Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Take a look at this one. We love ours. Got from Campmore.
Aero-Weave Breathable Outdoor Mat - SeaScape, 7.5' x 20'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43902new.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	192510  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we looked through some of the "RV patio mats"....oh dear baby jeeyzus - dems be mucho feo (in my opinion) for the most part. Fly at night, you were right about that.

I have an indoor rug that will be going out with a renovation soon...it would be great if on carpet, but terrible on grass or if it got wet...ill need to keep looking...ill def. check the home depot scraps idea!

Why cant they make a couple patterns on RV mats that are a bit more contemporary or something? There was one with all sorts of circles...but it was too far contemporary for my taste...not much selection....lots of running horses, checkered flags, and paisley patterns, etc...

My wife finally was like "just get that plain stone or baige colored one....makes sense.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Take a look at this one. We love ours. Got from Campmore.
Aero-Weave Breathable Outdoor Mat - SeaScape, 7.5' x 20'
Yeah, we spotted that one...you like it? Cool, perhaps will consider.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
ZipDee makes a nice one. Only available in one size and only in blue. As eubank mentioned, it doesn't kill the grass.

The issue of it being wet and dirty... We flip the cloth over first, then fold in the dirty side. It goes in the bed of the truck, not in the airstream.
Dumb question… If you've got grass, why put down a patio mat at all? Grass makes for a much more attractive campsite. I only use my patio mat on gravel, dirt, or unsightly weeds, never on grass. Even though it is one of those breathable polypropylene ones that's supposed to not kill the grass.

Now if we could find a nice Persian or Navaho print…

But I agree with not storing it inside your Airstream. If you never use it indoors, why let it take up valuable storage space indoors?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Dumb question… If you've got grass, why put down a patio mat at all? Grass makes for a much more attractive campsite. I only use my patio mat on gravel, dirt, or unsightly weeds, never on grass. Even though it is one of those breathable polypropylene ones that's supposed to not kill the grass.
I prefer grass, too. But, the ground cloth comes in a fixed size. The area that I need to cover might only be 4'x6' right by the door and then the rest of a 8'x16' mat covers grass. Campground owners typically prefer that your mat be non-grass killing for that reason. If I'm camping somewhere where I don't need the mat because there's no mud or dirt...we don't use it.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
To me it is a big "door mat". Catches a lot if stuff, more than I want to clean out if AS.

and my lovely bride likes it...it is a simple thing to do.

We got ours at W-M, during my annual "visit" I allow myself to be subjected to....I don't want to give opportunity for a "People of W-M" portrait!

When home I toss it over the Grandkids swing set and hose off the mat. It dries quickly as it is just plastic. I then roll up and stow. When clean it sometimes rides inside the AS... And is first item we deploy.

BTW... It is also great ground cover when the AS is in need of ground work. Makes the concrete much softer in my ole bod.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I like this one. Small family business. Folds up and cleans well.
Lots of color/pattern choices.

Outdoor Breathable Rugs rv mat rug camping pool patio pet

As stated above, a little bigger than the awning is best in my experience. Mine folds compactly for its size (9X20 IIRC). I put it in an old duffel bag and stow in the shower floor.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
We like the folding polypropylene mats so much that we have two of them...one is huge and the other medium both bought on close out for next to nothing from Camping World. They fold up and store like a breeze and I've learned a couple of tricks along the way to make it even easier.

For starters, we also purchased those soft Mountainsmith bags from Sierra Trading Post that come in a package of either three or four. Each set also has a carrybag that is meant to transport the individual stuff sacks together as one. But we found we didn't need the large carryall. But damn if the large polypropylene mat doesn't fit in there perfectly. So now we have both great stuff sacks AND a waterproof carrier for our mat.

When the mat gets muddy or dirty right before we head home I will flip the campsite picnic table onto its side, place the mat over it and sweep/beat most of the dirt off of it. I may hose it if needed as well. Then I just flip the picnic table back down with the mat on top and fold it up crease by crease. Then I just pop it into the Mountainsmith carrier bag and Away we go.

Check out those Mountainsmith bags. We love them too. You can fill them with just about anything and stuff them in any nook or cranny in your Airstream.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
we looked through some of the "RV patio mats"....oh dear baby jeeyzus - dems be mucho feo (in my opinion) for the most part. Fly at night, you were right about that.

I have an indoor rug that will be going out with a renovation soon...it would be great if on carpet, but terrible on grass or if it got wet...ill need to keep looking...ill def. check the home depot scraps idea!

Why cant they make a couple patterns on RV mats that are a bit more contemporary or something? There was one with all sorts of circles...but it was too far contemporary for my taste...not much selection....lots of running horses, checkered flags, and paisley patterns, etc...

My wife finally was like "just get that plain stone or baige colored one....makes sense.
Pharm, Airstream reads these forums. Maybe this thread will convince them to make a mat that matches the interior upholstery, and offer it as an option. I would have gladly purchased one. As they say, if you're swallowing an elephant, don't choke on the tail.

Would be great to have that seamless exterior/interior design transition.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
New Iberia , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
ZipDee makes a nice one. Only available in one size and only in blue. As eubank mentioned, it doesn't kill the grass.

The issue of it being wet and dirty... We flip the cloth over first, then fold in the dirty side. It goes in the bed of the truck, not in the airstream.
We like our Zip Dee mat, too! A bit pricey, but a classy mat... Basically jute, encapsulated in some kind of rubberized foam, which makes it cushy and flexible underfoot. Polypropylene mats are stiffer and harder to roll up-- you kind of have to fold back on original creases.

Cleanup is easy...holes in between the jute fibers let most of the dust/sand pass through. The only thing we have to do is sweep off leaves or twigs on top. Before decamping I sweep the entire surface clean, fold the mat in half, sweep the exposed underside, and repeat (comes out fairly clean underneath, too) until the mat is a long, skinny rectangle that can be rolled and bungied up for the pickup bed. If we've had rain, after the initial surface sweeping, I take the mat and lay it over the picnic table (we usually camp in state parks). This allows it to dry some with the sun and the air flowing through the holes.

The Zip Dee "UltiMat" at time of purchase (early 2013) came in only one color, a nice medium "Dresden" blue. It goes well with the blue Excella striping, if you have one of those.

http://awningsbyzipdee.com/4485/20427.html
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My brother-in-law bought the Zip-Dee mat. It is a nice mat, but be aware, if you live in an area with Hickory trees, the nut husks will permanently stain the "rubbery" covering. These husks, when green will stain a lot of stuff, but the mat is particularly susceptible to it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I bought a remnant of indoor/outdoor carpet at Lowes. It is thin enough to not be heavy, does not absorb water and can be shaken off easily when packing up. I roll it up and use bungie cords to fasten it on the tongue just behind the propane tanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Hey everyone, your responses have been super helpful. I have the Aero-weave on order. Our next trip will have us camped at the beach for a week, and even though we are not bringing Precious Doggy with us, the idea of all that sand in the trailer drives me crazy. I know there will still be some, but this has got to help. And I love the picnic table strategy! That is just the kind of camper wisdom I was hoping for!

Sue
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Originally had outdoor carpet from Lowes. Inexpensive and worked ok. About 2 years ago went with the Zip Dee mat and really like it. We have a 30' trailer and have the 18' version which is about the length of the awning. It helps keep dirt out of the trailer and is comfortable for sitting/walking. Blue color goes well with trailer.

extiger is offline   Reply With Quote