Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari SS SE
Vaporville , Confusion
Our first Airstream trip - Success!

TropicGal and I have returned from our first Airstream outing. This was from our home, to Key Largo Florida and back. This was also my first time towing anything. We had NO problems towing the Airstream. The Reese hitch (Im still not convinced it set up perfectly) worked well. I learned a couple of things
#1 Backing up is hard if you dont practice
#2 If your destination is an RV park and #1 applies to you, then you found the right place. There are usually more than enough qualified backer-uppers who are nice and willing to help, once they finish laughing at you.
#3 Although they are VERY similar, Boat shore cords and RV shore cords are different.
#4 You dont have to turn the gas heater off every time you are done using the hot water
#5 You can dump your grey water at most RV parks right where your site is. Thats what the big pipe coming out the ground with the cap on it is for
#6 Dumping the black tank can be a challenge if you dont do it at the site.
#7 You can turn too tightly, and probably break the tail lenses or bend the Airstream. We didnt, but came close.
#8 if it looks like the Airstream wont turn/fit there, it probably will, you just cant put it there. Refer to #1
#9 Its alot easier to sleep on an Airstream than a boat.
#10 If you buy a used Airstream, clean and deodorize the tanks BEFORE you use it!
Many other lessons were learned, but theres my top 10. We had such a great time, and are already planning our next adventure. Thank you Airforums, we could not have done this without you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	askeylargo.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	99703  

TropicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Too funny! I love your photo!

2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Glad to hear that your first trip was a success. Ours was also, to a certain degree. It was the learning experience, and we continue to learn each time we go out. Enjoy your camping months. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Fabulous list! Looking forward to hearing of more adventures.. Yes, I like the photo too.. might make a nice avatar :-)

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote