Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Thumbs up Our first trip! Pls recommend dry run camp and other info...

Woo hoo! My wife and I just spent a ton of money on a 2005 28 ft CCD Int'l. Our dealer was a new Airstream dealer located near Concord, CA (http://www.EastBayRV.com). Since our VW Toureg had insufficient towing capacity, we ended up spending an even bigger amount of money on a new TV, a 2005 Ford Excursion Limited with a 6.0L powerstroke turbo diesel engine and a 3.73 rear axle. So much for leaving an inheritance for the kids!

We'll be on the road the first/second week of May 2005, with a tentative intinerary of the following locales:

SF to Yosemite
to Hwy 395 down to Las Vegas
to the Grand Canyon
to Zion Nat'l Park
To Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park
to Arches Nat'l Park
to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos
To Denver and Boulder, CO
to Jackson Hole, WY
to Bozeman and Missoula, MT
to Lake Louise, Banff & Jasper, Canada
to Whistler-Blackombe, Canada
to Vancouver, BC
to Seattle, WA
down the coast of Oregon
back to SF.

Whew! We estimate about a 4-6 mo road trip. We can't wait! If any of you will be in any of those locations, pls let us know. Perhaps we can meet on the road and share stories over wine, beer, or soda!

Since this is our first RV ever (we used to back pack a lot, but Angela had back surgery and can't carry a load for a while), we would like to perform a dry run prior to our trip. Can anyone recommend a trailer park between San Francisco and San Jose where we can hook up and test out our new trailer? We need to figure out how to drive it, dock it, level it, etc. We also need to figure out what else we should buy, such as 20 and 50 amp plug converters, extra long water hose, etc. Any recommendations on must haves would be helpful.

See you all on the road and thanks for all the advice so far!

- Mike & Angela (and our dog Kenzie)
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Sounds like you're ready for some fun, go for it!!!

We've recently retired & moved into an exclusive Airstream park (North Texas Airstream Community) which will be our home base while we "hit the road". I just had some ankle reconstruction surgery & as soon as possible we'll be out there also.
I believe the expression is: "See you down the road", something about 'on the road' has a negative connotation....
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Mike & Angela ...

You could travel just a bit beyond SJ and camp at Casa de Fruta up on 152 ... just east of Hollister. This is where we camped on our first night with our AS.

http://www.casadefruta.com/VISIT_accom.html

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Porky, you beat me to it. I was going to suggest the same spot.

We still have some peacock feathers in a vase from when they were dropping them around our campsite. My 3 year old loves them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bird.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	11328  
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
Woo hoo! My wife and I just spent a ton of money on a 2005 28 ft CCD Int'l. So much for leaving an inheritance for the kids!
They should be starting to worry at this point....and with no income for all those months but it sounds like you have quite a maiden voyage planned! We're Bay Area natives here but that was 30+ years ago, and most all our camping was in the yosemite region. You might try the reserve america website to find a site close to your dealer so if there's a glitch you can get the bugs out before your big trip, but from SF your close to many beautiful camping areas so take your pick! Search the forum for "what to bring" and it will pull up threads with great ideas and lists to get you started, and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations and enjoy your new trailer
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Cool Congratulations on your new Airstream!

I see you went with the 28'CCD, like the way you think. We should be picking up our CCD next week. Though, I admit that your first trip will last a little longer than ours will.

Enjoy your new Airstream!!!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:50 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
We need to figure out how to drive it, dock it, level it, etc. We also need to figure out what else we should buy, such as 20 and 50 amp plug converters, extra long water hose, etc. Any recommendations on must haves would be helpful.

Welcome, Mike and Angela! Congratulations on your new trailer.

Some things you will need come to mind:

Water supply hoses for city water. Buy two regular length ones, they're easier to store than one bulky long one. In most cases we only use one of them, but sometimes it is necessary to use both. These hoses usually have a blue stripe in them and are specifically made for drinking water use. Do not use them for anything else,as contamination can make you sick.

External water pressure regulator. Goes between the hose and faucet, outside the trailer. Regulates pressure to the trailer, saves hoses from ballooning from too much water pressure.

Flush/wash hose. Room permitting, you should buy a separate water hose for flushing the tanks and washing the trailer etc. to avoind contamination of your water supply.

Waste hose adapter. You might need this as campgrounds have different size sewer hookups.

Sewer hose extension. Again, just in case.

We use a device called Sewer Solution instead of the large waste hose. I like it a lot. It has a 1in hose, and a water driven macerator. I bought an extension hose for it. It does not require sewer hose supports and can pump even slight uphills to the sewer connection. It is much cleaner than the slinky hose, and very easy to use.
You will still need the slinky for dump station use, in my opinion. The sewer solution requires a water hookup, which is not always easily available at dump stations. Also, I believe your trailer has a 70gal combined grey/black tank, which should be flushed occcasionally by means of the slinky. Nothin like a quick drain to get deposits out of the tank.

Level blocks. You can make wooden ones, or buy the Lego style ones, avaialable from places like Camping World. I carry 8 of them, and have never needed more than that. They are essential for leveling your trailer. As you know, the refrigerator requires the traielr to be level when it is stationary, and when the fridge is running. Sometimes it just takes one block under one wheel to make it nice and level, sometimes you have to get creative to achieve this. I often use the leveling blocks under the stabilizer jacks as well, if any are left over.

Wheel chocks. These are important safety items. We use the triangular wedge style ones. They are cheap. I see many trailers use the kind that wedge between the tandem wheels, and ratched apart until both wheels are locked. Nice.

Rug/mats. They go outside and keep the inside of the trailer much cleaner, because you don't track so much dirt inside. Also, gives some consistency to your setup, for what it's worth. We usually carry a doormat size, course mat, and a 5x7 or similar size carpet for the patio area.

Spare fuses, light bulbs, duct tape, etc.

Small tool kit

Good quality tire pressure gauge. Check your tire pressure often, especially the trailer tires. Keep them inflated to the recommended cold tire pressure.

A few tips from our travels:
Non stick type pots and pans save water when boondocking. They can often be wiped clean with a paper towel and just rinsed quickly. Same with paper plates. We don't always use them, but they're good for those times that you don't want to wash dishes, and while under way.

And, have fun!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
New trailer shopping list

RoadKingMoe's shopping list was a valuable tool for us:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=shopping

We just had our first shakedown cruise last week--it was great! We did a couple "duh" things, but that's what a dry run is for. A guy walking by with his dog got a real chuckle when the water fill hose came out of the freshwater tank and drenched us both with icy water... Fun!

BTW, if your 28' CCD is a 2005, you have separate black/gray tanks with a tank flush for the black tank.

Enjoy!
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Oro Valley, Arizona
Mike, Angela, and Kenzie too (woof, woof) congtatz on the new rig. we also are taking delevery on a new 31' classic (ndt) AND A 2500 chevy sub this month. (B I G P I L E OF M O N E Y!) we live in SW Florida and have many rv parks near by. some of our friends have recomended we camp first couple of time as close to home as we can. makes it quicker to check your mail, get things you forgot ect. one question i have for you and others is how much to budget for camping fees for a long trip. we plan to depart Florida in early June heading north and west for the summer returning in mid Oct or early Nov. fuel of course will be high this year, but how to figure an average camp site cost? mix between dry camp and full hook up ect. you thoughts folks, and thanks in advance. David
ride2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
New Owners - don't forget!

The excitement must be unbearable, waiting for the first trip.

Don't forget to re-torque the wheel lug nuts on those new units!

And ride2k, you may want to try W. P. Franklin North Campground just West of you on Rt# 78. Right on the water at one of the locks. Small, clean & close to home. Has dump station. # 22 is a pull through on the water.

Their local phone # is 941-694-2582. You may have to go through
www.ReserveUSA.com (877) 444-6777.

Have FUN everybody.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
SF to Yosemite
to the Grand Canyon
to Zion Nat'l Park
to Arches Nat'l Park
to Jackson Hole, WY
to Vancouver, BC
to Seattle, WA
down the coast of Oregon
back to SF.
Just one question... is there room enough to bring me?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Congratulations! Quite a few people buying that 28' CCD ... looks like you made a great choice.

You'll need to carry some leveling boards or blocks to level (place under the wheels of) the low side of the trailer. Once you've found the best and most level spot, get out and check the bubble level you've installed on the front of the trailer. Then, you'll pull ahead, place the boards or plastic blocks down on the low side and back up so the low side trailer wheels are sitting on top of the leveling boards. This is really a fairly simple operation and you'll get used to how many boards you need to use just by looking at the bubble level.

Good luck on your journey.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Congrats!

Congrats on your new trailer and TV! That is so exciting! It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. We have planned a trip to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons June 25 - July 9. We would love to hook up with you if you will be near there at the same time.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cool Check your BUBBLE Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStream
Congratulations! Quite a few people buying that 28' CCD ... looks like you made a great choice.

You'll need to carry some leveling boards or blocks to level (place under the wheels of) the low side of the trailer. Once you've found the best and most level spot, get out and check the bubble level you've installed on the front of the trailer. Then, you'll pull ahead, place the boards or plastic blocks down on the low side and back up so the low side trailer wheels are sitting on top of the leveling boards. This is really a fairly simple operation and you'll get used to how many boards you need to use just by looking at the bubble level.

Good luck on your journey.
Congrats! I hope you love your 28' as much as I do my 22'. By the way, check that your bubble level is accurate. My business partner always calls me "the human level" because I can put up shelves, etc. without a level and have them turn out perfect. I had my trailer leveled by the bubble, but it just felt & looked out of level to me, so I got a standard 2 foot level and laid it on the floor of my unit crosswise and long ways. I also verified that my level was true by turning it 180 degrees after taking the initial side to side and front to back readings. Sure enough the bubble level was off, but it comes with three adjustment screws, so I adjusted the bubble, releveled the trailer, eyed it, and re-checked it with both levels. Perfecto!

Also, the stabilizer jacks crank mechanism is way too far under the trailer to be easily seen unless you kneel. The back ones are easy to find by feel, but the front ones... Kneeling on gravel or with a bad knee, ouch! So I looked around and lo and behold I have makeup mirror that's about 5" around and has two pieces of metal that expand to make a table stand. I looped them over the crank tool, played with the mirror angle until I could see the front crank mechanism and then re-adjusted the stabilizers. While you are at the dealers have them show you where you store the black water hose - it's way too far from the edge of the trailer in my opinion, and on mine the cover is murder to put on and take off.... They should be able to adjust it for you. My next mini-project will be to see if I can move the whole thing about six inches toward the road (Please let the thing be attached by something simple like band clamps) and find out if there is dirt or something else binding up the threads so that I can get it opened and closed without using a strap wrench. Oh to be skinny and 20 again - this won't be pretty... I can get down... it's getting back up that is the pain in the everywhere!

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Good choice on the CCD28'. Let me know if your floor squeeks by the dinette & sink. Our dealer was able to fix our by dropping the belly pan & reinforcing the floor. Also, get yourself a battery powered drill and a deep set (3/4" I think) socket. That makes quick work raising and lowering the jacks.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

I don't have any advice to add BUT.....

Don't forget to bring a Mandolin Player. They come in very handy if your stereo breaks. And if it is muddy.....you can use them as a door mat
(if you can 't find a banjo player) .

Your trip sounds wonderful. Stay safe, stay rested, stay alert.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #17
billy

1979 23' Safari
Dublin , California
good East Bay RV spot

I'd suggest the Pleasanton Fair grounds to test out a new RV. They have full hook ups, easy parking and it's quiet. Check out their web site at http://www.alamedacountyfair.com/new3/. It's $25 a night. You can pay at the guard shack as you enter. It's near the 580/680 intersection, Take the Bernal exit off of 680.
dennisgroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Petaluma , California
Thanks all!

Wow. That's more info than I had hoped for! Thanks everyone.

Yes, the waiting is the biggest problem. The CCD is at the dealer, but we are busy moving out of our house (we sold the home, thus we now have $ for a CCD and TV - maybe some will be left over for the kids, MAYBE...), taking care of our affairs, etc. Oh yes, and PLANNING THE TRIP!!!!

So hopefully the days will go by quickly!

Kathy - we just might be in the Jackson Hole/Yellowstone area when you are. Would love to meet! I'll contact you through the airstream forum as our plans solidify...but right now we sort of have an open ticket, open dates, and best of all, open roads.....

Brad - our CCD should sleep 6. Angela and I have the queen bed, our dog Kenzie has the rest. We have two friends traveling with us for about a month, but other than that, we have extended an open invitation to all our friends and family to fly in and join us on the road whenever they want. Mi casa es su casa...ahem, mi CCD es su CCD?

David - my research has shown that the facility fees seem to run around $20 - 80 a night, depending on what kind of amenities, full hook up, partial, etc. For example, places with pools, restaurants, activities, etc. charge more, the basic places seem to charge around $20 - 35 a night. Am told that joining one of the clubs (KOA, Good Sam, etc.) can help with discounts. Hope that helps with the budget. And don't forget, your AS can be self sustaining for a while, so some nights you can just find a nice place and snooze!

Tin Hut - will let you know if our model squeeks. I didn't notice it when I was checking it out last, but then I was pretty distracted trying to negotiate a better deal....

Thanks again everyone. If there are any more suggestions, keep 'em coming!

See everyone DOWN the road! (Thanks for the suggestion RivetEd!)

- Mike & Angela & Kenzie
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Woo hoo! My wife and I just spent a ton of money on a 2005 28 ft CCD Int'l. Our dealer was a new Airstream dealer located near Concord, CA (http://www.EastBayRV.com). Since our VW Toureg had insufficient towing capacity, we ended up spending an even bigger amount of money on a new TV, a 2005 Ford Excursion Limited with a 6.0L powerstroke turbo diesel engine and a 3.73 rear axle. So much for leaving an inheritance for the kids!

We'll be on the road the first/second week of May 2005, with a tentative intinerary of the following locales:

SF to Yosemite
to the Grand Canyon
to Zion Nat'l Park
to Arches Nat'l Park
to Jackson Hole, WY
to Vancouver, BC
to Seattle, WA
down the coast of Oregon
back to SF.

Whew! We estimate about a 4-6 mo road trip. We can't wait! If any of you will be in any of those locations, pls let us know. Perhaps we can meet on the road and share stories over wine, beer, or soda!

Since this is our first RV ever (we used to back pack a lot, but Angela had back surgery and can't carry a load for a while), we would like to perform a dry run prior to our trip. Can anyone recommend a trailer park between San Francisco and San Jose where we can hook up and test out our new trailer? We need to figure out how to drive it, dock it, level it, etc. We also need to figure out what else we should buy, such as 20 and 50 amp plug converters, extra long water hose, etc. Any recommendations on must haves would be helpful.

If you're near Finley Point on Flathead Lake Montana, stop by we will no doubt have all the adult beverages on hand. We'll be in the camp host spot late May thru mid July.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We always head out the drive for a camping trip pulling Gypsy with Willie crooning "On the road again. . ." So, only positive vibes for ." . .on the road. . ." from these Willie and Airstream fans and if anyone tries to make it something negative, shame on him!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote