Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Our escape from Denver, CO

Just a quick pointer to our blog post about how we got trapped in Denver by that huge spring snowstorm roughly 10 days ago and how we escaped to continue our westward journey. No mean feat, considering that I-80 and I-70 were both closed at the time.

Cherry Creek SP, Aurora, CO - Casa Rocinante

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Looked like you were tilting at windmills at first, but managed to ride on to success.

Springtime in the Rockies can be daunting. We get the most snow in Nov., March and April. We were in Pueblo Apr. 15 and left to go back west on the 18th. There was a foot of snow on Monarch pass, but the roads were at worst wet from Pueblo to Grand Jct. The trick is to get to Pueblo if I-25 south of Denver is bad—you keep going upward to the Palmer Divide and Colo. Springs is 1,000' higher than Denver, so there can be rain in Denver and lots of snow south. It looked like it had snowed on Friday and mostly melted off, but you were already in Wyo,

Gene

Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Thanks, Gene. Windmills was about the only thing we did not see. Wish we could have made it over the pass on I-70 to Grand Junction, that would have been perfect! Sadly, the snow gods did not see it our way. Our biggest mistake was listening to and believing the weather forecasts. They were just so wrong it was almost comical. If we hadn't been depending on them to help us make critical travel decisions, it would have been funny.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
Just read your blog..oh my, I was nervous reading your post. We travel that route often, as family lives in Livingston Mt., so we know that road well...as well as the Douglas KOA. Hope you continue to have great weather..we are heading that way next week. Thanks for your blog link.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Hey, we're glad it was an entertaining read!

We're back home safe and sound, thanks.

Here's hoping you enjoy excellent weather for your trip to MT. It's a beautiful state, that's for sure.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I'm sorry my state jailed your without cause.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Long time residents of Colorado know that an unseasonably nice day is usually a precursor to a storm. We call it the, "warm before the storm." Glad you made it and stayed off of I-80 (what a disaster there). Nice blog BTW!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow, great story! Your blog is quite good - you write well and the layout and pictures are lovely.
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Thanks, guys. It was a pretty exciting experience. We were joking with our friends that they should really call us Snake - Snake Pliskin - because we'd escaped from Denver against all the odds.

Aside from the snowstorms and poor weather forecasting, we really had a nice visit to Denver and Aurora. For a while, though, we'll restrict our Colorado visits to the West of the Rockies.

Oh, and thanks especially for the compliments on our blog. We have fun doing it and will continue, though in less dramatic fashion...at least until our next trip. The blog is a labor of love...especially since community rules prohibit commercial links on our blog if we mention it here. So, we're particularly grateful for your kind words about our work.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've spent a LOT of time in Colorado over many years (working there). My conclusion is that they don't forecast the weather, they NARRATE it. Particularly on the front range. As a big time skier, I learned that it could be dicey just getting to the slopes. No problem flying into Denver. Problem: Eisenhower tunnel closes. You get stuck in Denver while you're paying big bucks for a condo in Vaill. I learned that lesson twice, then did ski trips to Utah instead. I cannot imagine dealing with that kind of weather with my trailer..
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Besides looking at weather forecasts, I also check road conditions from CDOT. Weather and snow conditions on the roads can change fast with our multitude of microclimates. If it gets unseasonably warm and wind is blowing from the west (chinook winds) the friction of the wind against land warms temps a lot, but the wind means snow may be coming. If a low follows the state line between Colorado and NM, it can cause lots of snow in Denver and the foothills. The low picks up warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico and then drops it as lots of snow at higher altitudes. Same thing can happen south of Denver at the Palmer Divide on I-25. Sometimes Denver gets a few inches and a few thousand feet up, feet of snow falls. We used to live up there at 8,000' and we could get 3' overnight. 20 miles west of Evergreen (just off I-70) they may only have inches. It was interesting to commute into Denver, but we always made it. If the snow came late in afternoon, I-70 up through Mt. Vernon Canyon would be a disaster with cars all over the place and abandoned. We would get through by taking back roads—same amount of snow, but no amateurs or big trucks stuck. I was always amazed how many people drove on bad tires and how many truckers didn't want to put on chains. That's why most people who live above Denver have 4wd.

Gene