Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

benefit of being in a 30 year old camping club

We've tried everything. Indoor/outdoor carpet is the worst ( gets muddy, heavy when wet, doesn't dry etc etc ) Astro turf is not much better. The plastic mats work the best. Water drains right through very quickly. They are easiest to clean, but I rarely have to. Stuff doesn't stick to it.
Hey Protag, As far as grass being better....you are right....until it rains. Using mats does keep the camper cleaner

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a large one (about the size of the awning) and a smaller one (6x8). The smaller one is more functional. IF the site has grass or a decent ground cover I don't use it. More usual is gravel...sometimes even cement (the worst). Was up in New England for 2 weeks recently and I used it at all sites. Great to get most of the dirt off of Rhoda's feet before she comes inside and it definitely does reduce stuff tracked in. If it is wet (and this happens quite often), I shake off as much as I can and fold it so it'll go in a big heavy garbage bag. When I arrive at the next site I pull it out and put it down. It doesn't seem to retain all that much water. Also, I think they provide kind of a homey space.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Ours is about 2/3 the length of our awning on our 31' Classic. We use it about 95% of the time except when we are overnighting or when park rules prohibit their use. It's rare to find a grass covered sight any more at the places we travel. Most of the time it's either concrete, gravel, or the grass is so worn that most of it is a gravel dirt mixture with tuffs of grass.

I've got a mat that I bought at Camping World about 10 years ago. It is as deep as the extended awning and goes from the front awning support back to the rearmost axle.It has corner eyelets that allow me to stake it down so it won't blow away when the wind and storms blow in. Typically I broom sweep it off and it folds up. I carry a 30 gallon trash bag which holds it folded. When I get home if needed, I'll open it up on the driveway and squirt it off with a hose.

It was about $75 at the time and is the same color blue as the awning and supposedly is grass friendly.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Indoor/outdoor carpet is the worst ( gets muddy, heavy when wet, doesn't dry etc etc ) Astro turf is not much better.
Need to invent a self-draining astroturf someday. Already have a name for it: Grassfalt.

But less pie-in-the-sky, the latest Hammacher Schlemmer catalog includes something they call a "sandless beach mat" that looks like it would make a good patio mat material if only they were bigger and came in other colors. Wonder what it's actually made of?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We got one of the polypropylene that came in two shades of grey that goes perfectly with the A/S. Keeps most of the dirt out,and is a clean dry place for the dogs to lay on. We've had it for about 5 years now, and it's going to look like replacement time soon.Luckily our new local A/S has the two tone grey in stock all the time.
George
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
as it relates to question of color...for folks ordering new AS's...how do I know what color my awning will be? I was never asked by dealer this as an option...does that mean there is a standard color? If so what is it? Sorry, don't want to hijack, but it relates to choice of mat

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Pharm Geek, if you ordered the FC, it will most likely be grey.
As for the mat/rug, many years ago i purchased the Astro turf mat that was rubber backed and had a binding around the edge. Over the years the backing is gone and so is the binding. I used a charcoal lighter on the edge to keep it from snagging. It folds small, keeps the trailer clean, was cheap and has lasted for years.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
as it relates to question of color...for folks ordering new AS's...how do I know what color my awning will be? I was never asked by dealer this as an option...does that mean there is a standard color? If so what is it? Sorry, don't want to hijack, but it relates to choice of mat
I was unaware that you would have a choice. I'm sure you can check with a dealership or call Jackson Center and they will tell you the color that would be supplied with a specific model Airstream.

We bought our mat after we got our trailer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I won't buy mat till after - just curious...

I figured grey was likely

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Never even thought about the color....and it surely wasn't an option when I ordered my trailer. It came with tan....including the awning option (rear and SS awnings).
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Honestly, my outdoor rug is a hand-me-down. It is a green area rug one of the girls at work had in her office and decided she didn't want anymore.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I was told by the dealer that my FC awning was blue, but when I finally did the reveal, it was black....which I wanted in the first place!

Nice surprise.

So, you never know.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I think a lot depends upon where you camp. I tried an outdoor mat, but gave up on it when it kept getting wet and full of dirty pine needles. Now we keep the mats on the inside, on top of the vinyl flooring to protect it more directly, as it has been prone to scratch & collect dirt.

Will check out your recommendations, if we have some leisure in a place that sells these things.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
We've been using a large piece of heavy duty canvas. I serged(sewed) two lengths together to make one large mat. We can fold it up and store it in a box in the AS "trunk". Last time out it was windy and got filthy. Brought it home and hosed it on the bushes. Let it dry and folded it up nice and small again .

We also use a rubber boot mat with textured wiping area and a rim. It's been working great.