Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Carry a Gun, Mister~~
Own and carry a gun while traveling 55 56.70%
Do not carry a gun 22 22.68%
Thinking about carrying a gun 9 9.28%
No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 05:59 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Pick,

That sounds right because it says that it can shoot up to 30' for 5 seconds. Oil being heavier than water, it would hold together for a longer distance.

It also says avoid spraying into the wind. So here you are face to face with an attacking bear and you have to say, "excess me Mr Bear, put could you please move down wind !"

I bet if you splashed some of your hot sauce in someones face, they'd haul butt out of your way!!

John

p.s. do you make your own sauce or do sell them?
Old 02-12-2003, 10:32 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Smile Pepper spray

You all have posted really good thoughts on pepper spray. It does have limitations. I can tell you first hand that only the oil based spray is reliable. Pick gave a good explanation why that is so. The last few years of my career I worked at Denver International Airport and we were told to never use pepper spray on board an aircraft. To do so would throughly contaminate the venvilation system and effectively ground the aircraft for a long period of decontamination. Granted Airstreams don't fly, but the effect would be similar. So, John is right. Using pepper spray in the confine of a trailer would be incapacitating to the user as well. This is most especially true if you wear contact lens. The stuff gets trapped behind the lens and produces unadulterated torment.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:20 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
John-music..

Hi John...
You mean U don't still sing along whilst drivin...I DO, but sometimes I 4get I are carryin my D/Ds, an start to sing my OWN words 2the songs...Oooops !!!!!....However I understand where U comin from, the trail is the one I mentioned in my last post, well MEANT to, but could'nt SPELL it, I can't even SAY it...I kn it's a L O N G hike, I would love 2 do that one day...that's where Bill Bryson went walk abt, and speaks of the BEARS...He says the first thing HE would do if a BEAR came into his tent was to....and he would'nt even have time to take his trousers DOWN, now...as for getting 2 Yr firearm...I think if U were lucky U may stand a chance...But I agree with U, as the LAST hope of protection...shoot it...that is with a SONG...U never kn, U could even end up with Yr own slot on TV..." John and his AMAZING dancing bear..." In the interest of saving the wild life...some things are best left alone...
Hope U all have a good day 2day...Chris.....
Old 02-15-2003, 01:38 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Agree~!

Enjoyed reading all the comments.~

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 02-17-2003, 12:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Bruce,
Think what you want to think! It is a free country; however, my discussions were with an FFL dealer and custom gunsmith who had direct dealings with a police department. While I did not ask for copies of incident reports regarding the discharges, as a firearms instructor with a state agency who has contacts with other sheriff and P.D. instructors, discharges with the Glock are not rare because people do not always think. This is why the gunsmith developed the manual safety and it was adopted by several agencies according to him.

I've attended gun shows for more than 25 years and last Saturday was the first I have ever heard of a firearm discharging where they check the weapons upon entering. Everyone in the exhibit hall heard the shot. Upon entering, you draw the action/slide back and show that your weapon is not loaded and there is no magazine in the weapon (loaded or unloaded). A guy comes in, ejects the magazine and pulls the trigger while pointing the weapon toward the ground. The Glock 9 mm discharged into the tile floor. Granted, it could have been any type of weapon but the point here is that the guy was either inexperienced or had a momentary lapse of judgement. Fortunately no one was hurt and after they wrestled the weapon from his grasp, he was thrown out of the gunshow. If you wish to verify the incident, look up Bob Pope Gun Shows.com

The discharge of the Smyrna Police Officer's Glock occurred in front of one of the TN. prison system facilities. We only have the officer's story of how the weapon fell from his hand upon extraction from the gun box but the marks on the back of the slide tell the story. Would this have happened from a Glock straight from the box? Probably not but someone had installed the 3.5 lb. competition trigger and must not have done something right. The weapon was confiscated by Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, examined and then sent to Glock for additional examination. End result, Glock was off the hook because the competition trigger had been placed on a street duty weapon when instructions which come with this part do not recommend it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 02-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Sig 232

By the way Bruce, your SIG 232 is a fine weapon as was the 230 it replaced. The .380 with CorBon ammo can be a stopper and SIG has a fine reputation.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-20-2003, 11:06 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Interesting

Highways's latest issue, March,2003, has an article that deals with this very important subject. Thanks guys, for being on the forefront of the info line by sharing your experiences`!~
The lead story starts on page 16 thru 20, under RV INSIGHT by Joe & Vicki Kieva..
ciao
Just to clear something up..
This is the official publication of Good Sam Club
Thanks smallfry, for bring that to my attention.
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 02-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
One last comment

Pepper Foam has shown to cause less cross contamination in enclosed as well as ventilated areas. It is like what happens when you get to the end of your shaving cream but there is more force behind the cream. It lands with a audible splatt and since it is oil based, it sticks to you. The drawback is that the range is less than stream, 8 ft. max as compared to 12 ft. with liquid stream, and individuals have been know to wipe it off and throw it back at you. Our department uses liquid stream instead of cone mist (8 ft. max distance) due to the increased distance and not wanting the pepper flakes left in the air after the carrier disapates to reach ventilation fan ducts where it can be carried through the building. Downside to stream is that you have to be more accurate and that is why each officer sprays inert agent each year during inservice. You have to pick the product that works best for your environment. Cone mist inside the trailer would not be my choice.

Lastly, I don't advocate everyone carrying a gun. I am not anti-gun by any stretch of the imagination. I was born in TX. and learned to hunt before I was a teenager. If you chose to carry one, get training and continue to train. I don't carry a sidearm everywhere I go but am licensed to do so. When I have to go through or into areas I feel that added protection could come in handy, my sidearm is with me. I sure don't go looking for trouble and if there is any way of avoiding it through any other method then I will choose that rather than a gun. There are some antisocial people in this world, who by their nature do not learn from their previous mistakes and who have no regard for someone elses life. This type of person is bent on making you a casualty because he feels that he can get away with it (and probably has). This is a worse case scenario and that is how many of us have been trained. A can of mace, a baseball bat, a growling dog, an ASP baton (with certification) may be just the deterrant you are looking for. For the worst of these bad guys, they are no deterrant at all. These are the guys I worry about so my feelings are "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-06-2003, 11:15 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Update item

Take lesson from disarming of...

I know this is slightly out of 'A/S' context but,...interesting thread to tie into the main subject.
web addy:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opi...m24feb24.story
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-07-2003, 06:58 AM   #70
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice article.

Not to get all soap box like, but.....

In the U.S., it's a constitutional right to have one. I know why it was included in the constitution and frankly times have changed from when that document was written.

However, I am a big believer that a person has the right to choose their own way (within reason, that's why juroys are of our peers and not law enforcement officers or government employees). To that end, they can pry my .50cal Desert Eagle from my cold dead hand if they want it take it away just to take it away.

I would agree, that if I acted irresponsibly or have a background that suggests I ought not to have it, I might grump about it, but for most law abiding citizens, there should be no reason they should not be allowed to have a gun. The criminals have them and will regardless of what is done.

Having visited Austin, Texas a few years ago from the somewhat conservitive midwest, it took some time getting comfortable seeing the Texans packing heat in normal everyday life as they walked down the street. I would be really interested in seeing/hearing how it has effected crime.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those NRA folks that stands on top of the mountain top at the top of my lungs, nor am I an extremeist. I'm just an average Joe that works hard, and abides by all laws, except for Speed Limit and seat belt laws. Although in Wisconsin, I am almost temped to start....a 16MPH over the 65mph limit (not pulling a trailer) is about $267.00. OUCH!

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-08-2003, 06:38 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Last ticket

The last ticket I received: 4 yrs ago.
Was going thru an intersection.(red light in Bedford, NH. 78$)
Driving behind a semi truck, who went thru the light as it changed and, my vision was blocked because of the height of the trailer.
As such, I went thru it red, I didn't see it turn red.
No excuse.
BTW, the truck was stopped as well.
ciao.
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-11-2003, 03:57 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Results

Own and carry a gun while traveling, 23.. 52.27%

These numbers are not even close enough to be called skewed~

If it were only possible to re-open the poll??

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-11-2003, 07:26 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
When you started the poll, it was set to auto "time out" 7 days after 1/29/03. Did you want it to run longer?

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 05-11-2003, 07:34 AM   #74
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I wouldn't mind seeing it run a bit longer, however, I am not sure the numbers are exactly skewed. They represent the people on this forum and not the general camping public. Also, it's not a scientific poll. I know most if not all of us are resposible posters and don't post BS and outright lies, however, every forum has it's trolls, this one is no different and who knows how the 1 or 2 posters vote.

At any rate, my whole point is that it's not really scientific and if the vote were to come back, I'm not sure we'd get any further conclusive data that I could bet the farm on.

Just my .02

Eric
Old 05-11-2003, 07:34 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It would be...

BobbyW

The results are such that, Yes...plse
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Packing heat

I am a little surprised that this thread has gone on for so long & is still active. No doubt about it, guns are a hot button subject. And of course none of these polls are "scientifically valid" but they are extremely germane to our little group. How our AS owners/forum participators correlate to all RVers and from thence to all US citizens is anybody's guess but one would be fairly accurate to advise the bad guys to stay away from those shiney silver trailers when choosing their next prey.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:45 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I haven't seen this subject come up lately so I figured it had run it's course. The 55 % figure for carrying a gun does not surprise me and as more people go through concealed carry classes and receive their permits to legally carry a handgun then the figure might rise. The House and Senate are now looking at a national reciprocity whereby States will honor all other States permits to carry rather than the current written agreements between selected states with similar criteria. Some States I would never visit in with/without an RV or with/without a weapon solely due to their oppressive gun laws.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #78
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
For those who think no one should carry a gun obviously have never exp crime, assault, or may be a passivist.

I don't worry about people having guns. I look at Texas and wonder how they can pack heat on the street like we wear our shoes. I doubt seriously that folks that pack the heat there have as many problems as those who don't.

At any rate, if you are not breaking the law, you should have little to worry about.

I will say though that if the folks on the this forum frequent the A/S found at campgrounds, then they/we would not be ones to mess with....

Being one that vists many rustic campgrounds in the middle of nowhere, the government, as Chuck Heston says, can pry my arms "out of my cold dead hand." It's in the constitution and until otherwise re-written, I say pack away! For those that say the constitution was written for a different time, you might as well just rip up the whole document since if anything, it makes more sense to carry a gun now more than ever due to all the crime. The jails are full of offenders. Some rightly placed, perhaps some not.

Nice to see the heat packing folks are still at 50+%.

Regards,

Eric
Old 05-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation still packin'

Just remember, it is illegal to carry a concealed handgun over state lines, I learned the hard way, and I had a permit for concealed weapons in my state. Just a thought for those of you still leary check out www.aimtoprotect.com or org. I forget. You don't need a firearm if you already have fealony charges and what not.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:40 PM   #80
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good point. Absolutly true.

Eric
Closed Thread