Thinking about carrying a gun 9 9.28%
No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #309
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Good thing he didn't try this in Mexico. He probably would still be in prison and would have lost his MH.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #310
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fallon , Nevada
Carrying

Interesting reading. If you want to combine bothe the pistol and a shotgun I suggest you get a Taurus Judge which will shoot either a 410 shotgun shell or a 45 caliber cartridge. I do have a carry permit from two states which is valid in 31 different states. The reason that i finally got my permit is that when leaving a friends resteraunt on afternoon, I walked into a domestic dispute between a male and a female in the parking lot (they were not customers), My wife was with me, also the owner of the resteraunt a friend. The two individuals ended up chasing each other with a knife. Long story. They involved my friend by using him as a shield. All the protection i had was me and no brains. I ended up with the knife and called the cops. When the police finally arrived and found and arrested the suspects it came to light that the male was an escaped felon. I realized then that in this day and age that protection is what you have and can do. I dont believe everybody should carry. there are some pretty big idiots out there, and not all people that carry can do what it takes when the time comes to pull the trigger. Remember that it is not easy to take someone elses life. Also remember that if you have to: dont hesitiate. Once the weapon is pulled if you dont stop the assailant then it can be used on you. The other thing i recommend is that you take some kind of self defense course that can possibly be used to give you the time to get your weapon. A locked box is not that easy to open when your in a hurry.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #311
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Packing a gun Mister

Like I said before, the most popular weapons and ammunition mentioned here are enough to shoot the intruder comming through the front door of your airstream, the people in the next airstream and probally the next two on the other side of that one.
We need to temper our testosterone with what we really want to accomplish here.
In an attempt not to take out several trailers with just one shot, The judge would be a good choice when loaded with #6 shot or lighter. That will not penetrate either the outer aluminum skin or the inner skin.
Another excellent choice would be the High Performance/Safety projectiles on the market today (no not the Golden Sabers or Hydrashocks).
Its my understanding that the Mag Safe was developed for the original Sky Marshalls so that when they have to shoot, the projectile will not penetrate the outer skin of the aircraft if the target was missed, however, they are deadly on soft tissue.
Articles I saw a few years ago said that the .380 Magsafe would cause the same soft tissue shock trauma that a .357 Magnum hollow point would.
Glassier, if they are still on the market is another such projectile.
I know personally that a Mag Safe will not penetrate a Norfolk VA Phone book but will blow out the whole back of a watermellon and not damage a second watermellon a few feet beyond it (but in the line of fire).
Articles published and mentioned by the NRA stated that its not the caliber of the pistol but that you have one. This I have experienced.
As I stated before, I have a valid CWP and have had for over 30 years, and as a result of that I was able to obtain a non-resident permit from FLA good in 28 states.
Beginner
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #312
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDyann
I realized then that in this day and age that protection is what you have and can do. The other thing i recommend is that you take some kind of self defense course that can possibly be used to give you the time to get your weapon. A locked box is not that easy to open when your in a hurry.
interesting thread for sure. i just spent the last hour and half reading the entire thing.

i grew up in a household with guns. my dad had probably 25 rifles of various sorts, always locked in a gun cabinet. they were specifically for deer hunting and he was a very safe & careful hunter. i remember going hunting with him a few times but i never really took to it. by the time i was a teenager, he was too old to hunt.

with that said, i've never been that interested in guns or opposed to them for that matter. i've never given self protection much thought before. i've always had a more passive attitude of whatever happens, happens, or only good will happen to me because i'm a good person.

now that i have a family and a fourteen month old, it does change things and the thought of anything happening to either one of them is terrible. i am the one they look to for protection.

i think at the very least, i owe it to myself and family to take a basic handgun training class and home personal protection class. then i'll be in better position to decide for myself if i would want to have a gun at home or while camping.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #313
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Wink Mr. Tin Hut,

Anyone that write as beutyfuly as you for the AS magazineschould refraine from isunuating that all he needs is his wife for protection of ones body. I hope she can sream. I think you may be sharing quarters with the dog again.
I also take my wife with but for other reasons.
My favorate is 12 gage single shot with double ought buck short barell. Close range can not miss and to the intruder it looks like a 75mm cannon.
Give my regards to the dog and I hope he will move ower for you.
Russell
Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #314
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Double OO Buck is almost as lethal as a 9mm. It will easily punch through car doors. The fact is that if you discharge a weapon it will probably damage something you didn't intend to unless you are very careful. For close range I would use number 5 or 6 shot.

I recently upgraded from my Taurus Millinium 9mm to a Taurus PT940 in .40 Cal. Holds 10 rounds and I have a spare clip. I like the pistol very much and would reccomend it to anyone. Have also fired their 1911 in .45 and like it as well. Just doesn't hold as many rounds.

The PT940 has a stainless barrel assembly and aluminum frame. Saves weight and reisists corrosian too. It seems to be well made.

The bottom line is that if you have to fire there will probably be ramifications. Just be careful about what is behind the target and remember, "Better to ask forgiveness of the law than be dead and asking it of God!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #315
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Quote:
and as a result of that I was able to obtain a non-resident permit from FLA good in 28 states.
Hi Beginner,
Please be careful, it is my understanding (while researching the FL non resident permit) that the other reciprocal states that recognize the FL permit only do so if you are a FL. resident. A non resident FL permit is only valid in FL. If you find that is not the case, please let me know and I will get a FL. permit to go along with my cureent PA permit.
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #316
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Hmm.... getting a permit to exercise a constitutional right, interesting.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #317
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Wink Hi All Gun Toters,

Did you see the lastes pistol. It is calle the Judge. It has 3 20 gage shells and 2 357. I gues the 357 is to fish the jub so there are no witneses.
Russell of to Canada to be reninded why am in Az.:ange l:
Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #318
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
When my wife and I travel we carry two Taurus .38's, two Colt Mustang .380's, a CZ-75 with three 15 round mags. and my Conan .357 auto. These are loaded with Federal Hydra-shocks and are distributed between our Excursion and the 34 ft. airstream. Maybe over kill or maybe we just like knowing we can put alot of lead in the air. We tend to go to out of the way and lonely places were we have seen snakes, cougars and suspicious two legged protoplasm. My son is a cop and he said to carry a gun because he can't protect us. Al he can do is write a report and investagate...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #319
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Our traveling companions are Marys' .357 Ladysmith, and my custom 3" 657 41mag. An unloaded gun is just a hammer. LJH
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #320
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Hmm.... getting a permit to exercise a constitutional right, interesting.
In the case of Louisiana the permit is to carry concealed. You have the right to own, carry openly and bear arms. You can have a concealed gun in your car as it is treated as your home. Carrying openly can bring on some unwanted problems, concealed is a lot less problematic.

I would suggest anyone planning on carrying a concealed weapon get more training than just the basic course need for the permit. I also suggest a lot of range time.

I would also suggest that if you feel you need to carry in and RV Park you need to hitch up and leave immediately. I do support your right to protect your property and self, just be sure to take every action possible to avoid having to use any type of lethal force.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #321
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
State Gun Law Web Sites

There used to be a site called "packing.org" but that site has not been up for a while.

Another very good site for state gun laws and reciprocity is: Handgunlaw.us
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #322
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Be Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I would also suggest that if you feel you need to carry in an RV Park you need to hitch up and leave immediately. I do support your right to protect your property and self, just be sure to take every action possible to avoid having to use any type of lethal force.
I agree your point that you shouldn't put yourself in a dangerous situation, but even in a nice, safe campsite, it only takes one scum-bag either driving into the campground or walking into your site to ruin your day.

About 25 years ago, I was tent camping in Tennessee in the mountains at a Forest Service campground (very nice, very safe) when about 9:00 pm (after dark), a car pulls up at the end of our campsite and 2 guys get out and come right into the campsite. No "hello, I need to ask directions" or anything. They just walked up and started to ask directions.

My Ruger Security 6 357 mag. was safely under the car seat (useless). Luckily, my twin brother had a 1911 45 auto stuck in a holster under his coat. They left on their own and we never did know if they just needed directions and were ignorant of campsite etiquite, or they were casing us out to rob us.

After that, I realized that I violated the Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared. I wasn't. I purchased a small, concealable pistol that I could carry all the time.

I now carry a Kel Tec P3AT. It is the lightest pocket pistol in 380 cal. It is small and light enough to actually carry all the time. Here is a review of it: Kel-Tec P3AT - The World’s Lightest .380 Auto Pistol

From the above article: Remember, the first rule of a gunfight is…. Have a gun.