Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Outer Banks Trip Memorial Day 2011

I know this is a little late, but here is report of my trip to the Outer Banks in NC over Memorial Day.

My Girlfriend and I decided to take our first trip in my 2009 27FB Ocean Breeze to the Outer Banks over Memorial Day. Since I was living in Surf City, NC it took us about 3 hours to get to Cedar Island for the Ferry to Ocracoke Island. I would recommend making reservations by calling 800-293-3779 before you go to ensure you have a spot. Since I have the 27FB and my Dodge 2500 Diesel I had to get the 3 spot reservation and it cost me $45 one way.

Loading onto the ferry was easy and once underway we opened up the windows and had a couple of beers in the comfort of the airstream with great views of the water. Once we got to Ocracoke Island we drove north towards the ferry to Hatteras, which is one of my favorite drives for the sheer beauty of it. Once we got to the ferry (which is free to Hatteras) we loaded up and had a 45 minute ferry to Hatteras. We stayed at the Sands of Time camp ground at Avon, NC which is on the north end of Hatteras Island. It is a nice camp ground that is family run and takes cash only. We were the only Airstream there and and had a nice spot that was full hookup.

The three days we spent there we went to the beach, fished, relaxed in the Airstream, and went out to eat several times. It was a great time and I would love to do it again sometime in the future. We left a day early because the weather was so nice I couldn't pass up the chance to get back to Surf City, NC and take my boat offshore for some king fish.

I'd recommend Sands of Time for a place to stay. It's about 1/2 mile to the beach and close enough but far enough away from Kitty Hawk that the crowds are not very bad. Next time I think I'll stay on Ocracoke or south Hatteras just to do something different. If you're looking to visit the Outer Banks I'd highly recommend it because of the beauty and adventure of getting there. Below are some pictures of my trip, enjoy.

FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Looks like fun! My favorite destination is the Outer Banks.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Looks like a great trip. Have been going to the OBX for over 40 years...never grow tired of it. We will be headed to Hatteras later this summer and staying at Camp Hatteras. Can't beat the sun, fun, food, and relaxation. As you mentioned, the lower end of the OBX isn't as commercialized and seems to have the feel of Nags Head 30 years ago. We have never been to Ocracoke but will put that on our list this year. Also told that an interesting side trip is to rent a boat in Ocracoke and travel across the bay to Plymouth Island...and abandoned town from years ago...a ghost town in the Outer Banks. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks for the pictures ... you gave me confidence to take the ferry. We traveled from Kitty Hawk all the way down and took the ferry to Cedar Island. The lower you go, the better it gets!
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote