Old 11-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Packing Up

I need some advice (be nice).

I am trying to figure out the best packing spots for gear and while I have done this before, I want to ask the expert packers on here for some ideas. I am sure this will help others too.

First, in my cargo- I have a 4 door 1/2 ton and a 5.5' bed and a trailer with a nice inside open space in the front- no dinette.

The unique cargo that I carry is:

Vespa 300 scooter- has to go diagonal in the truck bed

Regular cargo:

tools, generator- locked into the truck bed on one side

trailer equipment bin- legos, latches, hitch stuff, etc. on other side of scooter in bed

tools- usually behind driver's seat
bike- sometimes item depending on scooter or not
outdoor grill- often have to leave home

The trailer stuff I put away in the trunks. Any ideas for stowage? I was thinking about one of those swinging tool boxes but I have to be careful as I have the scooter diagonal issue that eats quite a bit of room. The bin I have is half full and it is big plastic covered bin I use with a locking lid. My generator has a cover so, as you can tell, I have to travel with the bed exposed.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I guess my first question is what is the purpose of the Vespa. You have the tow vehicle to take day trips from the campsite.

I have a plastic bin to hold mainly two sets of Lynx blocks a sewer hose slinky support. I'm thinking about getting two Anderson leveling blocks. I could probably move a set of Lynx blocks into my trailer side compartment storage and eliminate the bin in the truck.

Can you move anything into the rear seat area or do you need to keep that area for passengers. You could mount the bike on a rack on the roof top.

Do you have any photos showing your bed loaded up currently?

Kelvin

Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
How about putting your scooter on the front of your truck? Install a hitch receiver (curt?) (very easy), buy a VersaHaul carrier (with removable ramp). You'll have more room in the truck bed and it's very easy to load/unload from the front of the truck since it's closer to the ground. It DOES NOT restrict my front airflow to the engine or obstruct my headlights.
I'd post a picture but am having trouble on this site....
Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Seeing the sights is soooo much better on a scooter (or motorcycle ) than closed up in a TV. Personal preference.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
How about putting your scooter on the front of your truck? Install a hitch receiver (curt?) (very easy), buy a VersaHaul carrier (with removable ramp).
The Vespa 300 weighs about 325lbs and then add the weight of the hitch receiver and carrier. The poster has a 2015 F150.

Kelvin
Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Here is my opinion. The fundamentals apply to both home design/remodeling and to AS travel.

(for purposes of discussion, I am not considering weight of items. Be sure to adjust if any of this would mess up the load characteristics needed for safety.)

1) Determine how frequently things are used, and store them based on that to the degree possible.

Give high priority of convenient space to high frequency use items. Store less frequently needed items in less accessible storage.

(You would be surprised at how common it is to just put big stuff in easy spots, and then have to stash smaller (but more often used) items in out of the way places.)

I have what I think of as my set up kit. Includes the power cord, hoses, chocks, legos. These need to be easy to get to and store. Probably in you AS hatches, or easy to get to in the bed of the truck in a bin, or in a bin right inside the door of the trailer. Figure out the couple of tools you use every time for set up and teardown (level, socket for water heater, flashlight, gloves, stabilizer tool and also keep these with the Set Up Kit.) Give the highest priority and most organization to the things you will use a lot.

2) Store things that are used infrequently in the least accessible storage that makes sense. Consider keeping other tools deep under the bed, under the dinette, or in other less convenient locations. Extra paper towels go way under the bed.

3) Store things close to where they are used if possible. Things that never come inside the trailer for use (bikes, BBQ grilles) don't need to be stored inside the trailer. Things always used in the trailer (bedding, clothes for the next 24 hours, toiletries,) should be in the trailer. This is to avoid having to do a bunch of swapping around from travel --to set up-- back to travel.

We bought a 22 in part because I realized we would not be able to keep towels and toiletries in the bathroom of the 16 and use the bathroom, and there was not enough room to store food in the kitchen of the 16 and use the kitchen for us.

4) In cases where you will need to do swapping around, find task specific containers that easily fit in both locations and are easy for 1 person to move. You might want a covered plastic bin or a duffle bag that would hold helmets, bike pump, etc,. Sure you may find you need to keep this in the trailer when traveling due to space, but make it easy to grab and stash in the truck when you get somewhere.

5) When possible, have dedicated items just for AS use. Buy a second dog leash, or set of bag chairs, that are just for AS use. Keep this AS equipment all in 1 place at home in your garage, basement, or in the AS depending on your storage availability.

Also see this post for how I did my set up kit in the small (only have 1) front locker of my 22
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...er-141305.html

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Piggy Bank has some good ideas— the one about "store the outdoor things outside the trailer" is especially my watchword given the limited storage inside my Interstate— but I would add one more thing.

Store the heavy stuff low, and the lighter stuff high. That is safer because if something falls out of an overhead locker after you've spent a day on the road you want it to be something that won't hurt when it smacks you in the head. But also it helps the stability of the trailer when it's in motion by lowering the center of gravity as much as possible. And it's easier on the body because you don't have to lift the heavy stuff overhead to put it away.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Many good tips and ideas.
Quote:
what is the purpose of the Vespa. You have the tow vehicle to take day trips from the campsite.
You are correct and, sometimes I do not take it for that reason. I will tell you though that zooming around St. Augustine on the Vespa is great.

From what I am reading I am probably doing pretty good a job now. The idea of front loading is a thought. I would have to "weigh out" that one. Piggy Bank's idea of a setup kit is pretty much what my truck bed bin is- hitch pins, lego levelers, etc. I use them every time I camp.

My friend told me to put the bike in the trailer but he does not have a camper. I have considered that but not done it yet. Right now, I store the solar suitcase, the screen room, two chairs and the outdoor tables inside and pull them out when setting up camp. If I do not use them, I throw them in the truck or in the bed. One other piece of equipment that I have taken a few times is the humungous Dometic ice machine that I got free with the purchase of the fridge. It is nice but heavy and big. It was great the times I met others and we had a big cookout but just for me it is in the way for sure. I really need to come up with a space to put things in my garage and select items on a trip by trip basis. The problem is that the garage is stuffed.