of MSRP on a new unit. I would think that a 2013 with a year of lot time on it should be more like 18 - 20%.

Just for grins, you might want to look at Colonial Airstream's website just to graze the prices.

Good luck,

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
[QUOTE= ...speaking of price , a 2014 23 footer or 25 footer ? 57k for the 23, and the 25 is the last 2013 at 71k....list 82,8 and 73,200...[/QUOTE]

not sure what dealer you are talking to but 2013's should be less than the 2014.

for instance - sutton rv in oregon recently had a 2014 25FB Flying Cloud at msrp of $74.4

check rvtrader for other deals or call the local florida dealers directly. there are also dealers nearby - foley in Miss. for example.

i'm not trying to talk you out of this one but it's best not to be rushed.
dealers should be willing to deal.

check out each size. as other have said, the 25' [or even the 27'] might better fit your needs.

we just recently went from a 22' to the 25' - makes a world of difference. we looked at several late-model used and new trailers and walked away from each until we found the model and price that suited us.

good luck!
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
IMO to much is made about depreciation. Yes it depreciates as soon as yu take it off the lot but if you plan on keeping it for many years it becomes moot.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have camped extensively (1,340 nights/120,000 miles) in a 2005 Safari 25FB. We now have a 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB that we got last November. They are NOT the same width. The 25's are the shortest of the wide bodies, and the 23's are the longest of the narrow bodies. there is about a 6" difference in width. This seemingly small difference is quite noticeable when towing the trailer. We downsized to accommodate our very active camping style.

Traveling with a six year old will definitely be a factor in your choice. The 25FB has a couch section that can accommodate a small child without having to make the bed up from the dinette. This would be an advantage as having to build and break down a bed every day is a pain. Also, the 25 has the larger two-door refrigerator/freezer which would be very beneficial when it come to supplying the copious amount of victuals required to sustain a growing boy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Don't be in a hurry to pay full asking price for a new trailer. As mentioned above, check Colonial Airstream and other dealers. Buying remotely may be worth the savings.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
We sold a 21 foot Avion and bought a 24 foot Argosy for more room. And it is just my wife, myself, and our 70lb Golden Doodle "Archie". I would go with a 27 footer if I was you. When our kids were little and still at home we started with a 27 footer and moved up to a 31 footer. We downsized after the kids left home and we bought the Avion.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Ok...I stand corrected on the width of the smaller than 25''s. Moosetags is probably your best source of information on this.
But I will stand by a good used one over an off the lot model if you (like I was) a first time buyer. I learned a lot and fortunately did not have to put more work into it as many I've read about have had to spend at the dealer getting warranty work done.
Towing is a non issue. You'll get used to it like all things new.
Enjoy the hunt
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
Hmmm, so that little amount makes a big difference in towing? That's a real concern of ours for an elderly father that will be towing it. Our sales guy in Dover, FL said that we wouldn't notice a difference really in the towing aspect. Now, I realize that he ha something to gain off the larger unit, this is why I am asking Here! Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Ms. Tracy!

Elderly father doing the driving? OK, Seventy is the new Fifty. "Elderly" - are you talking birthdays or ability? If the eyesight is keen (with glasses) and the reflexes are adequate, and the mind is sharp... then "senior" is more appropriate than elderly. A touch of Parkinson's, macular degeneration, diabetes poorly controlled... shouldn't be driving especially with a trailer attached. I am sort of assuming that you and husband will be splitting the towing with dad.

Dear Ms. Tracy I am a 65 year old single female full timer. I tell you this straight from the heart. No matter how able your dad is, if you have a valid driver's license - YOU should learn to tow the trailer IMMEDIATELY. I am not the only single female out on the road - every campground I pull into has three or four or a dozen. You'd never want to be in a position of having your dad cough, say "I have chest pains" and then as him to teach you to drive the combo to the nearest hospital.

At least once a year I expect to get the "Harold slipped on the apron of the pool and shattered his collar bone... could you possibly tow our trailer back to Richmond tomorrow. We'll pay your bus ticket back to Virginia Beach." That or some similar variation can happen in a split second, and if you don't have even half an idea how to hook up and safely tow the trailer home, you could be in for a huge financial cost if you have to contract with a towing company.

You can tow it.

Paula
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
I am pushing the big 40!!!! And yes, senior would have been more appropriate for sure. I will def. learn all the ins and outs of the trailer for sure, I don't like to be unprepared. Thanks a bunch anymore info is greatly appreciated!