Thinking about carrying a gun 9 9.28%
No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:52 PM   #155
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Naw, chances are that anyone who wants to steal my trailer or inflict bodily damage on me is better equipped and prepared than myself. My main fear while camping is that Bubba might mistake me for Burt Reynolds and do a deliverance on me.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We would all be safer if we all were required to get training and carry a piece. Civil responsiblity. At least all but the bad guys. Save on jail space also. Less tax dollars at waste....

Old 04-25-2004, 04:33 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I take my wife with me.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:40 PM   #158
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Show 'em the really bad stuff

I just wave vegan hot dogs at "evil doers" - scares 'em away every time.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-25-2004, 05:12 PM   #159
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Yeah but the list of weapons didn't include Mrs. Tin Hut.
Just kidding, mods please move to the original thread.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 04-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #160
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I just wave vegan hot dogs at "evil doers" - scares 'em away every time.
Vegan Hot Dogs? At the risk of finding out, what are vegan hot dogs? Maybe I can slim down my arsenal by packing these instead.
Terry
Old 04-25-2004, 06:43 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua32064
Out of curiosity, do you carry a weapon while traveling? If you do, what do you carry?
John Browning was THE GOD of firearms design. Whether you believe in the knockdown power of the Colt 1911 .45 ACP or the firepower of the Browning 1935 9mm Parabellum (even though he didn't live to finish its final design), John Browning has you covered.

When it comes to pistols, there is no substitute for a single-action .45 or high-pressure (+P) single-action 9mm automatic in the hands of a skilled marksman!

That being said, I, and many others, realize that not everyone establishes and retains their skill with a handgun. Recognizing this reality, I recommend +P .38 Special loading in the Smith & Wesson Model 640 Centennial revolver, a hammerless design, that will not leave a novice facing a cocked situation, requiring pulling the trigger to decock. It's pull the trigger and fire. Same trigger pull every time. No safety to deal with. The Federal High-Power Hydra-Shok is about as good as it gets in this caliber. .357 Magnum is overkill in one of these weapons and results in so much muzzle flash, it's practially unusable.

The police forces have a compromise to deal with. Training costs money. Without precise bullet placement, the .38 Special, even in +P loading, doesn't cut it. They cannot afford the training required with the heavier recoiling .45 ACP or the more precise bullet placement required by the 9mm +P. They've eschewed the powerful but recoil-intensive FBI 10mm for the mediocre .40 cal automatic double-action pistol. They compromise with the incongruity of a first shot done double-action (long trigger pull) and subsequent shots done single-action (short trigger pull).

The question is, whether you intend to become a pistolero. If you do, you'll be best served by a Colt 1911 .45 (i.e. Black Talons) or a Browning High Power 9mm (i.e. Remington +P 115 gr loading) . If you intend not to establish and keep your skills up, the .38 Special +P loading in a S&W 640 may be the best solution for you.

BTW, those who suggest a shotgun have never shot it in a combat shotgun scenerio. There's no way it compares to a handgun in a combat situation in an Airstream, much less a residence.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #162
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Do whatever you feel necessary to prepare for armed conflict in a campground but other than the steak knives in my silverware drawer, my most powerful weapon is a flyswatter.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:08 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
This didn't come back to me when the original thread was going ...

... but you've jogged my memory this time:

When I was a cub reporter in Montana, one of my first murder stories involved one RVer shooting another to death. This happened in a quiet little campground near Canyon Ferry. Both the victim and the killer were two old men. The cause? A disagreement about a noisy generator that went from a polite request to angry words to threats to guns waving to... one man's life ending and the other one ruined.

I grew up in a family of committed hunters but have myself never carried anything more lethal than a banana peel or baseball bat, and after "Man killed over generator noise" I thought, wow, could that be me someday? I have a temper and like to drink, and I decided never to add firearms to that mix. Having an easily aroused sense of moral outrage OR a taste for alcohol OR a firearm at hand, not usually a problem. Maybe even combining hotheadedeness & guns OR alcohol and guns, still not a problem, I don't know, but I quake to think how often all three of those things are probably in evidence when you get a bunch of trailers together. And maybe the one retiree who popped the other back in Montana was stone cold sober, but I talked to him at length afterward, and rest assured that a day didn't go by the rest of his life that he didn't wish he hadn't had a gun that day ...
Old 04-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #164
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Vegan Hot Dogs? At the risk of finding out, what are vegan hot dogs? Maybe I can slim down my arsenal by packing these instead.
Terry
A vegan hot dog is a food product (term used loosely) resembling a hot dog. It contains no fat, no meat, no dairy products, no flavor and no fun! They never seem to go bad (buyer beware of food that doesn't spoil) and when grilled take on the texture of old door gaskets.

Most folks run in horror - or just double over in pain, when offered this odd item.

Oh - yeah: ants don't like 'em either - but that's a different thread

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

Yea, though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the meanest SOB in the valley.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
wait! i left out one possible equation ...

... maybe the moral of that story is: "guns and generators don't mix" ...

you can be drunk, angry & armed, just don't go near any generators ...
Old 04-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Good points, summerkid! I was visiting another non RV forum, where they were discussing life in Florida. A poster made the comment that, "If you carry a handgun in Florida, you WILL use it." That was a scary statement to me. I have witnessed a few instances of "parking lot rage", down here, over stupid stuff. Thankfully no violence occured in these incidences.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #168
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
It does happen, Pick

A while back when I was living in Bushnell Florida, one old geezer shot and killed another old geezer over a parking dispute at the post office.
Gimme a belly full of beer and a 357 magnum and I just might shoot anyone who tries to park their delapidated old SOB next to my Airstream.

Closed Thread