Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #161
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
The government run parks do not tolerate dogs anywhere it seems. Maybe too many folks didn't pick up the poop. We travel with poop bags. Dog on a leash......we are very respectful of the environment and others. paula

I watched a ranger (online) talking about dogs in Yellowstone. He said that having your pets on the trail could actually cause a wild animal to attack you or your pet. Most of the Rangers in the programs we've attended have stated it's because having pets constantly in the parks can change the natural behaviors of wild animals. But who knows....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #162
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Pets in Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
I watched a ranger (online) talking about dogs in Yellowstone. He said that having your pets on the trail could actually cause a wild animal to attack you or your pet. Most of the Rangers in the programs we've attended have stated it's because having pets constantly in the parks can change the natural behaviors of wild animals. But who knows....
I had not thought of that and I guess where there are grizzlies, that makes a lot of sense.....and perhaps where there are mountain lions as well.....but we have hiked all over the Sierras with people with dogs.....dogs that carry their own backpacks......so I guess it is an interesting issue......like life, there are always two sides to everything. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #163
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some people train dogs and some dogs train people. The latter are those who think dogs are little humans. Dogs are a lot like us, but they are still a different species with different ways of living and hierarchies. It is the people that are the problem and the result of untrained dogs and the people they control is lots of rules for those with trained dogs. Park Service lands are especially difficult for dogs—can't bring them places and may be unwise to leave them in a truck or car.

Long ago dogs were used in NYC bars to protect them and there has been a long tradition of dogs and cats in NYC bars. Now the health department is kicking them out though there haven't been problems. I do know of 2 restaurants on Grand Mesa, Colo., that are dog friendly.

We don't have a dog because I was dumb enough to say it was ok to get a cat 11 years ago. If we got a dog, the cat would hide for the rest of his life. But it has become difficult to take a dog places and that also makes it less likely to get a dog. I have had dogs and cats together and they always got along, but this cat is not like those cats were.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Dogs training people

I agree with you about dogs training people. Our boxer is a rescue boxer and he has been a challenge for me. We have had 3 trainers and with each of them, Bandit was a model dog. But with us, he frequently lunges unexpectedly ...........a huge no no....so I am always on alert and keep him on a rather short leash. I think he is wanting to play but we can't take that chance. At every doggie day care he went to on the trip, he received glowing reports and was welcome to return......non aggressive totally. So what is the deal when we are quietly walking along and he sees a cat or a bird or sometimes another dog behind a fence, does he think he can sprint for it?

He also is especially interested in jumping on children....another huge NO NO. So when there are any kids around I am on extreme alert.....again he has never snarled or bitten anyone but I am hoping his puppy behavior calms down soon.

Your cat would not be happy with our dog. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #165
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our cat would not be happy with any dog. He tolerates me, likes women. There is a 3rd type of dog—one mistreated. Ranchers and farmers often use dogs for work. That's fine because many dogs like to be useful and work. But too many of them treat them badly and when they can't use them anymore, shoot them or abandon them somewhere. This is one source of rescue dogs around here and those dogs have been so traumatized (dog PTSD I suppose) it is hard to retrain them to trust people. That is especially sad and hard for the people who rescue the dog as well.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #166
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
That is really sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Our cat would not be happy with any dog. He tolerates me, likes women. There is a 3rd type of dog—one mistreated. Ranchers and farmers often use dogs for work. That's fine because many dogs like to be useful and work. But too many of them treat them badly and when they can't use them anymore, shoot them or abandon them somewhere. This is one source of rescue dogs around here and those dogs have been so traumatized (dog PTSD I suppose) it is hard to retrain them to trust people. That is especially sad and hard for the people who rescue the dog as well.

Gene
We don't know what went on with our boxer before he was rescued by the Boxer Rescue folks from a LA city pound. We are not even sure if he is 100% boxer although he looks like it. He is handsome. But he had not been neutered, dew claw declawed, tail cropped (we are happy he has his tail) nor had any training at all. He was afraid to go up our open staircase the first night we had him. Ed had to patiently coax him up one stair at a time with treats. We suspect he was someone's back yard dog....he has super duper separation anxiety.....has chewed some pricey things.....anyway....he is a sweetheart....and deserves a good life. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593