Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Yea, when I head out toward Olema or Pt Reyes I take 101 north from the Golden Gate Bridge, and cut over to 1 at San Rafael via 4th street and Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Avoids the real twisty parts of 1 south of Stinson Beach...

with regard to Big Sur, I did find myself once in the situation where I had to do a U turn on the two-lane highway 1, just south of Kirk Creek, due to a slide. That was exciting, to say the least.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
with regard to Big Sur, I did find myself once in the situation where I had to do a U turn on the two-lane highway 1, just south of Kirk Creek, due to a slide. That was exciting, to say the least.
How long did it take you to turn around?

Having been stuck on two laners when there is an accident ahead and the cops telling us the road may be closed for a day while they investigate as the speed of snails, I have wondered how I would get out of there. Never had to turn around though, yet.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The Pacific coast highway, just like California, is doing the Patsy Cline thing........

Falling to pieces.

Motorhomes and travel trailers are used in California, to stay in, while your waiting for the traffic to move.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
How long did it take you to turn around?

Gene
Once I got several cars to clear out (a few people walked ahead 100 yards past the barricade to view the slide), I was able to swing the U by snugging as far right as possible without slipping into a gully, then hard left. Fortunately there was about a 5 ft wide turnout at the shoulder on the ocean side, which I needed pretty much all of.

I learned that with the F250, even turning the steering wheel to the lock will not jacknife the trailer to the extent that the bumper hits the propane cover, at least for a 180. But even if I needed it tighter, the next step would have been to remove a propane tank to provide a couple more inches of clearance.

Know the minimum curb-to-curb turning radius of your rig, and when in the situation, pace it off to see if you've got a chance....
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
So....'bde', when are you leaving?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bde
We are planning a trip in our 30 foot airstream leaving from Los Angeles and traveling north on Pacific Coast Highway up to Oregon. Has anybody experience with this and with all the curves we wanted to be sure we could manage while towing the 30 foot. Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.
The Oregon coast is fine. Not sure what it is like south of Eureka CA.
allenwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
As you come up Cal 1, would recommend taking a right turn at Santa Cruz onto 17 to go to San Jose, then taking 280 north to near San Francisco.

The signs along 280 say "The World's Most Beautiful Highway" or words to that effect, and they are right.

You'll only be on it for about an hour, but you'll sure know why it's call The Golden State.

Turn back onto Cal 1 just past Daly City, you won't want to spend much time in downtown San Fran with your 31-footer.
The 17 is a nightmare without a trailer! I would avoid it, or do it in the early weekend morning. Remember the Bay Area is a beast at commuter time.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I agree with Marzboy - stay away from hwy 17 East over the hill to San Jose...

Hwy 1 up the. Coast from Santa Cruz is an easy drive with some more great ocean views....

The often full state park Beach CG at Half Moon Bay usually will allow U to park in their big Day Area lot so U can check out the beach and stretch your legs .... I've even heard they will sometimes wallow U to stay O'nite if U are a transit RV'er... Just ask!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #29
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Having pulled my 4500 lb metal lathe on a 8.5' wide drop bed trailer on Highway 17, I'll agree that it is not for the faint of heart. The two lanes are very narrow, there are tight turns with decreasing radii and steep grades, and traffic moves right along at or above the 45-50 mph limit. There are basically no shoulders, either, along much of the steeper sections. It can be done, but it does take some serious concentration and excellent lane control. It is downright bad in dark + rain, fog or snow.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Folks have covered in detail the sections south of San Francisco.. We took our 25' Excella up Hwy 1 from just past Sausalito to the merge with 101 near Legett.. Road from 101 to Coast and Stinson Beach was falling apart, with slides and potholes.. A friend with a sports car told me she'd seen her own tailpipe going around corners, and she wasn't really out of line.. We were pushing trying to maintain 20 mph, and getting honked at and yelled at with lines of cars behind us.. We tried road to Shelter Cove without trailer and got run off road by druggies in pickups running at 50+ on 1 1/2 lane road zigzagging through trees... I'd strongly recommend staying on Hwy 101 north of San Francisco, and leaving trailer at park to drive over to coast for short runs.. Waayyy worse than any section of Hwy 1 between Big Sur and Morrow Bay..

>> I would also take Hwy 1 north from Santa Cruz towards SFO, though Hwy 17 isn't bad if you avoid rush hour (northbound from 6 AM until 9:30 AM..) and abide by speed warnings on curves down to 35 or 40 mph...Golden Gate Bridge also doing construction on south end, but will work OK if you stay right....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Having pulled my 4500 lb metal lathe on a 8.5' wide drop bed trailer on Highway 17, I'll agree that it is not for the faint of heart. The two lanes are very narrow, there are tight turns with decreasing radii and steep grades, and traffic moves right along at or above the 45-50 mph limit. There are basically no shoulders, either, along much of the steeper sections. It can be done, but it does take some serious concentration and excellent lane control. It is downright bad in dark + rain, fog or snow.

- Bart
Now, I have not travelled the PCH a lot, but from what I have heard, there is a fair bit of what you are describing along parts of it, too. But maybe I was misled?

I have taken 17 several times (though never with a trailer), and I never felt uneasy on it. But that was in the mid-1990s, so perhaps it has changed since then.

All I can say is that any chance I had to take the 280, I did; I never got tired of it. Oh, and I agree that Half Moon Bay is a not-to-miss spot too. As I recall, you can get there from the 280 as well.

So many choices in that part of the world, it really is quite beautiful!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
We are doing this trip this spring as well. I have traveled HWY 1 many times and you will have lots of fun. We are leaving Az. in mid April and plan to spend 6 weeks on the coast to get to Port Townsend. I'll keep an eye out for you. Mike and Sheri Dean
sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Oh, and I agree that Half Moon Bay is a not-to-miss spot too. As I recall, you can get there from the 280 as well.

So many choices in that part of the world, it really is quite beautiful!
Highway 92 runs from 280 straight into Half Moon Bay and is probably the easiest way to get across those hills between San Luis Obispo and Fort Bragg. (The road from Fort Bragg to 101 is narrower and windier, but there is much less traffic, so fewer people to hurry you along.)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
San Fran...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00301.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	151228  
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #35
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
So....'bde', when are you leaving?

Neil
not sure yet as still coordinating, most likely late March
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #36
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
I want to thank all of you as you have given me such great advise and suggestions in planning our trip and many options. Thank You all again, BDE
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
If you are going up the Oregon coast try to stay at Oregon State Parks whenever/wherever possible. They are all great. There are several on the coast starting just across the CA/OR border. Look them up on the Oregon Parks web site.

Call ahead at least 24 hours for reservations.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote