Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Red face Our first weekend out - a few notes/questions

Hi all,

We are the proud new owners of a 2017 FC 27 FB purchased from Can-AM in London, ON. We spent the last few days camping at a local provincial park. Of course, we ran into a few snags and had a few questions. I'll make a few random notes below.

Our friction sway bars (pictured) make a LOT of noise. I realize they are there for our safety. Our dealer told us the noise will gradually fade. But, does the noise get better quickly or does it take a long time to go away? I read on AirForums that a thin coat of vaseline takes away the noise, but won't this also take away the performance (i.e. the friction itself)?

We found that the heat pump worked really well to warm us in the AM without having to use any LP. The furnace is nice warmth from below instead of above, but we preferred to use the heat pump.

I installed an HDMI matrix switcher so the two TVs could both watch the Blu-Ray or an Apple TV I brought along. But, the cool thing is that you can set it to that one TV watches BR while the other watches the Apple TV (or vice versa). My first mod!

We have always been tent campers. We really enjoyed the warm comfort of the trailer, being off the ground, having a big fridge, toilet, and shower. Awesome stuff!

We had to make a manual water run for about 30 L of water using some collapsible water containers to get through the weekend without going to the fill station. This is because our fresh water tank only started at 69%. We will need to check this next time before departing.

The rig tows well with our 2015 Toyota Highlander. We practiced the emergency maneuver of slight acceleration of the TV and concurrent application of the trailer brakes in case of sway/fishtailing.

We spent an hour in a local school's parking lot practicing back-up maneuvers. Feel much better now, but backing in looking out the driver's side seems a lot easier than looking out the passenger side.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	619.8 KB
ID:	272758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	272759  

__________________

__________________
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Rich and Kat
 
AIRHEDS's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 217
Hello Philip. That HDMI switcher thingy sounds cool. Can you please share more details about brand, model and cost?

Sorry I can't be of any assistance on your squeaky bars question.

Good luck with your FC 27!

Thanks,
Rich
__________________

__________________
Rich
2017 Classic 30', ProPride 3P Hitch, 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW w/ 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and Retrax Pro MX Tonneau Cover
KB2ZMF
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

 
Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,857
My eazlift and sway bars make no noise. Was your hitch ball lubed.? Also the small ones for the sway bar.? There is a lube spot on the bottom of the hitch head. Never lube the sway bar, it works like your vehicle brakes, great will make it useless. And the noise does fade as the friction surface breaks in.
__________________
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 230
Thanks for the write up! Can you explain a little more about the hdmi switcher? Do both tvs have an hdmi that goes to the blue ray player? We pick up our 25FB FC in a couple weeks and have wondered how/if we want to utilize our iPads and iPhones for video in the trailer.

I had an Eaz-Lift and it was loud, but I did not grease anything.

Im surprised that a highlander can tow a 27'. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a few trips.

Good luck!
__________________
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
KSA63's Avatar
 
2011 28' Flying Cloud
Ramara , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 82
Images: 2
My FC28 squealed like a pig for the first trip from London to Orillia, not so much on the second time out and virtually no squeal now except when doing tight, slow speed turns. I also use an eaz-lift system with dual friction sway control bars. Biggest problem I have is with the pins that hold the sway control bars on the balls. I have taken to using tie wraps to cinch them up as they tend to spread easily and could fall right off without the tie wraps.
__________________
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
Hello Philip. That HDMI switcher thingy sounds cool. Can you please share more details about brand, model and cost?

Sorry I can't be of any assistance on your squeaky bars question.

Good luck with your FC 27!

Thanks,
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Thanks for the write up! Can you explain a little more about the hdmi switcher? Do both tvs have an hdmi that goes to the blue ray player? We pick up our 25FB FC in a couple weeks and have wondered how/if we want to utilize our iPads and iPhones for video in the trailer.

I had an Eaz-Lift and it was loud, but I did not grease anything.

Im surprised that a highlander can tow a 27'. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a few trips.

Good luck!

Here is the product I ordered from Monoprice - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14529

I opened up the cabinet enclosing the Bluray player (two long screws from the side got me in). From the factory, the HDMI output from the Bluray player goes into an HDMI splitter, so at the other end of the splitter you'll find two HDMI cables going into the splitter. These are the cables carrying the HDMI signal heading to the 2 TVs in the trailer. So, I plugged these two cables into the "HDMI output" ports of the matrix splitter.

Next, I plugged the HDMI output of the Bluray into "HDMI input 1" of the matrix, and plugged the HDMI output of the Apple TV into the "HDMI input 2" of the matrix. Plugging the matrix into electricity completes the install. Now, you can independently tell each TV which HDMI input they should use. Either TV can use either signal, either individually or concurrently. Works great! You can even change signals with the remote they include.

Today I will reassemble the cabinet including adding a couple of short wood screws to mount the matrix more durably to the cabinet itself.

Hope this helps - any more questions please ask.
__________________
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
My eazlift and sway bars make no noise. Was your hitch ball lubed.? Also the small ones for the sway bar.? There is a lube spot on the bottom of the hitch head. Never lube the sway bar, it works like your vehicle brakes, great will make it useless. And the noise does fade as the friction surface breaks in.
My hitch balls were lubed. I guess I will just have to be patient and hope it gets less loud as we travel more. I reduced the tension on the sway bars as we entered the campground since we were only going 30 km/hr and didn't want to disturb our neighbours!
__________________
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
My FC28 squealed like a pig for the first trip from London to Orillia, not so much on the second time out and virtually no squeal now except when doing tight, slow speed turns. I also use an eaz-lift system with dual friction sway control bars. Biggest problem I have is with the pins that hold the sway control bars on the balls. I have taken to using tie wraps to cinch them up as they tend to spread easily and could fall right off without the tie wraps.
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering about those pins as they fit pretty loose. I will at least get some more and maybe should do what you do...
__________________
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 397
Congrats on your first trip out!

With regards to the water, you'll learn to be really conservative.

We carry multiple 1 gallon jugs of water and a couple of cases of bottled water for drinking and the dogs water bowls. These can be easily bought locally if you run low.

Wash dishes in a bucket or semi filled sink, showers = bird baths or bathhouse.

Usually our grey tank is the limiting factor. But we've gotten really good at techniques there too. When no sewer we wash dishes it's a bucket in the sink, then toss that water out, things like that.

Congrats!
__________________
'15 27fb Signature
'12 Chevy 2500HD Gasser
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
My FC28 squealed like a pig for the first trip from London to Orillia, not so much on the second time out and virtually no squeal now except when doing tight, slow speed turns. I also use an eaz-lift system with dual friction sway control bars. Biggest problem I have is with the pins that hold the sway control bars on the balls. I have taken to using tie wraps to cinch them up as they tend to spread easily and could fall right off without the tie wraps.
I haven't lost any clips yet, but good Idea using ty-wraps.
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Thanks for the write up! Can you explain a little more about the hdmi switcher? Do both tvs have an hdmi that goes to the blue ray player? We pick up our 25FB FC in a couple weeks and have wondered how/if we want to utilize our iPads and iPhones for video in the trailer.

I had an Eaz-Lift and it was loud, but I did not grease anything.

Im surprised that a highlander can tow a 27'. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a few trips.

Good luck!
I was wondering about that myself. The tongue weight must be around 750 lbs on a 27' Airstream.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Hi all,

We are the proud new owners of a 2017 FC 27 FB purchased from Can-AM in London, ON. We spent the last few days camping at a local provincial park. Of course, we ran into a few snags and had a few questions. I'll make a few random notes below.

Our friction sway bars (pictured) make a LOT of noise. I realize they are there for our safety. Our dealer told us the noise will gradually fade. But, does the noise get better quickly or does it take a long time to go away? I read on AirForums that a thin coat of vaseline takes away the noise, but won't this also take away the performance (i.e. the friction itself)?

We found that the heat pump worked really well to warm us in the AM without having to use any LP. The furnace is nice warmth from below instead of above, but we preferred to use the heat pump.

I installed an HDMI matrix switcher so the two TVs could both watch the Blu-Ray or an Apple TV I brought along. But, the cool thing is that you can set it to that one TV watches BR while the other watches the Apple TV (or vice versa). My first mod!

We have always been tent campers. We really enjoyed the warm comfort of the trailer, being off the ground, having a big fridge, toilet, and shower. Awesome stuff!

We had to make a manual water run for about 30 L of water using some collapsible water containers to get through the weekend without going to the fill station. This is because our fresh water tank only started at 69%. We will need to check this next time before departing.

The rig tows well with our 2015 Toyota Highlander. We practiced the emergency maneuver of slight acceleration of the TV and concurrent application of the trailer brakes in case of sway/fishtailing.

We spent an hour in a local school's parking lot practicing back-up maneuvers. Feel much better now, but backing in looking out the driver's side seems a lot easier than looking out the passenger side.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Phil
-I have a 30' FC from CanAm, and Andy gave me the same hitch. The sway bars groan like a drunken sailer trying to get back on board. So...

-I purchased a Reese Dual Cam hitch from HB Cycle in Cameron, and on my first trip out to Stratford the rig wriggled like a snake with a broken back.
On my next trip to the 'RV Explorer's Club' rally at Brockville, it again wriggled like".......

-So I asked CanAm to put the original hitch back on, and the damned works very well. It still groans, and I do loosen it off when parking the rig, but it works.
(The complete Reese assembly is up for grabs. Make me a decent offer.)

-I found the heat pump to be marginal on a cold morning, but the furnace is great.

-I like the 30 footer for it's great storage capabilities, and even my wife finds it comfortable to live in. (she wasn't an RV fan)

-As for the hitch: My old Airforce Sgt. told me: "If it moves, lubricate it! If it doesn't move, paint it! If it talks back, salute it."

-So lubricate everything, EXCEPT the sway bars.
I mount my hitch with shims to prevent rattle, and grease them.
(Sent me your e-mail, I'll send you a couple of photos of it.)
mdgoddard3021@gmail.com

-Like 'NorCal Matt' I'm curious about how the Highlander would handle the AS.
I traded in a Toyota 4-Runner (same engine as yours) that towed a 6000 lb. Hi-Lo; for a Ford F-150 EcoBoost that handles the 'Cloud' quite well.

-I keep my fresh water tank at about 60-70% for use on the road. or C.G. power failure. (Needed once at Millar Lake)
I've only needed a full tank one time, and that was at the RV Rally last year at Golden Lake. (My hose wouldn't reach a far-away bib.)

-Enjoy your new RV and welcome to the ranks of "Trailer Trash living in a 'Tin-Can' Shed"
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Hi all,

We are the proud new owners of a 2017 FC 27 FB purchased from Can-AM in London, ON. We spent the last few days camping at a local provincial park. Of course, we ran into a few snags and had a few questions. I'll make a few random notes below.

Our friction sway bars (pictured) make a LOT of noise. I realize they are there for our safety. Our dealer told us the noise will gradually fade. But, does the noise get better quickly or does it take a long time to go away? I read on AirForums that a thin coat of vaseline takes away the noise, but won't this also take away the performance (i.e. the friction itself)?

We found that the heat pump worked really well to warm us in the AM without having to use any LP. The furnace is nice warmth from below instead of above, but we preferred to use the heat pump.

I installed an HDMI matrix switcher so the two TVs could both watch the Blu-Ray or an Apple TV I brought along. But, the cool thing is that you can set it to that one TV watches BR while the other watches the Apple TV (or vice versa). My first mod!

We have always been tent campers. We really enjoyed the warm comfort of the trailer, being off the ground, having a big fridge, toilet, and shower. Awesome stuff!

We had to make a manual water run for about 30 L of water using some collapsible water containers to get through the weekend without going to the fill station. This is because our fresh water tank only started at 69%. We will need to check this next time before departing.

The rig tows well with our 2015 Toyota Highlander. We practiced the emergency maneuver of slight acceleration of the TV and concurrent application of the trailer brakes in case of sway/fishtailing.

We spent an hour in a local school's parking lot practicing back-up maneuvers. Feel much better now, but backing in looking out the driver's side seems a lot easier than looking out the passenger side.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Phil
Hey Phil;
Get yourself some 1" ratchet straps and 'screw in the ground' stakes to support your awning in tough winds.
The Zip-Dee Awning supports look kinda flimsy, and I use three screw-in stakes, one at each end, one in the middle, (using the pull down strap to the stake).
Twist the straps around a few times to make a 'ropey' string that will prevent flutter.
Also i have made two 'de-flapper' clamps for the fabric sides, with bungee wrapped around the upper strut.
It works!
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Kyoshi's Avatar
 
2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
New Owner

We picked up our 2015 28 ft International from Can Am on July 15th. We have done 20 days of camping to date. we found that we could go 4 days on the water tank, washing bathroom, no shower used. Haven't used the furnace yet, but AC works fantastic. At Ontario Prov Parks, the hydro connection is between sites and we have had to use a 30 amp extension cord twice. I made up extra wooden blocks as one camp had very uneven ground. Slammed the door on our first trip and it locked itself. Fortunately I had a spare key hidden away. All in all we have had pretty uneventful first trips. Planning winter trip to California and back.
__________________

__________________
Kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Few Notes on Fantastic Fan Install Pick Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 11 11-09-2015 09:10 AM
Notes from the first 19 days... westcoastas Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping 32 02-21-2015 05:20 AM
Thinking about adding Silver Streaks to my watch list- a few questions first RhinoWW Vintage Kin 0 07-25-2014 09:16 PM
First longish drive, impressions and a few questions tevake Classic Motorhomes 21 12-09-2013 01:12 PM
FYI Notes Laying Out Fresh Water System Tony S Fresh Water Systems 0 09-04-2013 11:07 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.