Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:00 PM   #197
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
You're welcome. And please recognize that my opinions have evolved over thirty years of dealing with exactly the experience you described here. And it's been my experience that if the crook who murdered your friend....
Roger
Ermm..., actually the crook was my friend, unfortunately he chose a life of drugs and crime over a life of sobriety. It makes it no less painful and adds a special meaning to the phrase, "he is dead to me now". Because tha is what it feels like.

Thanks again for your forthrightness. All civil rights are precious.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:19 AM   #198
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
i wonder if non-gun carriers are reading this and are as freaked out as I am. SO many guns! So many people carrying them! I know I've led a pretty sheltered life, by having to avoid chemicals, and so spend most of my time indoors. Since I can't get a licence for driving do to syncope and seizures, I suppose I couldn't get a license for a gun. Besides I have no depth perception. As for awareness of what's going around me. Just ask a friend who sees me in the food market, on oxygen and blitzkrieging around trying to remember what to get (because I always forget the list) and I'm trying to get out of the store asap. They have to grab ahold of me, wave their hands in my face and wait until I can focus on them, and try to remember who they are.
" Situational awareness"- I know the cleaning (smelly) aisle from 2 aisles away. I know who is wearing perfume and go to great lengths to avoid them. I know if there is a diesel vechicle ahead of us. I can identify a propane leak before the machines do. I know charcoal firestarter from 1/2 mile downwind of it. Situational awareness is a whole different thing for me, because chemicals are life threatening to me. An armed robber? I'd probably be too fuzzy to understand what they were saying. As Texans say "Do what?". I am oblivious to my surroundings when overdosed on chemicals. I run on "red alert" everyday but for different things.

I am sure if someone put a loaded gun in my hands I would shoot anyone threatening my family, without hesitation. Actually. I'd probably go berserk and rip the jugulars out of anyone who threatened my kids. (I must have been a mother tiger in a previous life), (who are now bigger than me and know more about guns). My problem is I tend to trust anyone until proven otherwise. Hopefully my guardian angel will keep up her good work. I've been in some scary situations in the carribbean, and somehow I got the guys talking and we had really interesting conversations. Down right fascinating. But I dont think they were very high on drugs or really nasty people. Just despirately poor. Knock on wood. I've been first on the scene on some really gory accidents. And I talk to the peole or kids who are alive to calm them, or hold them, mainly comfort them, get them in a safe place, handle the shock, and get important information.
Frankly, I don't trust me with a gun. I wouldnt rember the procedures to put one together. If the govn't doesn't trust me with a car, I doubt they would trust me with a gun. I guess I'll have to count on you all who carry weapons. But it is pretty scary hearing all your stories. Definately raises my apprehension. But I face death every day from little things like a fireant bite, or a chemical exposure, or going into anaphylactic shock without my epipen in my hand- things that wouldn't even faze you all. So somehow, I can't start worrying about a gun. I do remain "situationally aware" but of different things. And frankly after all these years of just squeaking by, I can't worry about death anymore. After all the intruder's heavy aftershave could kill me before I got shot. silver suz

Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #199
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
According to the poll results, 56% of forum members pack a gun for self defense. I am still waiting to hear from at least one of you who has been in a position (as a civilian - in the line of duty is a whole 'nother matter) to use that weapon for protection. You needn't have fired it, or even brandished it, just felt the security of having it there when someone has threatened you. C.mon, folks, for all this fierce talk. Nobody?

No one has tried to rob you when you were filling your tanks up in a strange neighborhood? No one has camped next to you, gotten drunk, and physically or even verbally, attempted to assault you? No one has entered your rig while you were fast asleep inside and stolen the beer out of your fridge? Have you even witnessed a situation where you thought to yourself, "I need some protection", or "I'm glad I could defend myself under those circumstances"?

Guns are expensive, I could get the cooling unit on my fridge fixed for the cost of one of those babies, and get a better return from my investment. After all I'm more likely to die from e coli or ptomaine poisoning from poorly refrigerated food than getting shot because I wasn't armed.
Okay, I started carrying heat in 1985, after being mugged. I then stopped an attempted store robbery in 1987 in the c-store I worked at. The place got a lot calmer after that, when the bad guys realized that the crazy store manager had a gun, and would shoot back, if not first.
Then a couple of years ago, I shot back at a couple of people, who, for reasons known only to them decided I made a handy target. This last was in a very remote area of the midwest where the lone Sheriff's deputy had to cover the entire county by himself. There were a few other minor instances where I felt much better knowing I had a gun with me, and I think this much activity is atypical, I tend to go in harm's way more than most civilians do, and tend to be in the "bad" parts of town due to my work. Fortunately I no longer do that kind of work, it was too interesting.
Terry
Old 04-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Okay, I started carrying heat in 1985, after being mugged. I then stopped an attempted store robbery in 1987 in the c-store I worked at. The place got a lot calmer after that, when the bad guys realized that the crazy store manager had a gun, and would shoot back, if not first.
Then a couple of years ago, I shot back at a couple of people, who, for reasons known only to them decided I made a handy target. This last was in a very remote area of the midwest where the lone Sheriff's deputy had to cover the entire county by himself. There were a few other minor instances where I felt much better knowing I had a gun with me, and I think this much activity is atypical, I tend to go in harm's way more than most civilians do, and tend to be in the "bad" parts of town due to my work. Fortunately I no longer do that kind of work, it was too interesting.
Terry
Okay, that's 3. Thanks guys.

I'm still going for the cooling unit instead of the Colt, though. A gal's gotta eat!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #201
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Guns scare me.

X
Old 04-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #202
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Guns scare me.

X
::Looks at Xray's avatar::

Seems like you'd be used to them by now, matey.

Or deaf.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #203
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Okay, that's 3. Thanks guys.

I'm still going for the cooling unit instead of the Colt, though. A gal's gotta eat!
I hear ya...I've said it before after a good meal....I could die now and be happy!

Of course I've said that about a few things...food only being one of them!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #204
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is but one of many theft prevention devices employed to protect the Airstream...oh, yea...it's got a HEMI!
Attached Images

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #205
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Smile My real theft protection

Ok here is my real theft protection. The G-17 9mm. At close range I never miss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g17.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	30761  

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #206
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I never said killing would be easy. If I felt my life threatened I would do it. I have already made that decision. I do not like killing bugs either. They are necessary to our existence as well. I believe the sound of a chambered round and a warning will deter all but the drug crazed manic.

I have never had anyone try to enter my house or trailer un-invited. I hope I never have to use a weapon in self defense. If I did I would probably sell the weapon and the trailer. I could not handle the sight of either anymore.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #207
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
f I did I would probably sell the weapon and the trailer. I could not handle the sight of either anymore.
I'd call first dibs on both.....if, of course that day ever did happen. I think both are the cat's meow.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #208
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
You may prepare your self psychologically to kill, the tragedy is it will haunt you the remainder of your life.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
...I hope I never have to use a weapon in self defense. If I did I would probably sell the weapon and the trailer. I could not handle the sight of either anymore.
Michelle, as a Police Firearms Instructor and Instructor in Use of Force, Chemical Agents as well as Defensive Tactics, your actions sure beat the alternative of being seriously injured or killed. I made that decision years ago and will deal with any Post Traumatic Stress Disorder problems that present themselves. It's them or us and it's not going to be me if I can help it. You have that survival attitude which is a good thing.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, don't forget my Glock 21 / 45 Cal.