Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I tried to.
The statie said 'no'.

So then I drove through Panguitch, the next day, and stopped at the courthouse to pay it. They couldn't find any record of it.
Here in MN, tickets can take up to 10 days to show up in the state system. Until they actually show up in the system, you can not pay it. Then once they show up, you have whatever time to pay it that is listed on the ticket, which can vary by county and what the violation was. Heaven help out of state drivers try to deal with the system. Now MN has a online system for accepting payments, so it's a tad easier.

From what you said, it sounds like Utah might have a similar setup, and you tried to pay the ticket before it was in the system. Not much help right now, but it might help explain why you couldn't just pay it the next day and be done with it.

You certainly have my empathy is having to deal with another state's ticketing process.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Virginia is notoriously bad for ticketing out-of-state drivers and radar detectors aren't legal there (go figure).

As for OPs question... just pay it. Think of it as the price of going too fast and move on. It may or may not come back to bite you if you don't but even if you knew, 100%, that it wouldn't, would you really not pay it?
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have to agree with PH Just send em a check,chalk it up to an experience in Utah and let it go. From now on keep you foot out of the intake. Slow down and take in the sights . You will live to fight another day.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Virginia is notoriously bad for ticketing out-of-state drivers and radar detectors aren't legal there (go figure).
Only if they see it

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Only if they see it
I guess if you look at it that way, you're not speeding unless they see you. That is cat logic. To a cat, nothing is bad if you don't get caught. Didn't we decide earler that you were a barn cat.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Call the court clerk and ask the details. A buddy of mine got a 76 in a 55 (small town Texas...). The officer miss entered it into the system as "7" in a 55...

No fine for going too slow...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I guess if you look at it that way, you're not speeding unless they see you. That is cat logic. To a cat, nothing is bad if you don't get caught. Didn't we decide earler that you were a barn cat.

Ken
Yep barn cats don't get caught very often A plane got me once on US 50 between Delta and Junction. I aways look up know in that spot. Only ever seen a plane 2 other times in the 7 years we have been here. I would have fought it, but we were living in Trinidad at the time and wasn't worth the time and money to come back. Airplane tickets are easy to get out of.. (well thats what I was told)

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Call the court clerk and ask the details. A buddy of mine got a 76 in a 55 (small town Texas...). The officer miss entered it into the system as "7" in a 55...

No fine for going too slow...
There is a fine for going too slow on many highways.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I was told (in SC) by a HP if the fine is paid in the time allowed no action is taken, if the fine is not paid or paid late there is a very good chance your state will receive a notice of the offense.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Yep barn cats don't get caught very often A plane got me once on US 50 between Delta and Junction. I aways look up know in that spot. Only ever seen a plane 2 other times in the 7 years we have been here. I would have fought it, but we were living in Trinidad at the time and wasn't worth the time and money to come back. Airplane tickets are easy to get out of.. (well thats what I was told)
If you fight an airplane tcket, the next time they see you, they take you out with an AGM.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If you fight an airplane tcket, the next time they see you, they take you out with an AGM.

Ken
Thats why I have Photon Torpedoes mounted under my A/C cover on the AS with a tracking system.. Got them from my mob friends in the Bronx..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
True. A few years ago my daughter got a speeding in Virginia. After a couple of weeks she was contacted by no less than two law firms that offered (for a substantial fee) to "represent" her, and get the charge reduced to a lesser violation (reduced fine, and no points). The offers and fees from these firms were nearly identical. She took the offer because she didn't want to go back to Virginia, and she already had enough points.

As an enforcement officer, I had a rather unique situation in my state. We had authority to enforce all state laws/codes. We also had regulations that mirrored most state laws and, in most situations, the discretion to chose between the two. The Attorney General at the time, had a problem with us having this discretion, so I developed some guidelines (a rather complex matrix) for when we would use state code and regulation, which seemed to satisfy them. One of the things I decided, was to enforce most traffic violations under our regulations. Speeding, for instance, was a flat $25 mail-in fine (plus mandatory court processing costs), and no points were assessed. I had a problem with feeding the insurance company's cash cow. Consequently, I can't recall anyone ever contesting a speeding ticket.

My advice to the OP: Pay the fine.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
If you were going 10 over pay it if you weren't fight it.

I would be more worried if they are going to report it to your insurance company.

Jim

Agreed. I say....pay it. Cheaper to do the right thing.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Thanks all.

..and no, I wasn't towing at the time
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #35
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
I have no knowledge about your home state , but if Texas is notified by another state that you have an outstanding ticket or warrant there is a code number on the backside of the renewal card used for renewing you drivers license. Texas will arrest you and hold you until that fine and warrant fee is posted or paid. Don't ask me how I found this out. ;-)
Good old days are gone , now that there are computers
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
the way i understand it goes something like this: if the fine is not paid within 30 days your name is entered into the sundance tabernacle scoff law data base. commonly known in the utah courts as the s.t.s.l.d.b. or std for short.
once your name is registered with the std you can expect daily visits by very polite cleancut young men in pressed shirts and ties and riding bicycles to appear on your doorstep at the most innoppotune times. they will try to persuade you to drop what you're doing and go with them traveling the globe, knocking on other people's doors at innoppurtune times.
if this sort of thing appeals to you, well so be it. if not. then they get really nasty and send donny and marie osmond to sing at your next birthday......my advice would be to pay the ticket immediately!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
True. A few years ago my daughter got a speeding in Virginia. After a couple of weeks she was contacted by no less than two law firms that offered (for a substantial fee) to "represent" her, and get the charge reduced to a lesser violation (reduced fine, and no points). The offers and fees from these firms were nearly identical. She took the offer because she didn't want to go back to Virginia, and she already had enough points.

Speeding, for instance, was a flat $25 mail-in fine (plus mandatory court processing costs), and no points were assessed. I had a problem with feeding the insurance company's cash cow. Consequently, I can't recall anyone ever contesting a speeding ticket.

I had a similar situation in Iowa many years ago. The state trooper who gave me the ticket reduced the speed violation from 10 mph to 7 so I wouldn't have to appear in court. The ticket came with an envelope and the fine was $25. Since I was headed out on vacation (prior to trailering), I thanked him for the consideration and promptly mailed in the fine once I reached my destination.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post

As an enforcement officer, I had a rather unique situation in my state. We had authority to enforce all state laws/codes. We also had regulations that mirrored most state laws and, in most situations, the discretion to chose between the two. The Attorney General at the time, had a problem with us having this discretion, so I developed some guidelines (a rather complex matrix) for when we would use state code and regulation, which seemed to satisfy them. One of the things I decided, was to enforce most traffic violations under our regulations. Speeding, for instance, was a flat $25 mail-in fine (plus mandatory court processing costs), and no points were assessed. I had a problem with feeding the insurance company's cash cow. Consequently, I can't recall anyone ever contesting a speeding ticket.

In the 1960s in De. you had to follow the trooper to the JP and pay up. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I keep postage stamps and a pen in all vehicles at all times and never travel without my checkbook. And there is cash under a floor mat.

Nearly the worst words you heard after the Officer(s) returns to your vehicle the second time during a traffic stop is...

"In reciprocity with the State of....".

Been there, a gift from my first wife, ticket/envelope/check were not mailed, I had been driving six weeks for a FOTF's delivery company on a suspended license without knowing.... on a Friday night had an Officer observe a headlight burn out passing over road repair steel plates () but luckily had another licensed driver along which kept the vehicle from being impounded. Took another three weeks-plus to get my license reinstated.

Equally embarrassing might well be being rejected at the Canadian Border.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I had a similar situation in Iowa many years ago. The state trooper who gave me the ticket reduced the speed violation from 10 mph to 7 so I wouldn't have to appear in court. The ticket came with an envelope and the fine was $25. Since I was headed out on vacation (prior to trailering), I thanked him for the consideration and promptly mailed in the fine once I reached my destination.
Jack

Back in the day, we referred to that practice as a 'roadside plea bargain'. Some officers would discretely write your actual speed, and circle it, at the bottom of the ticket so if you decided to challenge it after they cut you the break, they and the court would have an unofficial record the actual speed.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote