Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I laughed out loud, Vaughan!!! But no--you had the most hair at AoA, too (out of you, Gene & Steve).

And speaking of hair, nice shot of the part in mine... !

It was a fun day!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
I laughed out loud, Vaughan!!!

And speaking of hair, nice shot of the part in mine... !

It was a fun day!

Susan
This was a more flattering shot of either of you than my first one. You had this odd scrunched frown and Chris had his eyes closed. You both owe me for not putting that one up! I wouldn’t do that to friends.

It really was a lot of fun!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I'll slip you that $20 later!

Susan

Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey

I have plenty of hair!!!!!!!

Looks like the centrail AS mafia has been meeting all kinds of folks and making all kinds of friends.

Nice to see Vaughn and Susan using that C.A.M charm.

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet True

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey

I have plenty of hair!!!!!!!

Looks like the centrail AS mafia has been meeting all kinds of folks and making all kinds of friends.

Nice to see Vaughn and Susan using that C.A.M charm.

Steve
And I’ve even put up the pics that prove it. That was my point. Throw in 3 guys and usually at least 1 still does.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
LOL.... !! You guys are all funy It was great meeting you two. And I must say that seeing our two mohos together was really awesome . You guys are great. It's a bit early here in Texas...we finally made it last night after waking heading out from our overpacked walmart at 5 AM yesterday -- we drove a total of 12 + hours yesterday to make up for some lost time... but we are now in Blanco Texas and can't wait for the sun to come out. I will post pictures etc... soon (can't find the darn cable for my camera!!!) Chris

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
https://www.AirstreamLoft.com

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Chris,

What are you using for an internet/wi-fi connection while you're on the road?

Brad
Hey Brad, we use Verizon wireless with a sort of homemade booster, which REALLY REALLY helps....

a while back I made a whole post on our site about how we did it etc...

Here is a link: Internet on the Road | Roadtrip Adventures of Two City Travelers

Let me know if you need more info..

Chris

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychris
LOL.... !! You guys are all funy It was great meeting you two. And I must say that seeing our two mohos together was really awesome . You guys are great. It's a bit early here in Texas...we finally made it last night after waking heading out from our overpacked walmart at 5 AM yesterday -- we drove a total of 12 + hours yesterday to make up for some lost time... but we are now in Blanco Texas and can't wait for the sun to come out. I will post pictures etc... soon (can't find the darn cable for my camera!!!) Chris
You just missed the great weather at the end of last week, supposed to be rainy in Central Texas today, but it should clear up in the next couple of days. It's okay with me because we actually need the rain pretty badly, we've had drought conditions since last Summer.

No worries though, I'm sure we'll have plenty of sunshine for you this Spring.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Chris, when you get a chance (and find your cable!) would you mind taking some pictures of the inside of your moho for me? I totally missed doing that while we were there!

Enjoy your time in Texas! The Hill Country is the BEST!!! And keep your eyes open for the bluebonnets! They are famously beautiful down there in the spring.

Susan

Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Hey all, thanks for following our travels We - Well Liz - Just did a bunch of posts on your visit (including tons of pics) and the end of our journey to texas... check it out and let us know what you think... (as for the inside pictures, I think we have some posted up both on the forum and our site..will try to find them -- And add the ones with our changes

Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've read through some of your enjoyable site, and followed the above thread. As to Dallas, (where I'm from), there is more to it than meets the eye. One can certainly live in Texas or Dallas through the eyes of cliche'. For example, not all churches are Evangelical, there are plenty of the Enlightened (Garry Wills, AMERICAN CHRISTIANITIES) just as there are some excellent restaurants, libraries and neighborhoods. Yes, the suburbs fit the cliche', but no differently than SoCal or Kansas City.

Being in one of the big Texas cities is NOT Texas (and that includes Austin), you'll have to get to places where high school football is the big item. Some great, beautiful, occasionally lonely roads to travel. US 287 starts in Port Arthur and winds past Yellowstone National Park. US 83 starts at Laredo and goes all the way to Canada, Abilene is the biggest town it goes through. (Larry McMurtry has about the biggest used U.S. book store in little Archer City -- see his, WALTER BENJAMIN AT THE DAIRY QUEEN). Check with the State of Texas for the "Trail" series of roads: Forts, Tropical, etc. They're a great way to move around. Remember, for a Texan, a 300-mile morning drive is just a good start. Pick up a copy of T.R. Fehrenbachs history of Texas if you go there.

Blanco is certainly a nice little spot, have been through there numerous times; recently connected with a college friend who has her home there. (Have a look for her book, TEXAS OLD-TIME RESTAURANTS AND CAFES). My folks retired to Kerrville 20-years ago, and between Blanco and that town you'll find plenty to enjoy. Let me recommend the War of the South Pacific (name?) in Fredericksburg (as well as the outstanding KOA there); the Willow Loop Road and most any road that crosses or follows the Guadalupe River. The prime time to see the Hill Country is, IMO, before the heat really sets in and before the rains stop; about late April through mid-June.

The Hill Country is pretty overrun these days, so don't be surprised to find traffic to be slow on nice weekends. Texas-16 remains one of my favorite Texas highways, still much like it was thirty years ago as you travel north. Be certain to stop at Enchanted Rock, and make an afternoon of it.

Austin is nice, but the traffic is terrible (I'd rather drive around Houston or Dallas any day [ I can always find an alternate route in them, unlike Austin]; we like to joke that only Californians and New Yorkers think Austin is "cool"), hope you'll have a look at San Marcos (another friend has moved there after 25-years in Austin and glad of it; Denis Johnson wrote much of his National Book Award-winning SMOKE TREE there) as well as some of the other outlying "city centers".

Don't miss Mi Tierra Restaurant in San Antonio. Many of the Riverwalk restaurants are poor, but "Mi Ti's" is worth the price and it is one of the few places we'll stop in that city (without trailer) to have lunch. There are other quite good places in SA. SA is gorgeous in May. August, the humidity and heat are wearing.

Good looking motorhome. Sorry I can't recommend a shop or tech, but someone else may chime in. There are a good number in the state; my preferred trailer dealer/service (I don't own an A/S) is Roger Williams A/S in Weatherford, west of Fort Worth who installed my Hensley Hitch. Camper Capitol in Dallas is an outstanding retail parts house.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX

Austin is nice, but the traffic is terrible (I'd rather drive around Houston or Dallas any day [ I can always find an alternate route in them, unlike Austin]; we like to joke that only Californians and New Yorkers think Austin is "cool"),
Okay...

I suppose it takes all kinds.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Thumbs up

Not sure about that Austin comment ... I even graduated from the university 90 miles east of there, and I still love the capital city -- you can find a representative from just about every population niche Texas has (from cowboys to urban hipsters), not to mention the natural beauty and cultural offerings. I love my home in Fort Worth, but Austin is way up on the list.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
btw.. drove the bug yesterday and today... no probs to report so far...

Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix491
Not sure about that Austin comment ... I even graduated from the university 90 miles east of there, and I still love the capital city -- you can find a representative from just about every population niche Texas has (from cowboys to urban hipsters), not to mention the natural beauty and cultural offerings. I love my home in Fort Worth, but Austin is way up on the list.
Amen, brother!

My wife is one of "you people" while I am a sipper of tea, yet we both love Austin. Still, there are more than enough people moving here right now that I'm okay with anyone who doesn't like the place. In fact, I should hire Rednax to perform PR for Austin. It might help with those horrible traffic problems...

Anyway, I'm sure gypsychris can make up her own mind, but I do agree that to experience more of Texas culture you need to get out of the cities and onto the smaller highways. But this is true of ANY region, not just Texas.