Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
House of the Sun
2008 23' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
Our 1st Big Trip! What to stow and where? Oven? Sink?

Hey there Airstream folks!

We've been diggin' into the forums here to find answers to all of our newbie questions over the last several months. We've taking our girl out on a few "test runs" so far, but our 1st BIG adventure is just around the corner. We are gearin' up for a 24 day road trip taking us on a tour of several National Parks including Yellowstone where we will be getting married! Wooooo hooooo! That said, we're reachin' out to all of you "seasoned 'streamers" for some last minute pointers.

1. Any problems with stowing a nesting set of stainless-steel cookware (pots & pans) in the oven while we're towing? We were planning on packin' them in there with a towel or something to prevent them from bouncing around.

2. Same question, but with for kitchen sink…any issues with stowing things in the kitchen sink while in tow?

3. What basic dry-goods do you keep in your pantry?

Okey dokey…that's all we've got for now! Thanks in advance for any and all advice…these forums are great…and 'streamers rock!

See ya on the road,

Shaina & Jason

PS - we did start a blog to document our adventure, so follow along if ya'd like: Shaina & Jason

Haleakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia

With our micro-Bambi, storage is a big issue-- which we've mostly solved by having a pick-up truck with a cap (canopy) over the back for hauling all kinds of stuff, like canoe paddles and extra food for long trips.

I can't comment on the oven ('cause our sixteener doesn't have one) but in general, I would suggest you just consider where things will go once the unconventional storage area is actually in use for its intended purpose. If you want to use the oven, for example, where do you put those pots and pans in the interim? If you store things under the table, where do they go when you sit there?

One thing I would recommend is to think through whether you need all of those kitchen utensils. Can you get by with one more multi-purpose pan, for instance, instead of two or three more specialized ones? After a couple of years of camping trips, I cleared out a lot of stuff that seemed like a good idea at the time but that we seldom used. The one thing I would add now are a couple of larger bowls for when we pot-luck with friends or relatives.

Just make sure everything is unbreakable or super well-packed. We take crystal wine glasses, for example, but packed in their original shipping boxes and with a foam or bubble-wrap packing layer over top. Even a paved road can have rough construction.

We put a couple of those water bottles with filters and a dish scrubber in the sink for traveling.

Dry goods:

1. An assortment of multi-purpose herbs and spices. Try to have blends that work with more than one cuisine. Salt, pepper, dried onions & garlic, hot sauce, soy sauce. Things that will spice up a more basic dish.

2. Breakfast cereal plus some canned or powdered milk (in case we run out of fresh.)

3. A few canned goods. A can of artichoke hearts will kick-up a lot of bland dishes.

4. A very few baking staples (flour, soda, salt.)

5. Some dry pasta, quick-cooking rice, and then things with long shelf-life that can dress them, such as a package of dried tomatoes, dried shitake mushrooms.

6. Snacks like some nuts, crackers, chips.

Enjoy your travels and new relationships with one another and your AS!

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Newbie here and have been on the road for 6 weeks now. No need to overload on the food. Stores everywhere. I have nesting cookware which is working out great. Just make an effort to store heavy items as low as they will fit.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
We use the oven to store pans and just let them bang around.

I generally say that if an item does not get used on a 2 week trip then it goes out next time. (Hence my tendency to pull out the pie iron on the last day of a trip and use it over the stove!)

I pack baking mix or self rising flour instead of regular flour.

General staples for me are:
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup
Baking mix
Spaghetti noodles
Spaghetti sauce
Mac and cheese
Basic spices
Plus fresh stuff and specific meal plans
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a microwave now, had a conventional gas oven in the first two A/S I owned. I stored only light weight stuff in the oven. didn't want anything damaging the burner. It would be even more critical with a microwave. Don't want the glass door OR the magnetron whacked. I kept spare paper towels, plastic bags, etc. in the oven. My best storage ever? Two small folding ottomans from Bed Bath and beyond. Put your feet up on them when watching TV, sit on them, stand on them to find stuff in upper cabinets if you're a lightweight. Keep your booze in one, heavy pots and pans in the other. When traveling, put spongy shelf liner under them to keep them from sliding around your floor.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Oregon City , Oregon
We`ve not had a need to store things in the oven or sink while on the road, but if we did we would make sure not to let it bang around. We use a small frying pan in the cabinet under the oven and medium sized kettle and veggie steamer in the overhead. We found smoked salmon chowder in foil packets at a sea food market that we keep in the cabinet next to the stove., really good stuff! We put our bread in the microwave. I take oatbran that I keep in a canister in the overhead along with a coffee press.
mike warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
The sink is the best place for our watermelon!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, our trailer has the double sink; One has a plastic dish dryer/rack, and the other has a plastic tub that fits it pretty well. Sometimes we put things in plastic sink tub or dish rack. We keep a few things in our oven, but they are things that we would use for oven cooking. We pre-cook items and freeze them at home just before a trip.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
House of the Sun
2008 23' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
Thank you!

Hey there folks...thanks to everyone for their replies and advice! It will certainly help us on our way...our grand wedding adventure begins in the morning. Happy trails to all...and to all a safe ride! Cheers...Shaina & Jason

Shaina & Jason
Live. Love. Laugh. Play. Our credo, everyday.
Haleakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We'll be in Yellowstone in the next week. If you need a streamer to witness your nuptials.......

Or if you want to just meet other Airstream people........

You'll figure everything out in first few days out. My best advice (from a well travelled full timer) is to bring the important stuff from home and stop worrying about the rest. Check your tire air pressure EVERY morning before you head out. Do this when the tires are cold. Don't forget a cork screw or wine key and make certain you know how to cook a trout.

Best wishes..... my kids are following your blog and can't wait to hear you are married.

BTW all park service gift shops have a series of replica "naturalist service" post cards. We collect these as we visit a new park. Make great AS wall art and a reminder of where we have been.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
We always pack a few extra canned goods (chicken, beef, Spam, Vienna sausage, mushroom soup, etc.), Ramen noodle cups, pasta, rice, dry beans, and survival-type supplies in case we get stranded or find a good boondocking spot and don't want to make a grocery run into town. These extra supplies have come in handy several times.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote