Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Don't drive past any signs that recommend no trailers past a certain point...

Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I have lots of places I can recommend from San Francisco and above to the Oregon border. I spent a lot of time camping there. Never took the PCH but 101 is great above San Francisco. If I were you I would take the 101 avoid the Golden Gate (take the 80 to the 580) and take the Richmond Bridge. Its super easy and really beautiful once you get to Santa Rosa. Let me know and I will PM you some great spots!

marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I have lots of places I can recommend from San Francisco and above to the Oregon border. I spent a lot of time camping there. Never took the PCH but 101 is great above San Francisco. If I were you I would take the 101 avoid the Golden Gate (take the 80 to the 580) and take the Richmond Bridge. Its super easy and really beautiful once you get to Santa Rosa. Let me know and I will PM you some great spots!
Yes, HWY 1 can be a greater challenge especially north of Jenner up to Fort Ross while towing a large trailer. Winding and steep but the switch backs........! 101 has it's great stop offs especally in the north. Day trips sans your trailer to the north coast is recommended.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'm going to be pulling our trailer solo from Morro Bay up Highway 1 to Monterey, stopping at Kirk Creek. I've been preparing for it by "driving" the route on google street view. That lets me check out where the turnouts are.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
As you come up Cal 1, would recommend taking a right turn at Santa Cruz onto 17 to go to San Jose, then taking 280 north to near San Francisco.

The signs along 280 say "The World's Most Beautiful Highway" or words to that effect, and they are right.

You'll only be on it for about an hour, but you'll sure know why it's call The Golden State.

Turn back onto Cal 1 just past Daly City, you won't want to spend much time in downtown San Fran with your 31-footer.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've done the coast highway from somewhere south of San Luis Obispo to Cannon Beach, Ore. Some of it is daunting, but wasn't impossible with a 25' (which is really 26', but your is really 31').

In some places, going north, the rocks on the embankment on the curves are very close to the road and the road is off camber, tilting the trailer towards them. You have to watch the mirrors for that and keep close to the center line.

The worst places were north of San Francisco. The road starts somewhat close to the Golden Gate Bridge and once you get on it a little ways there is a sign saying something like "not recommended for RV's over 25'". Maybe it meant trailers, or the entire rig, or Class A MH's, or maybe it was 30'. Regardless, there was no place to turn around and we kept going. Dumb place to put a sign like that!

The next 10 or 20 miles had some interesting tension, but it was doable. You have 5 more feet, but it seems it could be done. Go slow, use mirrors, and ignore the people driving behind you and pull over whenever you can to let them by. Or, find a different route to Olema. There is a nice CG in Olema and it is right over the San Andreas Fault.

Our favorite pizza joint in the west is in Gualala—Upper Crust Pizza. There is a CG right along the Gualala River that was nice, but the internal roads are narrow, but wide enough if you are careful.

There are several CG's in Big Sur. The private ones have difficult access for any trailer. I'd try for the state parks if you can get a reservation there.

At various places the road is winding, tight turns and slow. Another tricky section is north of Jenner, but not quite as much a challenge at just north of the Golden Gate. There will be anxious, impatient people in back of you. You may wish you bought a Bambi. People bring 18 wheelers on this road, so you can do it. We are used to mountain roads, steep grades, very narrow highways, and bad roads, so the coast highway was not that big a deal for us. If you are not familiar with such roads, practice. Go to Big Bear when winter is over with the trailer (never been there, but a friend goes there with his Class C in the winter) since I hear the roads in and out are winding and steep with lots of traffic. Practice elsewhere too—after a while mirrors aren't as necessary as you will know where the trailer is without looking—but look anyway. Driving around your neighborhood is maybe good too as 90˚ turns in residential neighborhoods at intersections teach you a lot.

It is a beautiful drive and we have done it several times with and without a trailer. It is possibly easier going south because you do not have the embankment above you on the east side of the road. Some people will tell you it is too narrow, too winding, too dangerous, and for some people it is. Since we don't have a 30', I don't know what it would be like with your trailer, but I would try it anyway.

There have been reports of washouts south of Big Sur lately. Check before you go. We did not see any signs saying you couldn't bring a trailer down the road south of Monterey.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Yea, when I head out toward Olema or Pt Reyes I take 101 north from the Golden Gate Bridge, and cut over to 1 at San Rafael via 4th street and Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Avoids the real twisty parts of 1 south of Stinson Beach...

with regard to Big Sur, I did find myself once in the situation where I had to do a U turn on the two-lane highway 1, just south of Kirk Creek, due to a slide. That was exciting, to say the least.
steverino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
with regard to Big Sur, I did find myself once in the situation where I had to do a U turn on the two-lane highway 1, just south of Kirk Creek, due to a slide. That was exciting, to say the least.
How long did it take you to turn around?

Having been stuck on two laners when there is an accident ahead and the cops telling us the road may be closed for a day while they investigate as the speed of snails, I have wondered how I would get out of there. Never had to turn around though, yet.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The Pacific coast highway, just like California, is doing the Patsy Cline thing........

Falling to pieces.

Motorhomes and travel trailers are used in California, to stay in, while your waiting for the traffic to move.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
How long did it take you to turn around?

Gene
Once I got several cars to clear out (a few people walked ahead 100 yards past the barricade to view the slide), I was able to swing the U by snugging as far right as possible without slipping into a gully, then hard left. Fortunately there was about a 5 ft wide turnout at the shoulder on the ocean side, which I needed pretty much all of.

I learned that with the F250, even turning the steering wheel to the lock will not jacknife the trailer to the extent that the bumper hits the propane cover, at least for a 180. But even if I needed it tighter, the next step would have been to remove a propane tank to provide a couple more inches of clearance.

Know the minimum curb-to-curb turning radius of your rig, and when in the situation, pace it off to see if you've got a chance....
steverino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
So....'bde', when are you leaving?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #26

2011 25' FB International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bde
We are planning a trip in our 30 foot airstream leaving from Los Angeles and traveling north on Pacific Coast Highway up to Oregon. Has anybody experience with this and with all the curves we wanted to be sure we could manage while towing the 30 foot. Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.
The Oregon coast is fine. Not sure what it is like south of Eureka CA.
allenwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
As you come up Cal 1, would recommend taking a right turn at Santa Cruz onto 17 to go to San Jose, then taking 280 north to near San Francisco.

The signs along 280 say "The World's Most Beautiful Highway" or words to that effect, and they are right.

You'll only be on it for about an hour, but you'll sure know why it's call The Golden State.

Turn back onto Cal 1 just past Daly City, you won't want to spend much time in downtown San Fran with your 31-footer.
The 17 is a nightmare without a trailer! I would avoid it, or do it in the early weekend morning. Remember the Bay Area is a beast at commuter time.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I agree with Marzboy - stay away from hwy 17 East over the hill to San Jose...

Hwy 1 up the. Coast from Santa Cruz is an easy drive with some more great ocean views....

The often full state park Beach CG at Half Moon Bay usually will allow U to park in their big Day Area lot so U can check out the beach and stretch your legs .... I've even heard they will sometimes wallow U to stay O'nite if U are a transit RV'er... Just ask!