Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Our Upcoming TX Trips

So just got through making some reservations. Wish I could plan out December too but we're being good and going to wait and see what everyone's Christmas Party schedule is. So here's the plans:

10/28 - 10/30 Mill Creek at Sam Rayburn
11/11 - 11/13 Mill Creek at Sam Rayburn (Piney Woods Rally)
11/25 - 11/27 Double Lake Rec Area in Coldspring

And thinking about where to go for New Years. Probably back to Double Lake for a 4 or 5 day trip.

Maybe Huntsville in December as well.

What about the rest of you TX streamers? Gotta love that while everyone else on the forum is talking about winterizing we're just getting started!

Anyone happen to match up with our trips? What's your plans?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
So just got through making some reservations. Wish I could plan out December too but we're being good and going to wait and see what everyone's Christmas Party schedule is. So here's the plans:

10/28 - 10/30 Mill Creek at Sam Rayburn
11/11 - 11/13 Mill Creek at Sam Rayburn (Piney Woods Rally)
11/25 - 11/27 Double Lake Rec Area in Coldspring

And thinking about where to go for New Years. Probably back to Double Lake for a 4 or 5 day trip.

Maybe Huntsville in December as well.

What about the rest of you TX streamers? Gotta love that while everyone else on the forum is talking about winterizing we're just getting started!

Anyone happen to match up with our trips? What's your plans?

Looks like your taking a pre Mill Creek Trip during the end of October.
You trying to start early?
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Looks like your taking a pre Mill Creek Trip during the end of October.
You trying to start early?
We figured why not. Go scope it out. Couldn't decide where else to go that was close and easy. We were going to do another Double Lake biking trip but they're booked up. My wife's been wanting to go and fish somewhere.

You know, just trying to get the jump on everybody.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
fredericksburg texas has a great night christmas parade I think its friday dec 2nd its a great parade..ck out local chamber for me info.
fbgairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Meet

Quote:
We figured why not. Go scope it out. Couldn't decide where else to go that was close and easy. We were going to do another Double Lake biking trip but they're booked up. My wife's been wanting to go and fish somewhere.

You know, just trying to get the jump on everybody.
There's lots of great campgrounds around Rayburn. Mill Creek is just one of my childhood favorites. I camped there with my grandparents and fished the lake with my Dad for the time I was old enough to hold a fishing pole.

I fly out of Vietnam on the 27th (if everything goes ok) and should be home on the 28th. If its ok with you, and Im not suffering from jet lag, maybe Mrs. S and I can ride up on the 29th for a visit.
I could tell or show you a couple nice parks around the lake.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I love Fredericksburg. My absolute favorite burger is at Hondos. They have a burger with queso on it that is to die for. I think they call it the TexMex Burger. Add guacamole to it and a cold Shiner and it can't be beat.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
There's lots of great campgrounds around Rayburn. Mill Creek is just one of my childhood favorites. I camped there with my grandparents and fished the lake with my Dad for the time I was old enough to hold a fishing pole.

I fly out of Vietnam on the 27th (if everything goes ok) and should be home on the 28th. If its ok with you, and Im not suffering from jet lag, maybe Mrs. S and I can ride up on the 29th for a visit.
I could tell or show you a couple nice parks around the lake.
Definitely. If you feel up to it come on by.

I spent a lot of time growing up not far from there. I grew up in Beaumont and my family was on a Temple Inland hunting lease just south of Spurger for years and years. Grew up running the dirt roads around there.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbgairstream View Post
fredericksburg texas has a great night christmas parade I think its friday dec 2nd its a great parade..ck out local chamber for me info.
Do you know if you can camp at Luckenbach? I'm pretty sure I've seen trailers there before but not positive.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sounds Good

Quote:
Definitely. If you feel up to it come on by.

I spent a lot of time growing up not far from there. I grew up in Beaumont and my family was on a Temple Inland hunting lease just south of Spurger for years and years. Grew up running the dirt roads around there.

Sounds Good! Ill contact you when it gets closer to time and give you a for sure answer.
Glad to see you jumping out there and enjoying that new Airstream
Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Do you know if you can camp at Luckenbach? I'm pretty sure I've seen trailers there before but not positive.
There is a KOA on US290 fairly close to Lukenbach. Probably the best option if you want to get close by..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
The KOA is a decent campground and close to Luckenbach & Fredericksburg. While you are in the area take a drive thru Benini Art area. Outdoor metal sculptures. Very interesting and they also Haney indoor area. It's off of Rt 290 going towards Johnson City.
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84

Sounds Good! Ill contact you when it gets closer to time and give you a for sure answer.
Glad to see you jumping out there and enjoying that new Airstream
Well doesn't look like we're going to make it this weekend. The dealer would have to pull off a miracle tomorrow and I don't think they're even gonna try. I'll let you know if something changes but doesn't look good.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Anyone been to Cleburne State Park outside of Dallas? It is listed in this months Backpacker Magazine as a top local hike. Have to add it to the list.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
LEONARD , Texas
We've done Beavers Bend, Tyler SP, and Dinosaur Valley SP this fall. Enjoyed all three and will be headed back to Beavers Bend soon. It's not in TX but it's close and so pretty.
reddoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sorry

Quote:
Well doesn't look like we're going to make it this weekend. The dealer would have to pull off a miracle tomorrow and I don't think they're even gonna try. I'll let you know if something changes but doesn't look good.

Sorry hate to hear that, if anything changes just let me know. Hope they get you fixed up.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
The weekend of December 9 there is a rally in Blanco that you may be interested in. Blanco State Park is full but there are a bunch of us staying down the road at Blanco Settlement.

We'd love to have you join us!

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Thumbs up

We're headed to Possum Kingdom State Park this weekend, where we managed to snag a couple of lakefront spots ... I'll be interested to see how the recent wildfires have affected the park. According to the ranger we talked with, the park's primitive spots were hit the hardest.

Can't wait to hitch up and spend the weekend outdoors, although the next two days at work are shot for me with anticipation/online browsing/list making ... Happy travels!

If anyone happens to be in the area, stop on by and have a cup of coffee ... we'll be the ones in the '65 Globetrotter with babies and dogs running around.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie
The weekend of December 9 there is a rally in Blanco that you may be interested in. Blanco State Park is full but there are a bunch of us staying down the road at Blanco Settlement.

We'd love to have you join us!

Lynn
Wish we could. Looks like the family Christmas party is that Saturday. Thank you for the invite.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Hate to hear you have to cancel. No one likes to do that. We will be heading up to Alamo Fiesta RV park in Boerne for Thanksgiving weekend. Chance to get away and a couple kids and grandkids will be dragging their popup as well. Feel free to swing by and say hello if you are out and about. We have never been there but State parks were full (we waited too long I guess)
Then we will be in Blanco for the little get together lcurrie mentioned above. Good time of year for us down in the lower half...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Ronnie - I seem to rmember there being some kind of RV facility "near" Lukenbach, but it's been a while. I'd go on to Fredericksburg, which does book up to full in winter so make your reservations soon as you can. Lukenbach is maybe 30 minutes or less away, and if there is no live music going on, plan on no more than 90 minutes at most. Fredericksburg is a fun town, a great Christmas celebration, good shopping, a brew pub / restaurant that is lots of fun also. I'd also strongly suggest a trip over to Jounson City (LBJ's birthpllace & locaction of he & Ladybird's family cemetary & ranch, which is now a state park & normally open for tourism) & the Christmas lights display at the local electric utility (PEC). This being Texas after all, I'm told they string well over 750,000 lights up in the HUGE old oak trees. You can see the place from a good distance just from the lights glowing off the atmosphere. I'd bet it's visable from space!! Horse drawn buggy rides are available from the town square to the light display, mostly for kids & I think too expensive for the amount of time you are actually in the coach. Might be fun tho if you've never ridden in a horse drawn carriage.