Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #81
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Ah, so you are justifying my position. As long as you obey the speed limits you have nothing to fear. A speed trap is a place where they consistently enforce the speed limits posted. Nothing really unfair about that. I do think there are places where the police sit at the bottom of a hill and ticket you when not doing the 30 MPH when you are two feet past the sign even though you are slowing down. Ask me how I know this.

Get a radar detector so you can avoid getting a ticket when you are breaking the law. I stand by my original statement. I will also challenge anyone to explain why you need a radar detector if you have no intention of breaking the law. Anyone who has a radar detector mounted is overtly saying that they will drive well above any limit posted anywhere. It is up to them to make the laws on the highways when it comes to maximum speeds. A pretty scary position to take on the large scale.
The speed traps also tend to have a sudden and dramtic drop in the limit with no advanced warning, like 55 to 30. Technically, in the US, the uniform traffic code practices require an advanced warning of any reduction of more than 5 mph, but in these small towns where tickets are the primary revenue stream, the judge does not throw out the case as it should be....
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #82
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
They will also ticket you for 2-mph over. Even in dead of night. I don't speed at all, but this is not at all a safety issue. A speed trap is nothing but revenue raising.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #83

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Ah, so you are justifying my position. As long as you obey the speed limits you have nothing to fear. A speed trap is a place where they consistently enforce the speed limits posted. Nothing really unfair about that. I do think there are places where the police sit at the bottom of a hill and ticket you when not doing the 30 MPH when you are two feet past the sign even though you are slowing down. Ask me how I know this.

Get a radar detector so you can avoid getting a ticket when you are breaking the law. I stand by my original statement. I will also challenge anyone to explain why you need a radar detector if you have no intention of breaking the law. Anyone who has a radar detector mounted is overtly saying that they will drive well above any limit posted anywhere. It is up to them to make the laws on the highways when it comes to maximum speeds. A pretty scary position to take on the large scale.
Not to gainsay your larger point (that driving at or below the limit avoids the problem entirely) your point that I emphasized in bold+italics is simply not supportable. Owning a radar detector does not mean I will drive "well above any limit posted anywhere" any more than owning an umbrella means I will carry my umbrella open above my head every time I walk outside.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
In Il. they can only reduce speed 10mph from max mph advance warnings and footage apply except in school zones. Also from Ind to Ohio turnpike the gestapo will set on Ohio state line ticket anything over speed limit as Ohio has lower limit than Ind.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I agree with aftermath. The solution is simple. if you don't want a ticket don't exceed the speed limit.

Bad news for fans of radar dectors: Radar is rapidly being phased out and replaced with LIDAR.

If someone tries to sell you a LIDAR detector, the are probably not telling you that there is a very low probability they will give a warning before it is too late, if they give you one at all.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I rolled and wrecked and totaled my car and Airstream in Virgina. I never hit a guard rail, sign, or another person. The state gave me a reckless op, that I had to show up at. FWIW I wrote the judge and he deduced it to a $20 fine plus $70 court cost and no points. I still can't believe they gave a a ticket. We could have died, we were hanging upside down and I self rescued all of us.
Just curious what type and brand of car were you driving when it rolled? Any particular reason it rolled?

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I got a 10 over speeding ticket while in UT.

Residing in MI, suppose I never return to UT. Why should I pay it?

C'mon guys, pay your Utah tickets, we need the money.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
It was a 2013 Subaru Outback the trailer was an Airstream 15 footer I think they only made them in 2008. The reason was no trailer brakes. I did the wiring. I took it to an rv dealer to check it and certify I had brakes. They told me I had them. But I think they where talking lights while I was talking electric bakes. The trailer fish tailed and passed me up on my left. It pulled me around then rolled us. My wife went the long way over. I did a self rescue and then got her and the dogs out. Lucky to be alive. The Subaru is a well built car. But I've since moved on to a more capiable Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #89
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure
I rolled and wrecked and totaled my car and Airstream in Virgina. I never hit a guard rail, sign, or another person. The state gave me a reckless op, that I had to show up at.
Reminds me of a story my old boss told. When he was young he crashed his motorcycle; I believe a rail crossing percipitated the wreck. Anyway, he was lying in an ER gurney when a police officer happened by, and asked him what happened. He described the accident, and the officer proceeded to write him a moving violation! His take home message was, always say it happened in your driveway, not a public road!

As for speeding, I disagree with those who (sometimes rather sanctimoniously) say there's no benefit to speeding. When it's safe for the conditions (obviously not while towing), and if drivers at varying speeds stratify themselves in the lanes according to speed, I'd far rather proceed on the open road at 85 than 55.

I've gotten speeding tickets over the years, and taken my lumps and paid the fines. It does incentivize more alert driving, and besides mellowing with age a little, I've learned to anticipate likely cop hiding places on the road ahead.

What the speed limit ought to be at a given place is a bit off topic, so I'll leave it here.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
I wonder if ya'all have any thoughts on the state of Utah increasing the freeway speed limits in most, if not all, urban areas to 70 mph. . . .
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage View Post

As for speeding, I disagree with those who (sometimes rather sanctimoniously) say there's no benefit to speeding. When it's safe for the conditions (obviously not while towing), and if drivers at varying speeds stratify themselves in the lanes according to speed, I'd far rather proceed on the open road at 85 than 55.
I'm usually mindful of speed limits because, whether or not I agree with the posted limit, if I exceed it then I make myself liable to a ticket. Tickets are expensive and are things that I like to avoid.

I've just completed a bus and truck driving course, and one of the instructor's mantras was "Satisfy The Law". It's not just about getting a licence, of course, but about keeping one. It's good advice and something I'm working to abide by.

Anyway, as well as producing tickets, driving above the posted limits burns too much gas and vastly increases your chances of a minor mishap turning to a major mishap; safer and cheaper works for me! I'm trying not to be too sanctimonious, by the way.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
The reason was no trailer brakes. I did the wiring. I took it to an rv dealer to check it and certify I had brakes. They told me I had them. But I think they where talking lights while I was talking electric bakes.

Not clear on this, on my Prodigy Brake Controller I can test the brakes easily with the Lever. I can also increase or decrease the amount of brakes that are used (really handy with a car trailer that may be empty or loaded).
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #93
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The first thing my father taught me about driving was the "cops will give you 10 mph" over the speed limit. This is pretty much true except at speed traps. So there's the posted limit and the real limit.

This difference does not cause respect for the law, but is well known to most drivers. If cops gave tickets to everyone breaking any of the many traffic laws, most everyone would have their licenses suspended. If you know the traffic laws well, you probably know people (including cops) do all sorts of things they aren't supposed to do. In some places members of minorities and young people get tickets for those things and others don't. Cops have a lot of discretion in giving out tickets and sometimes they favor some more than others.

I understand some people are adamant that no matter what, you should never speed. Some of them are sanctimonious about it—I would like to watch those people drive and let them know what laws they have violated. But posted speed limits are usually a well known fiction and I prefer to do what is real than what a sign says. But I also watch for speed traps.

I used to drive faster than I do now. Getting there fast doesn't seem to matter as much. Despite my age, my reflexes and eyesight are still very good (the rest of me is kind of worn though). But when towing, the risks increase a lot and driving slower is sensible. Either way (towing or not), since the 55 limit ended, I haven't gotten a ticket so I'm doing something right. And I have a radar detector for speed traps.

My wife drives slower than me in urban areas and faster on the highway. She never gets tickets, ever, but she is better looking than me.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not just pay the fine, you could hire an attorney and fight it,next time be more careful..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #95
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Most states have a reciprocity policy.

Joe
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

I would just pay it and get it over with. Quick, Easy, and no issues!
Syr1pss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #97
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
We used to live in Switzerland, where they have nifty cameras that take pictures of speeders. We got a few tickets, but one stands out - going 53 kph in a 50 zone. Despite the indignity of a speeding ticket for going less than 2 mph over the limit, we paid the ticket. We were guests in their country, the least we could do was obey their laws.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #98
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lots of places have those "nifty cameras". Some use them to raise revenue and they are pretty unpopular. Are they accurate—who knows? Radar is not all that accurate unless tested frequently and can mistake one car for another. In Denver the vans are run by a private company whose profits may be affected by how many people they catch. If they take your picture (or the guy next to you) a bright light goes off and can blind you for a moment. Colorado requires they have a sign warning you before you get to the photo radar van, but you may not see it, especially if there is a lot of traffic.

They also have red light photos, but are they timed accurately to the red light and whether you entered the intersection on the yellow even if you left on the red?

Judges tend to believe electronic stuff and you have little chance to challenge it. You may not know exactly when you were photoed (is that a word?) and may have forgotten any defense you would have if you were stopped by a real person. Of course, real people can be wrong too and may pick on minorities.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote