Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Our First trip mishaps and all

We were not an hour from home and we had a broken wing window. We did not turn back but then came the rain and lightening and so the nearest Home Depot was our stop. Duct tape a must and a tarp came in handy and our trip continued. Our lst night at Morro Bay we heard a swosh in the middle of the night ,and hubby ran out to turn off the water, a leak under the sink again.
Dump station 101 was perfect we scored an A +. We had a great week away. Oh yes we lost the water heater door, grandboys were playing before we left home for our trip and the lst night we did not quite understand how to get the heater to work. 2nd night we figured it out. Leaving our second destination in SF hubby did not pay attention and almost ripped off a stabilizer A hardware store was up the street and lying on the ground hubby managed to fix the wobbly thing.and then at a rest stop we noticed the pump was on.
Are we discouraged?? Absolutely not we loved every minute of our adventure and next week will be our 1st rally in Blythe.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
We were not an hour from home and we had a broken wing window. We did not turn back but then came the rain and lightening and so the nearest Home Depot was our stop. Duct tape a must and a tarp came in handy and our trip continued. Our lst night at Morro Bay we heard a swosh in the middle of the night ,and hubby ran out to turn off the water, a leak under the sink again.
Dump station 101 was perfect we scored an A +. We had a great week away. Oh yes we lost the water heater door, grandboys were playing before we left home for our trip and the lst night we did not quite understand how to get the heater to work. 2nd night we figured it out. Leaving our second destination in SF hubby did not pay attention and almost ripped off a stabilizer A hardware store was up the street and lying on the ground hubby managed to fix the wobbly thing.and then at a rest stop we noticed the pump was on.
Are we discouraged?? Absolutely not we loved every minute of our adventure and next week will be our 1st rally in Blythe.
Gail,

Congratulations on your first trip. I assume that you are going to the Hobo Rally?

If you have nothing else on the calendar for the first weekend of May, how about the Tri County Unit, now Central California Unit, rally at the Malibu RV park? Although we are not members of that unit, we have friends there and they have invited us up for the weekend. If you can't make it, please drop by and say HI.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Gail, we had so many mishaps with our first Airstream the wife started writing a journal. I tore off the stabilizers, bottle of black tank destinker spilled in the cabin, ac cover blew off, hit a Jack Daniel's Barrel, multiple electrical problems, and that is only the ones I can think of.

We kept at it and are glad we did.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Caravel pictures

Gail,
Please get some pictures out to us on your new interior. ....and any other work you have done. I'll bet its a beauty.

A first purchase now should be a front window rock guard.....to late for the recent problem.....same advice to all who travel without one. I saw where Airstream had one for sale in their EBAY ads last week. Those "D" windows are expensive.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Today we dropped her off and the rock guard is coming. WE learned that one the hard way. We are so new to all of this and we are becoming very fast learners. Photos will come once I get the curtains replaced. We did the floor and upholstery and added a tv. she is cute.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
The first time

Hi Gail,
You never forget your first time!
Congratulations, and have a greatr time in Blyth!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Congrats Gail, We also just had our first, over New Years. It was fantastic.
Keep up the can-do attitude and,
Keep on truckin'
Rich
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Sounds normal all in all Practice makes perfect!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Gail, Your first outing with the trailer was memorable, but the fun has just begun. I have a 1971 Caravel too. It's a great trailer. Have fun at your future rallies.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
We were not an hour from home ..and then at a rest stop we noticed the pump was on. Are we discouraged?? Absolutely not we loved every minute of our adventure and next week will be our 1st rally in Blythe.
Hi Gail,
I shorten your comments for no special reasons ..Hope that's okay?
First, Congrats on your first time out~! ENjoy each other
Correct me if I am wrong but, sounds like you need to create a "check-list" of things to do before you depart each day..Lots of examples on the forum..
Take the time and, walk thru that together..
Again, enjoy your trip~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We definitely are going to do the check list. We both have an extreme case of CRS due to old timers. LOL
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Where's the adventure in a perfect trip?
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
In 1983, on my first tow with my 1969 International I forgot to lock the door. It came unfastened and blew open, breaking the door frame. Thanks to my DIY ability and the services of a very good welding shop all was well. I wish I could say that was my first and ONLY boo-boo!

Gene
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gail,

On our trip home from the dealer, at about 125 miles we stopped for lunch with our brand new Safari and as I opened the door, I couldn't believe it—one of the side windows was gone! My first thought was: How was Barb going to take this? I went over to the window hole and saw that one of the latches was unlatched and later discovered it was too loose—blame the dealer or the factory. Barb handled it well. We taped a garbage bag to the window and eventually the factory paid for a new window.

On our first week long trip a few weeks later I tried to plow a campground with the "foot" at the bottom of the jack. As I was coming around the campground, someone came running at us with it in his hand. Embarassing! Barb was upset this time since I had "ruined" our new Safari. Actually the thing fit better as the top was flared out after being dragged around a bit and divorce was not necessary.

After 9,500 miles we are pretty good at remembering to turn off the water pump. Last September we drove over 100 miles with the microwave on the counter—we always put it on the floor on a nonskid pad. We stopped and I went back to look expecting to find 50 different microwave pieces on a badly gouged floor, but it had only moved about one inch. Putting the microwave on the floor is not my responsibility because of my back injury, proving anyone can screw up.

A checklist is a good idea. There are standard ones and you can always add more to them. After a while we find we (usually) remember everything. At first it can be overwhelming, but it gets easier over time.

Congratulations on an A+ at the dump station. I guarantee you will have a lower grade with the sewer connections sometime in the future—all those fittings can unwind and leak or gush and they will. Black water is part of the initiation process.

Gene