Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Our new addiction

As I stated in my Member introduction, this is my first RV of any type. My wife and I spent a lot of time considering several different options for travel trailers. Ultimately, we couldn't get the idea of and Airstream out of our heads, so we ended up buying one.

Unfortunately for us, we bought it at the end of the season for going camping in Alaska where we live. As I mentioned in my Member introduction post, I picked up my trailer from the port of Anchorage just last Tuesday. We were pretty excited and decided to take it out on an adventure before it has to be parked for the winter.

So, we packed it up and took off out of Anchorage after I got off work on Friday. Heading down the Kenai Peninsula with our first stop in Skilak Lake. The drive was awesome, I was pleased how well my F150 handled the trailer. I would say that for most circumstances a properly equipped half ton truck can easily accommodate the load of the 25 foot trailer as long as you don't go too crazy loading up the bed of your truck with lots of other toys.

We didn't get out of town until close to 7 PM. In the summer in Alaska, that is no big deal since it stays light until....well lets just say it stays light. The weather was decent for our departure:

By the time we got to the lake, it was dark. So we got things set up and hit the rack. I found the bed surprisingly comfortable! It was nice to be camping in something that provided heat since the temp dipped into the lower 30's that night. We had a little light rain over night, then in the morning there was a little ice.

We went with some friends who brought along who brought along his home made drift boat. The day was spent catching loads of beautiful Rainbow Trout and Dolly Varden. As the evening arrived, the weather cleared up some more and treated us to a beautiful sunset:

To be continued.....

Alaska Reflector | Linking the world togther via Amatuer Radio and IRLP…Come early, stay late…

Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
F150 with max tow package? All you really need. I have the super crew F150 4X4 pulling a 24' Argosy. Love the drift boat.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
We're glad you got to use it before storing for the winter. Now the days ahead until your next outing will pass with visions of great outings running through your head with plenty of time to research all those desired destinations.

Welcome to the forums!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Refugee from Napa, CA
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
That drift boat is gorgeous!!!!!!!

Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Congratulations I love Alaska in the summer. I'm not too sure I could handle the dark of winter, tho.

Please continue with your story. Don' forget those gorgeous pictures.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Ok, for some reason, I can't find an edit button for my post to fix a few things. Although, I haven't spent much time looking for one either!

As I was saying earlier, we had a great time fishing followed by a beautiful evening. Here is one of the Dolly Varden that I caught:

This was the view as we headed back in to the camp:

When we got up in the morning, we were greeted by severe clear with blue skies. I mentioned to my wife that it would sure be nice to spend another day, maybe traveling down to Homer.

To my surprise, she called her boss and requested an additional day off! So, off to Homer we went:

The weather in Homer was FANTASTIC. It had been some time since I drove all 240+ miles to the Homer spit. But it was in the 50's with NO WIND! Homer always seems to have a breeze blowing, but this was completely calm. My son enjoyed the beach combing, finding all sorts of shells, rocks and driftwood. As of evening, we had a great sunset to look at out of our dinette.

From the other direction:

Come the morning it was time to go. On the way out, I had to move out of the way for another trailer that almost had me rethinking my recent purchase! I don't think I have anywhere near enough money to afford this toy!!! A freshly painted Turbine Otter!

One more stop before heading home was Anchor Point. You get such a good view of all three volcanoes there. This one happens to be Illiamna.

Keep an eye out for my winterizing post. I am just finishing up, ready for the long winter's nap.

Alaska Reflector | Linking the world togther via Amatuer Radio and IRLP…Come early, stay late…

Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
After some technical difficulties, I think my post is working now!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Roger that, your posts look great. Thanks for sharing!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote