Thinking about carrying a gun 9 9.28%
No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #211
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I have read and watched enough to know that the decision needs to be made ahead of time. Hesitating can kill you. If it is them or me I will shoot to kill and see the therapist later.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #212
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Calibers

I'm with Nuge on this one. A 9mm is better than a sharp stick, but that's about it. .38 special is about the same. You get up to a .45 acp, then you're starting to get somewhere. .44 mag is better than any of the aforementioned ones.

S&W X-frame in .460 S&W or .500 S&W magnums; Now you're talking! They only hold five, but you only need one. Besides, it's like my Thompson Center Encore .30-06 pistol with the scope on it. You'd never need to fire it anyway. Just seeing that beast strikes terror into mortal men

I've one handed .454 Cassul's. They are pussycats compared to the Encore. That thing is a real animal. It's a rush to fire though.

Shooting is great fun. Why waste a perfectly good shooting range to build a golf course??!!
I

Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #213
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So I guess a .50AE would be getting somewhere too....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
You guys really need to rethink the "discharging of a firearm in an airstream" thing - I liken it to somebody with a metal garbage can over their head and beating it with a hammer. That's gotta hurt.

If you are in the trailer than any old blunt object will do - hammer, frying pan, table leg, etc - just wack them over the head as they try to crawl through the window. If you are not there then a firearm left unprotected is a danger to you and everybody else.

Don't get me wrong - I am there with you to protect life and limb - and if it comes to it my .45 will do all the talking for me. I just would rather hear them wimper for a while with a few good wacks from Mr Louisville Slugger.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #215
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
What the heck just put out a few claymores around the perimeter, that way you won't have to clean up the mess inside the trailer.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 01-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #216
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Sounds good Silvertwinkie. I take it you've got a Desert Eagle. Only bad thing about the .50's is feeding them. You don't buy that ammo cheap.

I myself have been toying with the idea of getting one of those X-frame Smith and Wessons as a hunting gun. The .500 iis the power champ, but hte .50 caliber bullets are pretty spendy. I hand load, so that softens the blow a little, but they're still expensive. The .460, while not quite as powerful, is still very potent. And it uses convential .45 diameter bullets so you can load them cheap. You can shoot .45 long colts, .454 Cassuls, and the .460 mags out of it.

Clancyboy has a very good point. What's more, I'd bet $100 that a .22 would go through an Airstream, much less any of these other cannons. Really, you have to be careful. I've been shooting since I was four. It's a very rewarding passtime. You have to exercise common sense and safety though.

It'd be a pretty hard up criminal to break into a travel trailer with the owner inside it. Really, they'd be a lot smarter to watch your house. Then when they see the Airstream leave, it'd be open season for the hacienda.

That's why you leave the bag of rattlesnakes on your kithcen table at the house
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #217
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think you said the magic words...common sense is king.

One other thing that rings true is the .50ae ammo has gone up through the roof. I use to be able to get a box of 20 for $16.00.

The one thing I can do, is buy the .44 barrel and mag, which would reduce my overall cost in the long run if I shoot at the range regularly. If I went to the .357, I'd have to change the firing pin......doing the .44 lowers the cost, and is a quick field swap....though the .44 barrel and clip do have a bit of a cost to them.

One thing is for sure though, I got real use to the mule kick of the .50. I got some great groupings with that monster. It'll take me some time to get as good with the .44 having overcompensated all these years with the .50 kickback.

It's odd...I hate golf....trying to get that darn ball in a hole many yards away drives me nuts, but getting a good grouping at the range is very relaxing and rewarding.

As for discharging it in an Airstream....I think the shockwave would blow out all my windows...let alone not being able to hear for weeks! Even if I missed, I'm liable to give the intruder a heart attack.....or break his leg as the shockwave taps him off balance.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #218
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
What about putting a dead bolt lock into the door? Get a nice silver colored one. It'd be easy enough to rig up. I was thinking about a new house type knob for mine anyway. My pull type handle doesn't seem to want to lay flat when it relaxes. I've seen photos of some old airstreams that had door knobs that look like they came right off a house. If you were changing out to that, I'd think it'd be no biggie to add a dead bolt and cut a place in the door way frame to allow the bolt to engage.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #219
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
45-70 Bfr

thats my new toy from Magnum Research (also makers of the desert eagle) they say BFR stands for "biggest "finest" revolver"... single action..5 shot...but it only takes one with the monster...if I miss there V-16 long slide 45super. My thompson can go 375rem...or 410

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jeeze, this is starting to sound like my gun is bigger than your gun! OK guys, I hear you, you want to make sure what you have works like a charm. I just wanted to mention that the heavier calibers, especially magnums do not get that second shot off as fast as some of the smaller calibers and you have to be mindful of where that bullet goes after passing through the perp (if it does) or worse, misses him, goes out the end of your trailer and into someone elses. Obviously bullet construction (hollow points of various types, Glaser Safety Slug) helps with most calibers. Yes, noise can be a problem with those magnums but you probably won't notice with your stress level up.

My fellow officers use to laugh at me when I would challenge them to speed competition vs. target score and I would use my S&W Mdl. 29 8 3/8" barrel .44 Mag. revolver using 215 gr. gas check lead bullets behind a healthy dose of 2400 powder. They were using S&W Mdl. 10 heavy barrel revolvers with 158 gr. RNL. I didn't win all the runs we made but it sure was fun. Practice made it easier to control the big revolver.

Our department went from revolvers to the Glock 22 in 40 S&W in '06 after two of our Transportation Officers were ambushed by a woman trying to free her husband who was leaving the courthouse. She killed one officer before he had a chance to draw his weapon. The second officer shot her twice as she drove away with her husband. Both will be doing time for murder soon enough.

My advice, carry what you can control but don't overdo it. The 9 is only as good as the +P+ ammo you carry in it therefore I carry a Springfield Armory XD40 with Remington 165 gr. Golden Sabre JHP or a highly modified Colt 1991 in 45 ACP with 185 gr. Golden Sabre JHP but not the +P version. Happy carrying.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #221
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Carry...oh yeah...well most of those come with an optional wheel kit for trailering...carry is a taurus titainium 7 shot 357. Most of my needs are copperhead control and peace of mind from an exploding black bear population. the ported barrel helps muzzel flip...but is sure rough on the ears!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #222
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperski
thats my new toy from Magnum Research (also makers of the desert eagle) they say BFR stands for "biggest "finest" revolver"...

Yea, that's a heck of a machine. I like how the "finest" is in quotes, as others have improvised a word for "finest"
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #223
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I just wanted to mention that the heavier calibers, especially magnums do not get that second shot off as fast as some of the smaller calibers and you have to be mindful of where that bullet goes after passing through the perp (if it does) or worse, misses him, goes out the end of your trailer and into someone elses.
Continuing off-topic: There are SO many problems with folks carrying guns, and these are, of course, two that aren't not frequently considered.

There are a number of things I really like about the .45ACP; one of which is the incredible knock-down power for a handgun round... over it's hundred year history, it's logged something over 99% one-shot-stops, yet is controllable by all but the smallest hands.

I have authorized both .40 and .45ACP for my officers, but I'm the only one in my department who currently caries a .45ACP. I'm pleased to see more law enforcement departments re-authorizing the .45ACP. I hope that soon we'll all be carrying phasers set to 'stun', although I suppose that an Airstream aluminum interior would reflect the beam like a house of mirrors and be worse than the noise of a gun discharge in a tube...

Back on topic: I haven't heard whether Chris Deam ever saw his 16' custom CCD again.

Roger
Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #224
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
New Taurus

Held in my hand yesterday the new Taurus modeled after the 1911 Colt. It feels smaller and better balanced than the colt. the price was about $600.00.

I currently carry a Taurus Millenium 9mm and am not too fond of it, but it is the safest pistol I have ever owned as it is double action only.

What I really want is a Kimber pro conceal 40 cal., but they are hard to come by.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

Closed Thread