Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #29
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Having pulled my 4500 lb metal lathe on a 8.5' wide drop bed trailer on Highway 17, I'll agree that it is not for the faint of heart. The two lanes are very narrow, there are tight turns with decreasing radii and steep grades, and traffic moves right along at or above the 45-50 mph limit. There are basically no shoulders, either, along much of the steeper sections. It can be done, but it does take some serious concentration and excellent lane control. It is downright bad in dark + rain, fog or snow.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Folks have covered in detail the sections south of San Francisco.. We took our 25' Excella up Hwy 1 from just past Sausalito to the merge with 101 near Legett.. Road from 101 to Coast and Stinson Beach was falling apart, with slides and potholes.. A friend with a sports car told me she'd seen her own tailpipe going around corners, and she wasn't really out of line.. We were pushing trying to maintain 20 mph, and getting honked at and yelled at with lines of cars behind us.. We tried road to Shelter Cove without trailer and got run off road by druggies in pickups running at 50+ on 1 1/2 lane road zigzagging through trees... I'd strongly recommend staying on Hwy 101 north of San Francisco, and leaving trailer at park to drive over to coast for short runs.. Waayyy worse than any section of Hwy 1 between Big Sur and Morrow Bay..

>> I would also take Hwy 1 north from Santa Cruz towards SFO, though Hwy 17 isn't bad if you avoid rush hour (northbound from 6 AM until 9:30 AM..) and abide by speed warnings on curves down to 35 or 40 mph...Golden Gate Bridge also doing construction on south end, but will work OK if you stay right....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Having pulled my 4500 lb metal lathe on a 8.5' wide drop bed trailer on Highway 17, I'll agree that it is not for the faint of heart. The two lanes are very narrow, there are tight turns with decreasing radii and steep grades, and traffic moves right along at or above the 45-50 mph limit. There are basically no shoulders, either, along much of the steeper sections. It can be done, but it does take some serious concentration and excellent lane control. It is downright bad in dark + rain, fog or snow.

- Bart
Now, I have not travelled the PCH a lot, but from what I have heard, there is a fair bit of what you are describing along parts of it, too. But maybe I was misled?

I have taken 17 several times (though never with a trailer), and I never felt uneasy on it. But that was in the mid-1990s, so perhaps it has changed since then.

All I can say is that any chance I had to take the 280, I did; I never got tired of it. Oh, and I agree that Half Moon Bay is a not-to-miss spot too. As I recall, you can get there from the 280 as well.

So many choices in that part of the world, it really is quite beautiful!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
We are doing this trip this spring as well. I have traveled HWY 1 many times and you will have lots of fun. We are leaving Az. in mid April and plan to spend 6 weeks on the coast to get to Port Townsend. I'll keep an eye out for you. Mike and Sheri Dean
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Oh, and I agree that Half Moon Bay is a not-to-miss spot too. As I recall, you can get there from the 280 as well.

So many choices in that part of the world, it really is quite beautiful!
Highway 92 runs from 280 straight into Half Moon Bay and is probably the easiest way to get across those hills between San Luis Obispo and Fort Bragg. (The road from Fort Bragg to 101 is narrower and windier, but there is much less traffic, so fewer people to hurry you along.)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
San Fran...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00301.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	151228  
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #35
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
So....'bde', when are you leaving?

Neil
not sure yet as still coordinating, most likely late March
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
I want to thank all of you as you have given me such great advise and suggestions in planning our trip and many options. Thank You all again, BDE
Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
If you are going up the Oregon coast try to stay at Oregon State Parks whenever/wherever possible. They are all great. There are several on the coast starting just across the CA/OR border. Look them up on the Oregon Parks web site.

Call ahead at least 24 hours for reservations.

John