Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
it is ruff, mainly because of the dog.....if we were alone, we could just go to a movie, a mall or out to eat...but Bandit cannot accompany us there and there is no way he could pass as a service dog......Also, I am afraid to leave Bandit alone in the trailer with the airconditioner on.....on Monday at Jackson Center, the power went out at 4:30 pm just after a shift change and was out for 2 1/2 hours.....it quickly got up to the high 90's inside our silver bullet. Had we left him and gone to dinner, I am afraid he would not have survived.
Hi, Paula. We are also traveling with a dog [Dusty] and in cold weather he could be left alone in the trailer for about four hours max. We had to take a 12 hour bus tour seperately. Lee on the first day and I went the next day. We planned another tour on a boat and it was an all day trip. Too long to leave Dusty alone. It was suggested that we talk to the people in the camp ground office and see about a dog sitter. Well we did that and it worked out great. Dusty loved the dog sitter and we had a worry free boat tour.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Greetings from Ojai! It sounds like you're having some great experiences, Paula! And to see the g'kids is pure frosting on the cake...enjoy! ps - we have some friends spending the summer in Petrosky and they have spoken very highly of the area. Keep those photos and blogs coming!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #83
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not sure where you are going, but we liked Duluth. There are some good restaurants in the area near the lift bridge. There's a public campground—I think the city owns it—south of downtown along a river (St. Louis R. maybe) that was nice.

I hope that cut is healing well.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Doggie Day Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Paula. We are also traveling with a dog [Dusty] and in cold weather he could be left alone in the trailer for about four hours max. We had to take a 12 hour bus tour seperately. Lee on the first day and I went the next day. We planned another tour on a boat and it was an all day trip. Too long to leave Dusty alone. It was suggested that we talk to the people in the camp ground office and see about a dog sitter. Well we did that and it worked out great. Dusty loved the dog sitter and we had a worry free boat tour.
Hi Robert, yes, we are learning a lot about Doggie Day Care and Kennels for Bandit....Yesterday in a Machinaw City Campground there was a day care facility 300 yards from us....we dropped Bandit off at 9 am and caught the ferry to Machinaw Island with our friends and bikes......had a great day and made it back before 6 pm to pick up Bandit.......sometimes we have to board him overnight because we have early meetings or dinner engagements and so far, have been lucky to have found some what seem to be very nice care facilities for our dog......it is a learning experience for us...we take dog walk breaks, travel with his food, water and shot records all the time....and we have found KOAs have Bark Parks that are really nice for an active boxer......finding campgrounds with fenced dog runs are huge---maybe even more important than full hookups....then nice to have laundry......we have now been on the road over 2 months........and the weather is nice here in Northern Michigan....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Petoskey....& Harbor Springs are nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Greetings from Ojai! It sounds like you're having some great experiences, Paula! And to see the g'kids is pure frosting on the cake...enjoy! ps - we have some friends spending the summer in Petrosky and they have spoken very highly of the area. Keep those photos and blogs coming!
Yes, the grandchildren break was wonderful.....what a treat to find them in Michigan along with our friends, Mary Lea and Ken....after saying goodbye to the kids we headed north (they headed back to Detroit and home to Malibu) to Mackinaw City, Mackinaw Bridge, Sault Ste. Marie to see the Soo Locks, Mackinaw Island with bikes, day care for Bandit and today we drove down a very scenic drive called Tunnel of Trees Rte. 119 south of Mackinaw City, through Harbor Springs and we are currently in Petoskey......beautiful area.....could stay here longer but tomorrow we are going to Traverse City.....

The weather is brisk and partly cloudy....very nice.....the lakes are beautiful...we searched for Petoskey rocks today with no luck.....lots of great Whitefish and walleye.....this is such a nice place....I can understand northern Michigan a lot more now that we have explored here......it was so nice to have our friends, Mary Lea and Ken show us their favorite places....they lived in the Detroit areas for many years and vacationed in N MI.......Petoskey is one of their favorite places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michigan 188.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	137268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michigan 191.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	137269  

Name:	Michigan 204.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	137270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michigan 220.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	137271  

Name:	Michigan 224.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	137272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michigan 232.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	137273  

Name:	Michigan 115.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	137274  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Hi Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Not sure where you are going, but we liked Duluth. There are some good restaurants in the area near the lift bridge. There's a public campground—I think the city owns it—south of downtown along a river (St. Louis R. maybe) that was nice.

I hope that cut is healing well.

Gene
We are going to Madison, WI and Minneapolis, MN....will have to check a map for Duluth....we are really enjoying NW Michigan right now.....windy so no skeeters.....thanks for asking and yes, the cut is healing well....

We are staying in a city park in Petoskey.....called Magnus Municipal Park....a real find....right on the lake sort of.....nothing fancy but full hookups and a great view.....nice big grassy sites.....a real find...and a good place to search for Petoskey rocks.....so I am told.....paula
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Michigan 233.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	137276  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Malibu grandkids in Michigan

Here is my grandchildren fix.....we just happened to find each other in Michigan....Cedar Lake in Oscoda.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grandkids in Oscoda.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	137351  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #88
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
That one in the middle is gonna be a firecracker.... I can tell!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Sand dunes and old growth pine trees

Today took us to Northpoint Lighthouse, Leland for a great lunch at the Blue Bird Cafe, Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and Hartwick State Park to see old growth white and red pines......too tired to post photos will try tomorrow....just love N Michigan especially north of the 45th Parallel. Can we take N MI home with us?

cherries anyone? Roads not bad....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #90
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Cherries sound really good. I want to see those pics.. get some rest!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Chicago for now

We are in Fish Beach Campground in Volo, IL....there is a really cool Auto Museum here....really tempted to pick up a 1951 Chevy vintage tow vehicle....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Illinois 041.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	137909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Illinois 028.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	137910  

Name:	Illinois 044.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	137911  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Minneapolis campground recommendation

We go to Madison, WI on Sunday and then on to Minneapolis. Anyone have a suggestion for a campground near to Minneapolis?

Also for Omaha, NE....??????thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #93
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
We had reservations in Nebraska City at Victorian Acres (about a 45 minutes drive from Omaha). We could not find a full hookup campsite closer than that in Omaha.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Will check it out....thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
We had reservations in Nebraska City at Victorian Acres (about a 45 minutes drive from Omaha). We could not find a full hookup campsite closer than that in Omaha.
Thanks so much......after about 8000 miles I am beginning to get dopey.....or loopy....not sure which....

The vintage autos here in Volo, IL are something else, and for sale.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dream Truck 1951.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	564.7 KB
ID:	137932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Illinois 027.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	137933  

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #95
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Thanks so much......after about 8000 miles I am beginning to get dopey.....or loopy....not sure which....

The vintage autos here in Volo, IL are something else, and for sale.......
man those are some sweet cars. I quit counting the miles... that's shawn's job!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #96
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Miles to go before I sleep and Chain O Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
man those are some sweet cars. I quit counting the miles... that's shawn's job!
I just know that 400+ miles is a long day, 250 miles is a good pace, 190 miles is a piece of cake......however if it is bloody hot outside, being cooped up in an airconditioned truck is not so terrible.....I keep reminding myself of how Lewis and Clark made their trip.

The weather in the Chicago area has been great....Today is another speech, tomorrow relatives, Saturday is a speech and Sunday to Madison.

We found an excellent dogsitter here in the Fish Lake Beach Campground for Bandit.....that is huge....plus full hookups.....

We checked out Chain 0 Lakes State Park yesterday past Fox Lake and it was practically empty....they have E only but it was eerie it was so empty--but it was mid week....maybe they fill up on the weekends...
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Paula P....for the Land of 10,000 Lakes, campgrounds are quite sparse around the Twin Cities. The only one I am familiar with, and we have stayed at in Gus, is St. Paul East Campground, which is actually located in Woodbury. WiFi stinks unless you're sitting at a table next to the office. Now, if you get outside of the cities, there are a lot of great camping sites....and muchos 'skeeters abound! Hang in there, Cali is on the horizon!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Thumbs up We found a KOA that has a Bark Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Paula P....for the Land of 10,000 Lakes, campgrounds are quite sparse around the Twin Cities. The only one I am familiar with, and we have stayed at in Gus, is St. Paul East Campground, which is actually located in Woodbury. WiFi stinks unless you're sitting at a table next to the office. Now, if you get outside of the cities, there are a lot of great camping sites....and muchos 'skeeters abound! Hang in there, Cali is on the horizon!
You have to wonder about people that choose a campground because of the Bark Park.......but we have found a KOA near Madison....not sure what it will be like but we have found the KOAs to generally be fine....Maybe not 7 Feathers luxury but they generally have full hookups, pull throughs, laundry and the best part is the Bark Park.....gives Bandit a place to romp.....

Now we are racking up points with KOA.....whatever will we do with KOA points? Not sure we can fly KOA......or is that KLM?

Chicago bound today......weather is sunny and nice....oh, and we are still in Volo and can still pick up a Vintage truck if the boss okays....
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, how many of those nice cars did you buy and are being shipped to your home? Glad you found a good dog sitter for Bandit; On our trip we only had to hire one for Dusty, but it sure was a relief, knowing that we could take a tour and not worry about him. One more stop on the way home and our random trip will be over.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
1951 Chevy

[QUOTE=ROBERTSUNRUS;1034000] Hi, how many of those nice cars did you buy and are being shipped to your home? Glad you found a good dog sitter for Bandit; On our trip we only had to hire one for Dusty, but it sure was a relief, knowing that we could take a tour and not worry about him. One more stop on the way home and our random trip will be over. [/QUOT

So far we have resisted the urge to have a vintage tow vehicle to tow our vintage trailer but we haven't departed volo yet.

The lady in our park is in love with Bandit. Think the feeling is mutual. We have another couple of weeks. P
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593