Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
Pacific Coast Travel

We are moving to Arizona in June and want our first long distance camping trip to be up the Pacific Coast from San Diego to Washington State. Would love suggestions of places to camp, places to visit and family owned restaurants. An itinerary would be a God send. All feedback will be read and appreciated.
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Newton's Law

What route will you use to get back to AZ? I'd have a plan in case you don't want to go back the same way that you came. Of course you have the option of playing it by ear.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Tidal Raves at Depoe Bay, OR is good eats.

I like staying at the thousand trails camp ground at Pacific City, OR. Drink at Pelican Brewery, climb the Dune, laugh at people getting their cars stuck in the sand, then go help them get out

Cape Mears state park, OR is stunning too.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
We had a good thread on traveling the west coast a while back on a motorhome board. One of the posters added a link to their very good blog.
Take a look.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...st-143366.html

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We spent a night or two at Manchester State Park in northern CA years ago. Looking at the satellite view now it looks more primitive, or maybe less maintained than I remember but it is separated from the ocean by a hundred yards or so of dunes. We walked to the beach and there was lots of driftwood, and a great view. No hookups but they do have a dump station.

Also, while its not on the ocean, if it fits in your travel itinerary, Lassen Volcanic National Park is nice and very interesting. It's over the mountains in the center of the state but we did a loop up PCH to Oregon, back down to McKinleyville/Arcata and then over the mountains to Lassen, then drove down to Napa Valley and back into SF.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Do the coast

I have traveled along the west coast many times both by car and bicycle and it is beautiful; a must see. Plenty of nice state and federal parks and private campgrounds. So I would do a loop, along the coast one way and either I-5 or US 97 the other way. I-5 would go through the greener areas on the west side of the Cascade range in Washington and Oregon and include Seattle and Portland. On the east side of the Cascades the climate is more arid and roads less crowded. When you get to Northern California, US 97 will intersect I-5 at Weed. At that point you can either stay on I-5 to Sacramanto and the LA area or head toward Reno/Lake Tahoe and continue south from there.
SEA Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just thinking of all the beautiful pull out and turnouts along the coast makes me smile.

For my personal driving comfort level if I'm going on Highway 1and its an option I prefer that I'm headed in a northern direction.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
On the same topic.....
Judy and I are thinking about our 2016/17 winter trip and we want to do a long loop from our home base in Ottawa Ontario, across the mid west, winter in Arizona and then head on up the Pacific coast all the way to Vancouver and back across Canada and home. My question is should we go clockwise or counter clockwise? Is the pacific coast better to do in the fall on the way south or in the spring on the way up. We are concerned on the 'rainy season' if there is such a thing along the coast as well as road and campgroung traffic.
I hope that I didnt mess with this thread, and would really appreciate any assistance.
Thanks
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I will second the Tidal Raves restaurant in Depot Bay. If going for dinner, reservations are highly advised. It is a very popular upscale seafood restaurant.

The Oregon State parks on the coast are great places to stay, also highly recommended. Do you have the Allstays app? That will get you phone numbers for the parks, restaurants, etc.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Driving along the Oregon coast is nicer when heading south. Better view for the driver and the turn outs for views are mostly on the west side of the road. My opinion for what it's worth
QDPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2003 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
We have stayed at Fort Stevens State park several times. Go to the old Fort you will be surprised. Easy access to the beach and Columbia River. Can be really busy in the campgrounds between June to Late August. Easy base to see areas around the North Coast part of Oregon. Close to Astoria, little north of Seaside and Cannon Beach all good day trips. Can make reservations for most of Oregon State Parks online several months in advance.
Classic2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Reservations several months in advance may be the key here.
If traveling during summer or holidays the parks are very popular and often full.

So as hard as it is to know where you may want to stay while traveling in an area that is new to you. It's a good idea to have reservations during peak periods.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Camping in the So. Cal. area

Hi Gary, if you stop over in the LA/Malibu area there are three nice campsites along the coast that are a few miles within one another. All three are dry camping.
Leo Carrillo State Beach - Leo Carrillo SP
Sycamore Canyon and Thornhill Broome Beach - same website for both - Point Mugu SP
Leo and Sycamore are inland, just across Pacific Coast Hwy 1, about a 2-5 minute walk from the beach. Both have showers and dump stations. Leo also has a small market. Thronhill is right on the beach (Our favorite of the three. Porta potties only and no dump station).
Leo - Leo Carrillo State Park - 114 Photos - Parks - Malibu, CA - Reviews - Yelp
Sycamore - Sycamore State Park Campground - 41 Photos - Parks - Malibu, CA - Reviews - Yelp
Thornhill - Thornhill Broome Beach State Park - 71 Photos - Parks - Malibu, CA - Reviews - Yelp
You can drop the trailer and drive a few miles to Neptune's Nest for seafood and a great view. Weekends are great for motorcycle viewing with a couple of hundred showing up. Our kids love it. The city of Oxnard and Walmart are about 13 miles North.
If you decide to travel a little farther north before stopping (2.5 hours), the Jalama (Ha-lama) campground is great little place). Jalama Beach County Park - 59 Photos - Swimming Pools - 9991 Jalama Rd - Lompoc, CA - Reviews - Yelp This is my wife and kid's favorite campground. It can get very wind, but the beach is great here and the Jalama Burgers at the market are the best. Sites 80-117 have power. It's about 28 miles off the 101Fwy and 14 miles from Hwy 1 on the way to Vandenberg AFB. County of Santa Barbara Community Service Dept., Parks Division Online Reservations Once you are there, that's it. There's nowhere to go without driving the 14 miles back to Hwy 1 and another 5 into the city of Lompoc.
If you stop over in the Malibu area or are having trouble getting reservations at any of the first three, give me a shout. I should be able to help out.
Take care, Tracy
PCHCMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I have always had good luck in Oregon State Parks. I highly recommend Sunset Bay on the west side of Coos Bay. From there you can enjoy Shore Acres State Park (a fantastical botanical garden) and the incredible (really jaw dropping) cove just to the south of the botanical area--best and weirdest rock formations next to the water. The entire Cape Arago area is amazing, with tons of seals on Simpson's Reef just off shore.

Sunset Bay is also close enough that you can drive down to Bandon Beach (there's a nice private RV camp in town, right on the main drage) and face rock. Look at the tide tables and go when the tide is out. You can walk among the sea mounts and get up close and personal with the anenomes and star fish. The very shallow slope of the beach means that the water recedes quite far with only a small change in the tide.

Up in Washington, I favor a place called Kalaloch Inlet, on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula. There is a no hookup camp a mile or so south of the inlet and a NP RV camp about 2 miles north. You can't beat being on the beach on one side and the temperate rain forest on the other. When you go around the Olympic NP, you'll wind up in Port Townsend, our favorite town. There is a great RV park right on the Hudson Marina and only a block from walking right down main street. (You can look into buying a Pygmy Kayak kit right there--at least go to the showroom and look). Get reservations for the RV park (360) 385-2828.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
What route will you use to get back to AZ? I'd have a plan in case you don't want to go back the same way that you came. Of course you have the option of playing it by ear.
We have no planned route plus I hate to go anywhere and return the same way. Give your best!
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
San Simeon SP is a good stop for a visit to The Hearst Castle.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
On the same topic.....
Judy and I are thinking about our 2016/17 winter trip and we want to do a long loop from our home base in Ottawa Ontario, across the mid west, winter in Arizona and then head on up the Pacific coast all the way to Vancouver and back across Canada and home. My question is should we go clockwise or counter clockwise? Is the pacific coast better to do in the fall on the way south or in the spring on the way up. We are concerned on the 'rainy season' if there is such a thing along the coast as well as road and campgroung traffic.
I hope that I didnt mess with this thread, and would really appreciate any assistance.
Thanks
Pete
Pete:

We have done the trip counterclockwise twice going south in the fall (we have just done the second trip). Yes, it is the rainy season (it's often called the "Wet Coast") but the advantages are uncrowded campgrounds and few tourists. I expect early spring would be similar. Send me a PM and I'll provide detailed comments.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I only know the Oregon coast parks, and I kind of agree that driving south is easier, everything is easier to turn into and out of.
and along the coast all the Oregon state parks have showers and lots of amenities, in the summer several have kid programs. and most of the non camping state parks are free, or free with your camping receipt from the night before. as long as they aren't full, I like the state parks the best. several of the county parks are also nice, but without all the extras

From the North
Ft Stevens go see the fort.
cape lookout
South Beach St Park, go see the aquarium,
Jessie M. Honeymanstate park, with the dunes and cleawox lake
Umpqua Lighthouse state park more dunes, and a lighthouse
Sunset Bay, nice place pretty natural area
Cape Blanco, nice park, near brookings, nice beach, flores lake

I give up, I've been to most of the state parks, and they are all nice, they get kind of crowded in peak season, but if you are their in fall after school starts, they are much less crowded.
also maybe it's just me, but I find 97 more interesting than I-5, but the campgrounds are usually more primitive, not that their aren't the KOA's and private campgrounds.

not that the willamette valley is'nt nice, I just live here, good lakes though, nice towns mostly. The Columbia gorge is excellent as well. and eastern oregon is cool too.
Can of beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
As you drive you will probably want to pull over and take a look at the view and maybe some whales. I've driven highway 1 in California several times with my trailer. Without a doubt the southerly direction is much easier to pull over. Lots of pullouts but often lots of traffic too. Much easier to just swing right than stop and attempt to cross the lane into a pullout going the wrong direction. Most pullouts are on the ocean side, many fewer on the land side of the road. Here's some photos from my last trip one month ago. Photos are taken on the section of California 1 south of Monterey

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Avenue of the Giants - https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ts&FORM=HDRSC2

Mount St. Helens - Visitor Centers - Mount St. Helens Information Resource Center

Skunk Train Ft Bragg - https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...de&FORM=HDRSC2

Sunriver Lava Caves and Fields - https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...es&FORM=HDRSC2

The Exploratorium - The Museum of Science, Art and Human Perception | Exploratorium

These are not in any order, but they were memorable places we have visited.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote