Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Pacific Coast Highway

We are planning a trip in our 30 foot airstream leaving from Los Angeles and traveling north on Pacific Coast Highway up to Oregon. Has anybody experience with this and with all the curves we wanted to be sure we could manage while towing the 30 foot. Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Travel slow....Curvy from SLO up to Carmel...REAL curvy from North of SF up to Oregon border!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Cal 1

I just drove Cal 1 a couple of weeks ago from LA to Monterrey on my way back from Quartzsite, AZ. It is very scenic but challenging, even with a 19' trailer on the Big Sur. You will have to concentrate on the road so much you will miss the scenery. But it can be done. Several road and bridge construction sites.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
What They Said

But drop dead gorgeous views up and down the coast. (Really twisty up by the California/Oregon border.)

Happy and safe journeys,
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I did Bodega Bay to Astoria, OR last year. Just as curvy, hilly and spectacular, but unless you are skilled with the 30 footer it is going to wear you out.

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
SLO to monterey is not that bad, just leave yourself plenty of time and don't let the people behind rush you. Use the turnouts and don't worry about the views. There are a bunch of spots to pull off to enjoy and have lunch or take photos.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
You will be going very slow (10-15mph) because of curves and hills, so don't expect to cover big distances. Be sure to visit Hearst Castle and stop to see the elephant seals this time of year.

(Bud Light commercial)

Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
We have traveled #1 in a car, but not towing our AS. Just a few miles north of San Simeon, I believe I remember a notice that trailers were not permitted on that part of the Big Sur coastline. That part of #1 is really gnarly and hard to drive as mentioned above. You'll be watching the road much more than you will be enjoining the view. Be sure to check on the "no trailers" demarcation...I believe I am correct on that one. Zigi...

You can always camp south of that area and then take side trips on the Big Sur...don't forget your camera!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
We pulled our 28' AS down the Oregon coast and much of the California Coast to San Simeon, including the Big Sur section, without incident. No trailer restrictions were in place as of December. Beautiful, fun drive. Stay at Kirk Creek Campground at Big Sur if you can, it's awesome.
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Thank you all for the great feedback, really help full and looking forward to our adventure
Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Kirk Creek ia definately a stop you should make! We drove our 30 FC from Paso Robles to Kirk Creek, and it is challenging, but very doable. Take your time, use turn outs, and enjoy the view!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
CA Hwy 1

We've had out 27'--our first RV of any kind--for a year now and one of our first trips was Monterey south on Hwy 1 to Hwy 46 (Paso Robles) with a couple days stop over at Kirk Creek (nearby alternative is Plaskett Creek Campground). Frankly, it was a bit scary at times, but very doable. Traveling south we were on the outside side, many times looking down, WAY down. As many in this thread have advised, take it slow, and enjoy the view--not while you're driving--from the turnouts. Traveling northbound, you'll be on the inland side; it's a bit less scary.

BTW, I'd recommend contacting CalTrans before you start out, just to make sure the road is open; they have lots of washouts that can close the highway for varying periods.

I'd plan a two day trip from SLO to Monterey, spending a night at Kirk Creek Campground, about 25 mi south of Big Sur. If you get there on a week day by late morning, you should be able to get a site. No amenities except spectacular sunsets over the vastness of the Pacific. Whale and dolphin sightings are added benefits.

At the end of your second day, there's a nice campground inside Monterey, Veteran's Memorial Park. Don't pay attention to the 21' length limit. We've taken our 27' there several times and have seen camped RV's over 40'. Unhitch your AS and drop down to Fisherman's Wharf--about 1 1/2 miles away--and enjoy a good seafood dinner.

Next morning, if you want to save some time, take Hwy 156 east to Hwy 101. Then follow 101 north to 880 and skirt around the congestion of the Bay Area, pick up 580 to the Richmond Bridge--bring lots of $, with all your axles, the toll across the bridge is steep--picking up 101 again in San Rafael. This is the route we travel when going to the north coast. Alternatively, you could stay on the coast route traveling through Santa Cruz on up to Half Moon Bay. There's a nice KOA, at Costanoa, in Pescadero. We stayed there this past weekend. Then in Half Moon Bay pick up Hwy 92 and take it east all the way to 880, then north to the Richmond Bridge, etc.

As an FYI, I would not recommend trying to pick up the coast highway immediately north of SF near Muir Woods. It's a very narrow, twisty, congested road, that is more suited to Mini Coopers than Airstreams in tow. Besides, Bodega Bay is, how should I say it ... ugly. You won't be missing anything by following the directions below.

A easy place to pick up the coast route north of San Francisco, is to take Hwy 116 west from Hwy 101 just north of Santa Rosa to Jenner on the coast and travel north on Hwy 1 from there. About 10 mi inland on 116 from Jenner is Casini Ranch, a really nice private campground with full hookups where a northern CA-based group of AS reprobates--now including me--meet each April to drink margaritas and mutually assure ourselves we're all not as nuts as others think we are. Hwy 116 along the Russian River is an easy tow and quite scenic; my personal opinion is that the pretty part of the northern coast route starts at Jenner anyway. There's a very nice private campground with full hookups--Pomo RV Resort(?) about 15 mi north of Mendocino, close enough to be a base for exploring that part of the coast. Above Fort Bragg, you're on your own.

Enjoy your trip. It's spectacular scenery, worthy of a good camera.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have traveled HWY 1 end to end in 'sections' for 60 years. Mostly during the 70s and 80s with my young family in cars, vans and sometmes towing small campers. Just drop dead scenery everywhere, Oregon border to So. Cal. Wonderfull places to camp for a few days and explore which is really the way to do it. It's NOT a hurry up trip. A couple of years ago my wife and I met up with HWY 1 near Monterey, stayed a few days in Carmel (parked in daughter's in laws driveway ) then leisurely towed the Airstream to Kirk Creek campground near Big Sur. Left the trailer there and took day trips visiting Big Sur sights and down past Hearst Castle which we had visited years ago. My first experience was just before I was old enough to drive in 1952. Dad, mom, my younger brother and I had just left LA after the long Rte 66 journey from Michigan. Our (their) plan was to end up in the SF bay Area and a new home. The only 'home' that we had then was a 1950, 26' Pan American travel trailer. Mom convinced dad that she wanted to see the Pacfic Ocean by traveling north on HWY 1. No one had cautioned us then (no Airforums then for sure) to the 'adventure' that we were embark upon. Not that we hadn't had several 'moments' on Rte 66. So with the still performing '48 Nash Ambassador towing our 5000# trailer (dry) with all we could carry in it we began this final leg of our trip to SF. It was as bit of a trip as one could be. Long lines of cars behind us until dad found turnouts long enough for our rig, FOG obscured much of the views that mom wanted to see. Dad never saw anything except what was in front of the hood ornament (remember those) and the headlights lined up behind. My brother and I weren't helping by arguing in the back seat. The only stress that we didn't have was the clift drop off wasn't on our side of the road as we were heading north. Don't let this story discourage you as this was 60 years ago and the road has been updated muchly....even though parts of it today slides into the ocean. Would I travel it in 2012..you BETCHA, but not in 1, 2 or even 3 days. More for north of SF. Find places to stop and stay to take day trips. HWY 1 is to be taken like a fine steak.....slowly so's to savor each bite/sight.
In closing this drive needs to be taken with the knowlege that is not a way betweens points A and B. Plan your stops and enjoy each one. Only you know your ability to tow your 'Long, Long Trailer' .I know had my parents known what the highway was like before venturing on it they would have. I truly had enjoyed it. The 15 day 1952 journey on Rte 66 had it's own breathless moments. No interstate US 40 then to escape onto.

Enjoy.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03376.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	151086   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03365.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	151087  

Name:	DSC03244.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	151088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03270.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	151089  

Name:	DSC03386.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	151090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03333.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	151091  

Name:	DSC03393.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	151092  
Attached Images

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
What a great story...and photos too, including the Nash!

(Bud Light commercial)