No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #267
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Originally Posted by empresley
Today I served, for the first time, as a Grand Juror.
The point is; I have never considered a license to carry or worried about taking a weapon while traveling. That all changed today.
We reviewed approx. 40 cases and many involved weapons. This was just the first day! We will be listening to case presentations & voting to move forward with indictments for several days. I will probably become more paranoid as each day goes by.
Watching, reading, listening to national news does not give the average law-abiding citizen any idea how much crime and violence is going on in our communities everyday. It is obvious that my family has been living in a bubble.
I came home today with an over-whelming impression that there is a very large and dangerous culture out there and our family has been very fortunate. We are probably long over-due impacting this out-of-bounds segment of our society.
I guess we will be filling out lots of forms as we prepare to: be prepared.
I was on a Grand Jury for 6 months and acted as the chairman for it for 2 of those months. I now fear jury selection notices in January and June - that's when the Grand Jury is selected form the Petit Jury pool for a 6 month period. I know first hand what you are going through but there is nothing - I feel - more important than someone taking part in the legal system such as the way we do it here in the US. You should be commended for your part in the Grand Jury - Keep an open mind and listen to what happens to a society when the system breaks down as it does for alot of the people you will hear from. Stangely - the guy sittimg next to me the first 2 months was arrested and later convicted of child molestation. If a hard and cruel world out there - believe me when I say it's much better here in the US than it is in almost any place in the world with very few exceptions.

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #268
30' 1999 Excella
Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
see nothing, hear nothing...

Mostly there are "don't bother me with it I didn't see anything people" out there.
"All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing." Edmunde Burke

Hey, its the only way to be sure!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #269
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My wife spent 6 months on Grand Jury duty a few years ago. One case was an ax murder in the desert, found the body several years after the fact. The ones that were the hardest for her to handle were the child molestation cases. I only get regular jury duty. One case of B & E, guilty. One case of thieft of software, not guilty. And one never ending (3 month) civil case where a sub contractor was sueing a contractor who stiffed him, awarded him $250,000.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
Old 02-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #270
4 Rivet Member
1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Packing a gun, mister......

Yes, I carry a gun with me. The first reason is because of the big, nasty "kitties" we have around here. The second is, of course, protection of my self and family. I grew up with guns from the time I was three. A weapon is not a toy and should not be used unless you plan and have good reason to use it. I am happy to see that over 50% of Airstreamers carry, because I know I would be safe in such a group. I see that many have CWP and have undergone extensive training and practice.

The second amendment is not a right to bear arms given by the government, (it is not the government's to give or take) but is a protection by the government of our inherent right to bear arms.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #271
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I carry a BB gun. I wanted a shotgun but it would have made me over my GVWR.
Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #272
Rivet Master
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
our forefathers with their superior insight granted all Americans the right to keep and bear arms. we've tampered enough with the constitution! whether or not i want to own a gun is MY business alone! after the va tech campus shooting it makes me more certain than ever that if weapons would have been available to others, that one loose nut couldn't have killed 32 fine young people! either one of them or faculty would have taken him out, or he wouldn't have tried to commit such a heinous act in the first place. stop blaming this on the guns, they didn't fire themselves. as archie bunker once said, would you have felt better about it if he had pushed them out of windows? cars kill far more people than guns [X], maybe we should outlaw cars? sorry for unloading, it's just such a sore issue. i am sick and tired of everything being blamed on something or somebody else. why can't we just put the blame on it's rightful owner? we have become a society of blaming others or even objects instead of being able to accept any blame ourselves. the killer in va chained the doors of the buildings. what if he had set the buildings on fire? would we be ready to outlaw matches? okay, enough already! now for the record. i am NOT a gun person, but i do believe that any law-abiding citizen has the right to own and carry a gun until the time they break the law. then there is no second chance! enough of this rant! i hope and pray that all of you gun owners never lose the right to carry a gun for protection. we have lost far too many rights already!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #273
The Hawk's Lair
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I totally agree with you. I know the "Hate America Crowd" will rant and rave about our sick society, but don't believe it. This was one sick kid. He needed help that he didn't get.
There is no "I" in the word "team," but there are four in "Platitude Quoting Idiot!"

Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #274
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Amen to you both. I think at this point if we enforced gun control, only the good folks would lose their guns. The VT shooter gave clear signs of what he intended to do. But in this free country you can't go after someone for what they "may" do. A few weapons on campus in the hands of the mentally stable would have made the death toll a little less. I carry a gun, I know how to use it. I am alone most of the time, so I feel it is necessary. I don't live in fear; however, I feel if more criminals thought there might be a weapon available to the victim, maybe there wouldn't be as many victims.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #275
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
The more you read about the VT shooter the more you realize it is not the gun laws, which are the problem. The University knew that Cho Seung-hi was a problem. Out of class of 70 only 7 showed up to attend a class he was enrolled in because of his behavior. One Professor had a code word to use to have her assistant call for help if needed when he was present. It sounds as the policies and laws governing the campus are the problem.

Thanks Jim
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #276
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Well Said

Well said you guys. I cannot help wondering what the outcome would have been if just one of the victims had a CCL and had been carrying. Maybe the OK Corral but I doubt it. God Bless em all. As for me; like Charleton Heston once said, "Out of my cold, dead hands".
In dog years, I'm dead!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #277
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Listen, I was actually in a college class this morning. And there was a big "bang" that made us all jump at the beginning. And midway through class the teacher gave us a test and went to her office for something. When she came back she quickly passed out an AutoCad drawing & said, "Here, dimension this & help each other out with it. I have an emergency."

She came back eventually. Someone had put an anonymous letter in her mailbox that scared her enough that all hands on deck were told to track down the writer.

Being one room away from an exit, our classroom plan of action was to just get out of the building if necessary.

Sure beats having all 3,500 students at my college armed & ready to shoot.
I have absolutely no patience with people who oppose gun control.
Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #278
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Well said you guys. I cannot help wondering what the outcome would have been if just one of the victims had a CCL and had been carrying. Maybe the OK Corral but I doubt it. God Bless em all. As for me; like Charleton Heston once said, "Out of my cold, dead hands".
I have thought about that also. I have to assume it would of ended sooner but the person with the CCL would have been blamed for excessive force or miss handling the situation. I feel this way because no one would have known how horrendous the outcome would be become.

Thanks Jim
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #279
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Gun control is hitting what you aim at. Sorry I di-agree. Knee jerk reactions are not what is needed. The shooter was known to have problems. Un-fortunately as a society we are really only set up to do something once something bad has happened. A teacher tried to interviene but they cannot force someone to get help until they have done something illegal. As far as we know he had not. That system needs to be changed. Not removing guns from law abiding citizens. I won't give up mine.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #280
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Terrible Loss in W. Virginia

My condolences to the families of the victims.
This tragedy occured in a 'gun free' zone.
As the father of 3 teens how does one prepare the family for violence like this?
We talk about what happened.
Does anyone think this is going to happen again?
I am afraid that this is just the beginning.
God have mercy on us.

Closed Thread