Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, other than the normal wetness in the shower stall, my Safari only has had some condensation in the roof vents and window glass. It's the bare glass and bare aluminum that attracts condensation.
This is true. The mouse fur and padded ceiling is a thermal break. No condensation occurs on these surfaces. BUT, the windows, vents, storage compartments, etc are still a concern. Many hidden areas which we don't see are also susceptible, like battery boxes, under sink and behind counters.

I still like the dehumidifier route. So far, I am really pleased with this one. Small and quiet. It's still new, so time will tell, but it stores pretty easily at only < 6" deep.

NewAir AD-250 25 Pint Portable Room Dehumidifier With Automatic Shut-Off - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hey Redwood guy- when I saw Redwoods and Condensation it made perfect sense. We live in the redwoods and winter condensation in the house and the trailer are problems. I get condensation from the trailer just sitting, its so damp here (3/4 mi from the ocean). We had the best luck with a dehumidifier. You might also try dehumidifying products in conjunction with small fans. If you're in a humid area, cracking the window won't do much- so what did you find worked?
So far, I don't know. We've only had the trailer 3 weeks! Next outing we'll try the tips here mostly about leaving vents open a bit.

BTW, we owned property at SR for a couple years and wanted to build a house, but never could put all the right pieces together with jobs and things, so we sold the property. But it is one of my favorite places on earth. And if I recall, there is a LOT of moisture there.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm pretty sure the solution is pretty geographically dependent. I know, here in the midwest, when you get those cold spring and fall nights with rain/sleet/snow, humidity is high and interior moisture is WAY more than the cool humid outside air will handle.

You'll just have to see what works for you. I anticipate my dehumidifier will come in and out of the AS, depending when and where I am going.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey Redwoodguy, too bad the SR lot didn't work out- it's not easy to build with the seismic and septic regulations now. I'm an architect here so I know all too well the costs. I think it's absolutely true, the humidity cures are dependent on location and temperature. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Struggling with the PNW acronym???????? Please spell that one out for me. Passing interior air over a sealed hot gas fired furnace heat exchanger will not create humidity. "Wet" fuels get "wet" by the hydrocarbons in the exhaust combining with oxygen in the air and forming H2O. Gasoline, diesel, natural gas are all wet fuels. If it's happening inside...that's a problem.

If what you say is true, my gas fired furnace in my house would keep my inside air nice and moist and I wouldn't have to run a HUMIDIFIER in my home most of the winter.
The natural gas flame of a furnace in a house in also in a sealed heat exchanger, and will not add moisture to the inside of the house. It will in fact raise the dry-bulb temperature of the inside air. The result is dry wood, dry nose, etc.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
We are on our first trip in the new Flying Cloud. We are in Buellton, Ca. at the Flying Flags RV park. Beautiful weather and having a great trip so far. Well, except that the compressor for auto levelling my Suburban blew out and I have to have it replaced Friday at a local dealer.

But, I have a question about condensation. Night time temps are about 35F here. In the am we have quite a bit of condensation on the windows. Our dealer told us the heat pump was the best way to get rid of the condensation. So, I have been running the HP for about 2 hours in the am after we take showers and what not. What do others do?

I hope this picture posts.
The answer to most condensation problems in Airstreams is ventilate, ventilate, ventilate. Use exhaust fans with a window(s) cracked open to let in the dryer outside air. If the outside air is cold, which it most likely will be, use your furnace or an electric heater to raise the dry-bulb temperature of the inside air. Neither will add moisture to the inside air.

The fan of the furnace will keep the inside air moving giving it less contact time on cold surfaces like windows and therefor will reduce the opportunity for condensation.

Remember those tiny fans in our parent's automobile that blew air across the inside of the windscreen - they used the same principle to reduce condensation.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
I should have added to my reply to redwoodguy:

Using the furnace or an electric space heater to warm up the inside of the trailer will contribute to the possibility of condensation on cold surfaces like window glass. Considering the possibility of condensation; if its below 40F outside putting on a sweater is a better idea then using a heater (of any kind).
Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
SRW - - Wow - - if it's lower than 40F I am going to need more than a sweater! Thanks for those comments. I understood them and will revise our practices.

I assume though that using the propane cooktop DOES add moisture - correct?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Damp rid makes several style of condensation products, I use the ones for our home toilets in the summer, they have standing ones for the counter and hanging ones for closets, I bet these would work great in the camper
baylito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Using the cooktop will add to the interior moisture in the trailer.
Electric space heaters do not add to the condensation because they are considered dry heat. The furnace will not add to the condensate since it pulls the combustion air from outside the trailer and it obviously exhausts to the outside.
Propane contains a certain amout of moisture. Since the cooktop and oven burners do not exhaust to the outside, they will contribute to the moisture inside the trailer.
Anything that breathes: ie humans, dogs, cats etc will expell moisture into the trailer, adding to the condensation problem.
Obviously items like tea kettles, coffee makers, showers, sink faucets will add to the moisture.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I should have added to my reply to redwoodguy:

Using the furnace or an electric space heater to warm up the inside of the trailer will contribute to the possibility of condensation on cold surfaces like window glass. Considering the possibility of condensation; if its below 40F outside putting on a sweater is a better idea then using a heater (of any kind).
Only from a temperature differential standpoint. The furnace and electric neither add to nor remove humidity from the air. Stove does. catalytic heaters will.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Trailers leak. And dehumidifiers are great.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
[QUOTE=REDNAX;1090570]Trailers leak. And dehumidifiers are great.

Amen to that...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote