Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #323
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Hmm.... getting a permit to exercise a constitutional right, interesting.
I know, disgusting. But I will take what I can get. Remember, before Florida became the first "shall issue" state and today most states following suit, the rabble like us couldn't legally carry concealed.

My question is other states have to recognize my driver's license, my marrage, and a host of other things, why don't they have to recongize my concealed carry permit? Doesn't the U.S. Constitution have a "full faith and credit" clause?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #324
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing-Bing
My son is a cop and he said to carry a gun because he can't protect us. Al he can do is write a report and investagate...
Not to belittle the police, but just remember the old saying "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away". (actually, when camping in remote areas, "just hours away").

We need to take responsibility for our own safety.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #325
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fallon , Nevada
Since getting my permit i do carry all the time except in places that have metal detectors. My preferred weopon for everyday is a 25 auto or a 380 bersa. If i cannt put all the shots center mass at 7 yards then i dont need to carry. For on the road i carry a 357 loaded with wad cutters. I also have shot shells for the 357. Good for snakes of both kinds. Same again if i cannt put them center mass i donnt need to carry it. Carry what you can shoot accurately in a highly charged situtation. Practice shooting off hand, your not always going to be able to take a target stance. If your local gun club has a "combat course" go through it. I was lucky enough growing up to have been around weapons and people who knew how to use them in different situations. My father and uncle were cops and one of my first lessons was from an FBI agent at 8 years old. It was learn how to hit what you shoot at and dont shoot what you cannt hit with. I spent many hours and a whole lot of ammo learning that. Red (the FBI agent) was one of the first ones to also tell me learn how to use myself as a weapon when all else fails. Hence hand to hand combat. Remember dont pull it unless you need it and if you do pull it do it right
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #326
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
When Minnesota, (land of 10,000 taxes), was considering the CCL, the Liberal press proclaimed that there would be "Shootouts at the Dome between sports fans". Hasn't happened yet. In fact, crime has decreased, but now the politicians claim it is because of their "crime prevention policies".

The reality is criminals and creeps need to think twice now before trying to assult or rob someone. No one knows who is armed or not.

The press is just waiting for an incident to prove their prediction of a tragic consequence, but it just hasn't happened. There have been many incidents that have shown the positive effects, but they will never report that. After all, we are the "great unwashed", and they are the "enlightened ones"!

I and my wife are both college graduates and I will gladly tell anyone that some really stupid people graduate college as well as brilliant ones. I am also amazed at the seeming stupidity of a lot of our college professors. I guess it goes back to the old adage. "If you can, do. If you can't, teach!"

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #327
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Ever used your gun for security while Airstreaming?

With all the talk about packing a gun, thought it would be interesting to see how often they were actually used for security reasons. If you did use it, please elaborate.

Thanks

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #328
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Actually I have although it didn't seem too threatening at the time. Two youths approached me and with a leer and displaying an old revolver said "We've got a gun!" I got mine out and replied that I did too and they hurridly left. I guess that they didn't mean just to show it to me cause they were proud of it, but it was over so fast that I never had time to feel any threat. In retrospect I guess they wanted to intimidate me and then perhaps ask for my money. Your guess is as good as mine.

It is my fervent hope to never have to use a gun again. I am a VN Veteran and have personally seen the carnage they cause and cannot begin to describe the feelings of revulsion and sadness that go with it. Still, I have a will to live and to protect my wife and family, and I shall. I cannot begin to empathize with people who are threatened and have no recourse. I never want to be in that position.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #329
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
...just happy to see you!

Couldn't resist,
Bill
Old 10-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #330
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We were 'North of the Border' for two weeks recently and were disappointed but not too suprised reading of, for example, the handgun-free multiple murders on Vancouver Island. Gee, did they think banning handguns was stopping murders? Obviously the determined perp will make his point with or without a handgun.

We support preparedness, and hope this becomes a universally recognized privilege in the States. Keep the perps guessing who is armed . . .

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #331
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Excuse me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I am also amazed at the seeming stupidity of a lot of our college professors. I guess it goes back to the old adage. "If you can, do. If you can't, teach!"

Being a full professor and chairman of a program, it's always a bit amusing being told how anti second amendment/stupid/misguided professors are.

Fully 2/3 of my faculty (artists and designers) own and carry - off campus of course. Most of those, if allowed, would carry concealed in the classroom. You never hear about the general rank and file.

Every one of my faculty is a master in their field and can do their work well enough to not only teach, but to win international awards for what they do. Whoever authored that old adage probably could do neither, and certainly was not an Airstreamer!

--------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #332
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear

Fully 2/3 of my faculty (artists and designers) own and carry - off campus of course. Most of those, if allowed, would carry concealed in the classroom. You never hear about the general rank and file.

Every one of my faculty is a master in their field and can do their work well enough to not only teach, but to win international awards for what they do. Whoever authored that old adage probably could do neither, and certainly was not an Airstreamer!
Could have worded that better I guess. My son-in-law is PHD at the University here and I sure hear some weird things coming out of there. I am encouraged by your comments and would hope that more educators are so enlightened. We have some pretty liberal colleges here in Minnesoooota!

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #333
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
With all the talk about packing a gun, thought it would be interesting to see how often they were actually used for security reasons. If you did use it, please elaborate.

Thanks
Most people who carry do not do so with the hope that they ever get to use it. Just the opposite, they pray they will never have to. Of all of those who do carry, somewhere down the line one of us will use his/her firearm to save a life, either their own or someone else's. That's the whole point of carrying. To be prepared, but hoping nothing adverse happens. Once things start going south is a little late to decide that being armed would have been a better choice

My wife and I were in Minnesota leaving the Mall of America at closing time and as we got out of the parking garage elevator we noticed two seedy looking gangbangers checking out our pickup and the generator, grill, and bicycles in the back (all secured with a heavy cable). When they saw us coming toward the truck they scrambled into a POS car with a wheel man waiting and zoomed away. Every thing was intact and all persons went about their business, their's of thieving and ours of enjoying our travels. My hand on the KelTec 32 in my pocket while I was walking toward them definitely lessened my apprehension and allowed me to accurately assess the situation and make rational decisions rather than going into the panic induced "Oh Sh!t" mode.

For those who choose not to carry, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I am also not going to lose any sleep over worrying what I would do if the need should arise for me to protect myself and my wife. That's already been decided. To each his own.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #334
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
I know, disgusting. But I will take what I can get. Remember, before Florida became the first "shall issue" state and today most states following suit, the rabble like us couldn't legally carry concealed.

My question is other states have to recognize my driver's license, my marrage, and a host of other things, why don't they have to recongize my concealed carry permit? Doesn't the U.S. Constitution have a "full faith and credit" clause?
Actually, Georgia had "shall issue" permits before Florida, but Florida got all the publicity and credit.

Neal
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #335
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I have a CCP and I do carry so that in the unlikely event that someone poses a threat to my family I can do my best to protect them and not lose any of them. Plus I'm a strong supporter of the constitution and believe that it is an inalienable right. When you start letting the government take rights away you begin an out of control slide down a very slippery path. For those that think it's okay for the government to take away our second amendment rights I wonder what you would say if it was the first ammendement they were taking away or any other that you do agree with.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #336
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000

The way I look at it, getting a CCP is just about the same as gun registration. NOW "THEY" ("they" being the Goverment)know you most likely have a gun and know where to come to get it when "they" start to take them away.
Does not Vermont have CC with OUT a permit? That is the right way.
LOVE my Benelli 12GA M1 tactical shotgun. But a bit hard to CC.
The Second Amendment---America's original homeland security.

Closed Thread