Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
1964 17' Bambi II
Ogden , Utah
Our first camping trip

We are about to take our first maiden camping trip in our 2016 22' Sport. We plan to camp for a couple of days without hook-up to see how everything works, what works, what doesn't work, how long the water lasts, etc. We're interesting in any tips, suggestions anyone might have to offer us.
Thank you!
mcaslaon4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
First trip ... what fun!

The stock 22' Sport has only a single Group 24 battery, so without knowing whether or not you have solar or a generator I would say the thing you need to be most careful about is running the battery down. The furnace is the biggest draw so depending on where you are going and the temperatures this could become a problem.

With 20 gallons of water you should be fine as long as you use it carefully -- we get by on 3 gallons or less each per day plus more if showering in the trailer.

I wouldn't be concerned about anything else, so relax and have fun learning about how everything else functions. I am a bit jealous........
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Unhook the umbilical cord from the tow vehicle. If you do run your trailer battery down it'll start to draw on the tow vehicle's battery. An Airstream with a dead battery CAN be towed by a car with a good one. Now how would I know that?

We were all newbies once.

Have fun!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Hi again, an afterthought on the heat issue: our Basecamp has no heating system at all so we use a catalytic propane heater. This could work for you to offload the battery from furnace duty. (By the way, it is the furnace fan that is the killer.)

Mr. Heater is a popular brand and here is a link to the model we use which should be enough for your trailer (it raises the temperature in the Basecamp one degree per minute) : http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html
It says they are out of stock right now but you can find other suppliers.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Since you are new to this, be aware that maintaining your battery properly is key to getting the full life from the battery. A full charge on a flooded lead acid battery is 12.7 volts. Fully discharged is 11.8 volts. Drawing your battery down past 11.8 volts will harm your battery. You will be able to recharge it, but you may have just lost fifty percent of it's life span depending how far past 11.8 you let it drop. Be sure to use the battery monitor system if you are so equipped or a meter.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
First Trip

When dry camping DW and I, when we shower in the AS, place a pan or bucket in the shower and turn on the hot water. Collect the cold water and save it. Take hot shower one after the other while hot water is running through the line. We turn the pump off and use the saved cold water to flush the toilet. Of course take a Navy shower to save water. Enjoy and have many safe, trouble free and enjoyable miles.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Our first night of camping was the day we picked it up from the dealer 900 miles from home. Having never owned let alone pulled a trailer of this size before, the wife wisely selected a pull-through campsite for the first two nights. Had enough to do without learning how to back in.

Since we arrived after dark, this foresight was a godsend.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaslaon4449 View Post
We are about to take our first maiden camping trip in our 2016 22' Sport. We plan to camp for a couple of days without hook-up to see how everything works, what works, what doesn't work, how long the water lasts, etc. We're interesting in any tips, suggestions anyone might have to offer us.
Thank you!
Many on this forum have complaints concerning blowout tire separations on the stock AS tires (GYM). I had no problems in my first 16,000 miles on my new 2015 23' FB, and recently replaced them only because of severe use in Newfoundland and an abundance of caution. But it was delivered to me by the dealer with only 40lbs. of pressure in all 4 tires, when 50 is required. Double check tire pressures regularly. And also lug nuts on a new AS.

Steps up, stabilizers up, antenna down!

Have fun!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I had a 22Sport & loved it. I recommend making a checklist & sticking to it. I used the one in the owners manual and added to it things like keys. So where are your hidden spare keys before you get locked out. The grey water will be full after 4 showers. The battery will not have 12v after 2 days at the best.you only have 6 inches clearance at the sewer drain, watch those gas station entrances. When you hitch up, do 3 walk arounds. Everything up down & what's down is up".
Old 03-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
Love the steps up antenna down advice from WestieHouse! so easy to forget ... may I add to that list, remove the awning loop grabber pole from the little hanger if so equipped and close fan hatches before heading out. make a checklist! we are all newbies in some regard... new age, new place, new trailer, new adventure! have fun!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Since you are new to this, be aware that maintaining your battery properly is key to getting the full life from the battery. A full charge on a flooded lead acid battery is 12.7 volts. Fully discharged is 11.8 volts. Drawing your battery down past 11.8 volts will harm your battery. You will be able to recharge it, but you may have just lost fifty percent of it's life span depending how far past 11.8 you let it drop. Be sure to use the battery monitor system if you are so equipped or a meter.
I believe if you "kill a car battery you give up 25% of capacity every time you do that! If you kill a true deep cycle battery you lose 10% of capacity each time you do that! The heavier deep cycle plates can handle discharge somewhat better than the thin plates in a car battery.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
I had a 22Sport & loved it. I recommend making a checklist & sticking to it. I used the one in the owners manual and added to it things like keys. So where are your hidden spare keys before you get locked out. The grey water will be full after 4 showers. The battery will not have 12v after 2 days at the best.you only have 6 inches clearance at the sewer drain, watch those gas station entrances. When you hitch up, do 3 walk arounds. Everything up down & what's down is up".
I have a printed checklist....trouble is you tend to get too comfortable after a while and brush over the items as OK or complete. Make up a checklist ...including (in my case) eleven points on the hook-up of the Hensley. Hang the checklist on the hook (in my case) behind the clock. read it!! and read it again! every time!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!

May I recommend that you reconsider making your first trip a "boondocking" trip, and that you instead go to a campground with all hookups including water and sewer?

Learn to crawl before you learn to walk kind of stuff . . .

Given the limitations of your trailer (one battery, small water and holding tanks etc.) if you set out to test everything at its "full capacity" use, you will probably hit limits sooner than you think. Frustration may be just around the corner.

Maybe remove some variables by having electricity, water, and waste removal at your fingertips? Learning about boondocking can wait, in my opinion, until you really KNOW your trailer well.

Have fun, whatever you decide!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I second the advice on the checklists. Every time I skim over it or do it from memory, we have to pull off the road after 10 or so miles to do something that is on the list and suddenly flashes across my memory. Now my better half goes out very the list before we get on the road, not that she doesn't trust me ��
Old 04-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The grey tank is the Achilles heel. Dishwashing can impact it more than showers in our experience.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thank you!
Wondering if you took the trip and how it went?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Me too!

I've got a 22' Sport too. Planning on a trip to MO for a few days at end of July. I am reading all the manuals. I am an experienced camper...just not in an RV. I'll be watching the answers you get.
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
JDnutt,
Hope you like your 22 as much as we do.

Missouri state parks take online reservations--would definitely recommend. Also try to select a location that has a town with a Walmart close by in case you forget anything or lose anything.

We have found that in summer, ironically, campgrounds with few trees are actually overall cooler at night than the treed ones, which can trap in the heat and bugs. The more open the campground, the better the breeze and fewer mosquitos.

Plan a mid-day break inside in the AC for a ballgame or movie. You will find that the freezer in the 22 is the correct size for Ben and Jerry's.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I'm so glad you have your priorities straight on that ice cream note! Thanks!
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote