Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Red face overnight areas on Interstate 70 East bound from Chicago.

We are headed to Colonial to pick up our new AS and bringing our 2013 22'FB in trade. We have very limited time, unfortunately. As we researched convenient places like KOA in Eastern Indiana and Ohio, we find only 2 night stays on weekends Of course we are traveling through these areas on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We have only 3 days to make it to Colonial and will have to rely upon major highways. Our return will not be much better. Has anyone found a nice reliable, place along this route other than a truck stop or Walmart? Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Off your Rt. 70 route but still in a westbound direction is an Airstream Park in western Penna right off Rt. 80. Penn Woods, you can google it for more information and location. Just a sidenote, tolls on PA turnpike leading to Rt. 70 are pretty steep with a trailer in tow and except for the Rt. 78 crossing into PA ( $2 toll) Rt. 80 is a freebee. SHOULD you elect to go Rt. 80 contact me for information regarding the Rt. 78 crossing if you intend to use EZ-Pass. If you go with cash it won't matter.

Penn Woods would be a pretty nice first days trip from Colonial.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Gee. Since I didn't have anything better to do I just checked the KOA at Madison, PA which is E of Pittsburg and a mile off I70 x54. I checked both Fri Oct 3 and Sat Oct 4 and had absolutely no problem with a reservation for 1 night on either date. So just exactly where did you check? I'd find it hard to believe that this late in the season that any campground in that area would require a 2 nite stay on weekends unless there was something special going on locally.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We will check Penn Woods. We will review the 80 route over to Colonial. If it is easy to drop down to Lakewood that would be preferable to tolls. we Have I Pass that also works with Easy Pass. We will check the Madison KOA. We had check the Indiana and Ohio ones due to the amount of miles we have to travel and trying to stay within 350 miles per day.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
we will check the 80 route out. I will keep you posted. Opps, Penn Wood closed October 11.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We checked Indiana and Ohio.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Sorry about Penn Woods. I failed to note their closing. If you choose Rt. 80 it's not difficult to drop down to Colonial. Check the map but:
I 80 to Pa. 33 ( just west of Stroudsburg, Pa)
Pa 33 to I 78 E
78E cross into NJ ( no toll) and continue to Rt 287 S
Rt. 287S to Rt. 9 south to Lakewood & Colonial. As an alternative also from Rt. 287 in the same area as Rt. 9 you can take the Garden State Pky south also. GPS will route you to Colonial. Going back you can take your trailer on the GSP and reverse the trip. I would probably advise doing that but remember there are tolls on the GSP. If traveling off hours Rt. 9 is not bad but rush hour will be hectic. Crossing back into Penna on Rt. 78 there is a toll. We have trouble using E-Zpass on the high speed travel lanes with a trailer. They assess the higher commercial rate toll. If we use the toll plaza E-Zpass lane they get it right at $2.

Remember, New Jersey put the " double F" in traffic. Take your time and try to time yourself to avoid rush hour and you will be fine. If you are new to towing, know your route and keep right.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
we will check the 80 route out. I will keep you posted. Opps, Penn Wood closed October 11.
Uh. OCTOBER 11

Today is SEPTEMBER 29.

If they're heading back this week or even next should be fine.

Paula