Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Our Summer U.S. Tour

We finally have our itinerary, which we had to bump up a month, as the Army decided to send me to Fort Huachuca for school in July, so I can get promoted to SFC. Here is a rundown of where we'll be:

New Lisbon Family Campground, Straughn, IN on 15 Jun
Lawrence/Kansas City KOA, Lawrence, KS on 16 Jun
Alamosa KOA, Alamosa, CO on 17 Jun
Century RV Park, Ogden, UT on 18 Jun
Idaho for 12 days
Kenanna RV Park, Grayland, WA for 2 days, 01 and 02 Jul
Oceanside RV Park, Coos Bay, OR for 2 days, 03 and 04 Jul
Campers Inn RV & Golf Resort, Dunnigan, CA on 05 Jul
Marina Dunes RV Park, Marina, CA on 06 Jul
Oceanside RV Park, Oceanside, CA on 07 Jul

From Malibu, we're heading to Quartzite, AZ and then on to Phoenix, to visit with some of Brooke's friends. After that, we'll be in Fort Huachuca from 13 July until 08 September. Brooke will be taking the Airstream and the kids back early, since school starts on the 28th of August. I'll fly home on Southwest.

Hope to see some of you on the road!

Frederic & Brooke

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Frederic sounds like a great trip and so well planned out. Let us know how it goes and show lots of pictures.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Drop me a line when you're getting close to Phoenix so we get together and can share a meal. We're in north Phoenix just off I-17. Whereabouts are Brooke's friends?

Looks like you'll be working on that colorful horizontal stripe on your avatar, at least the western part.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Frederic,

Have you ever tried towing 700 miles in one day?

With kids?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quartzsite could easily be 118 degrees or higher that time of year. If you go north about 35 miles to Parker, there's a nice county park with hookups for about $20 per night and it is right on the river where you can take a refreshing swim.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Quartzsite could easily be 118 degrees or higher that time of year.
Not only that, but there's absolutely *nothing* going on in Quartzsite during the summer...it's close to being a ghost town then (I know...we live in Quartzsite during the winter). The time to be there is in January.

10-day forecast for Quartzsite, AZ
elh3946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
If the summer heat in Phoenix is too much for you, you can drive about 80 miles north to Payson where it is much more comfortable that time of year. Payson is considerably higher in altitude and thus much cooler, maybe as much as 15-20 degrees cooler. Phoenix can be 114 and Payson 92 degrees. If the monsoons have kicked in, there are wonderful sights to enjoy watching the afternoon thunderstorms. In Payson, they're up close and crystal clear and won't appear quite like what you are used to.

If you decide on Payson, there's a USFS campground on the north edge of town that is quite nice. Stay on the road from Mesa and go straight thru Payson headed north. On the north edge of Payson just as the highway goes from 4 lane to 2 lane, make a right then make the first left into the campground.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Brad, I'll let you know when I'm in Phoenix. Brooke's friends are in Maricopa.

Mark, none of my stretches are 700 miles....the most I'll tow in a day is about 600 and change and, yes, I have towed with the kids. That's what makes it a great trip. Besides, I have the factory DVD player in the Ram!

Becky, I will definitely take lots of pictures and post them.

Bob and elh, we're not going to Quartzsite (sorry for the previous misspelling) for any attractions. We just want to stay there for the night and then head out the next morning. I have to be at Fort Huachuca by the 13th of July, in order to start my class.

Frederic & Brooke

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hey everyone... This is my first official "thread" on the Airstream forum, reporting to you from New Lisbon Camp Ground, New Lisbon IN. Our first day was a breeze. Frederic fibbed to me telling me he wanted to leave MD by 7am so that we would actually be on the road by 8am... his plan worked like a charm! We arrived at the camp ground, after having dinner, at 6pm. An easy 10 hour day... The kids loved the camp site.

Were off again today headed towards Lawrence KOA, in Lawrence KS. A bit behind schedule but having a blast none the less.

More later as it happens...

Brooke Lynes
Co-pilot extraordinaire

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 06-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the From the Road report. Hope you have safe travels and all your future days go as well as your first. Drop me a line when you get to town.

SYDTR

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
If you like history.....

Stop at Ft Learned (sp?) in KS which is a calvery fort on the Santa Fe trail, and better yet; Bents Fort, and adobe trading post in south east colorado. there is a picture from bents fort in my photogalleries

http://www.pbase.com/professor_chaos/image/32866044

here is an artsy fartsy one that gives an idea of the landscape

http://www.pbase.com/professor_chaos/image/34083928

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
My turn to post this morning. Yesterday we left the New Lisbon Campground (Good Sam endorsed) and headed out. We figured that, since it was going to be a short day (400 and some odd miles), that we could take it easy. We stopped at an "Antique Mall" off of I-70, somewhere in Illinois. Brooke and I enjoy stopping and looking at these kinds of things, but we were a bit disappointed with what we saw. Out of the entire 10,500 sq ft bldg, we found a glass stem flower that was really pretty, but it was too expensive. The rest of the stuff looked kinda like Sanford & Son.

We saw several Airstreams along the way. The first was actually a Squarestream traveling East, which caught me by surprise, since I'd never seen any in real life before. The next was a mid-60's Ambassador or Sovereign (couldn't exactly pull out the tape measure), also traveling East.

At a rest stop we saw an old couple with an Avion. It was in really good shape, but I couldn't say what kind or year it was.

In Illinois, we were driving along, and we passed a rest stop with two beautiful triple axles. One was a Limited, and the other an Excella 1000, I'm pretty sure. I couldn't pull over in time to get to the rest stop ramp, so I slowed down to 55MPH with the hope that they'd catch up. At this point, Brooke is convinced that I'm insane, I'm sure of it....

I kept looking in the side view mirrors, but didn't see them. Michael decided that he had to go potty again (that kid can go twice in an hour!), so I took an off ramp to a gas station. As I was crossing the overpass, I see both triple axles coming up the road.....ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! So I figure, okay, I can rush Mikey in, let him pee real quick, get back on the road and catch up to them. Well, they must have been boogieing, because I had the cruise set to 70MPH and never caught up to them....added to that, we got hit with traffic in Saint Louis. Brooke asked me, "So what were you going to do, once you caught up to them?" I answered with, "Wave to them." "So you're going to drive 70MPH just to wave?"

She doesn't get it. Then again, I'm not sure I do either, but I see another Airstream on the road, and I always get excited. Today we're on our way to Alamosa, CO. More to follow....

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hello again, from the road. Yesterday was our long day. We left Lawrence, KS (beautiful KOA, by the way) and headed out on I-70. We took Hwy 156 and headed off the beaten path. What a beautiful drive! From 156, we went to Hwy 56 and passed through Larned, KS. Rodney, that is definitely God's Country out there. We didn't stop at Fort Larned, but we did stop at a rest stop, near a railroad crossing, for about an hour and played with the kids on the teeter totter. I did make one gigantic mistake, though. We had to stop for fuel, and I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the Agri Diesel pump was right next to the regular Diesel pump. Well, by the time I realized it, it was too late. So we set out and within 5 minutes I immediately noticed a difference for the worse. We never went above 11.7MPG.

I ran the tank down to empty and filled up again in La Junta, CO, this time paying attention to the Diesel pump and adding a bottle of Power Service to the tank as well. Again, within 5 minutes we noticed a difference. We jumped up to 16MPG. We headed out on Hwy 10, towards Walsenburg, CO. At Walsenburg, we took Hwy 160 to Alamosa. Again, it was a beautiful drive, and one I had only ever done in the winter. The Dodge performed flawlessly up La Veta Pass. We got in to the Alamosa KOA at 9:20 PM and were greeted by the owner, who had kept the shop open for us (a very nice gesture, I thought). We did run into one problem, though. I had prepaid for full hookup, but the owner informed me that all of the full hookups had already been taken. He did give us a $10.01 discount on our site, which I thought was reasonable. We used "Little Boy Blue", and it worked quite well.

Today we're off to see our 5.36 acres just up the road, near the Sand Dunes National Park, and then we're heading to Ogden, UT for the night.

More to follow,

Frederic & Brooke

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Good morning from sunny & hot Moab UT. Frederic is up cooking me breakfast for a change while I lounge looking at the amazing red rocks of the Utah desert landscape.

We spent yesterday coming in from Alamosa and were expecting to set camp up in Ogden. However, with a stop here and a stop there we were about 3.5 hours behind schedule. We went wading in the iciest cold river surrounded by pines that smelled amazing. Something the "structured" campsites cant compare to. The kids were a smile a minute with there amazment of the views that normaly only adults seem to appreciate.

So after breakfast its off to my parents back yard in Nampa ID. We hope anyway, because Renee' and I both have hair appointments with my old stylist tomorrow. LOL

Thanks for reading and praying for this wonderful family of 4 in this 31' silver "Palace" for the next 3 months.

Brooke Lynes

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 06-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Well, we're in Cascade, ID this evening. We have spent the last several days at Brooke's parents' house, in Nampa, ID. We wanted to have a gettogether, along with Brooke's sister and her two boys, for Brooke's mother's birthday. Brooke's parents have a Monaco Class C motorhome, and we caravanned up here. It took us about two and a half hours to get here, at Water's Edge RV Park. What a beautiful area. The Payette River, as well as the Snake River, is running really high. We'll be up here until Sunday, then back down to Nampa for a few days. We're leaving Idaho on the 30th and heading up to McKenna RV Park, in Oceanside, WA for two days, then down to Coos Bay, OR for the 4th. I don't know if we'll pass by the Intl. Rally, but it'd be neat to see it. That's all for now.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hello from Cascade again. This is our last day here. Brooke is making snocones for the kids. We all went fishing yesterday, for Rainbow Trout. I spent the better part of eight hours in the great outdoors, enjoying the scenery, not really caring if I caught anything or not. Incidentally, I didn't catch a thing, with the exception of a pretty bad sunburn. We got back to the Sovereign at around 6:45 PM, and I was feeling nauseous, so I layed down on the couch. Brooke put a blanket on me, because I was shivering, and I dozed off a bit.

THIS PART IS A WAKE UP CALL FOR ALL PARENTS:

Brooke and I had assumed that Michael was over at her parents' motorhome. At around 9:00 PM, Brooke called for Michael, so she could give him his bath, but there was no answer. Again, we thought that he was over at her parents' motorhome. At 9:30, a group of people came over to our campsite, with Michael crying, asking us if he was our son. It turns out that Michael had managed to get into a canoe and push off into the Payette River (we're still trying to figure out how a six-year old had the strength to do it). The canoe drifted into the river and to the bridge. People heard his cries for help, and a boy from the Church group here at the campground dove in to the water and pulled him to safety.

The lesson learned here is never assume that your child is somewhere safe. Brooke & I were very fortunate that Michael's canoe didn't flip over. Even with his limited swimming skills, he would have drowned. We couldn't imagine our lives without that little guy. He and Renee are our life. Michael has Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which mirrors Autism, so he didn't understand that he could have been hurt.

I feel like I am the worst parent in the world right now. Brooke & I are extremely protective of Michael, but we will be doubly so now.

In the hope that our future camping experiences are happier,

Frederic & Brooke

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371